HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What is your biggest fault while deer hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/140776-what-your-biggest-fault-while-deer-hunting.html)

Jimmy S 04-26-2006 09:11 AM

What is your biggest fault while deer hunting?

I will have to admit, I can become very stubborn when it comes to stayingin a particular treestand longer than I should.

Part of me says.... to move, the other partsays... this place has been good in the past and the longer I stay the better my odds. Sometimes I regret staying, sometimes I regret leaving.

That would have to be my biggest fault....to overhunt an area.

Shootstuff4570 04-26-2006 09:46 AM

RE: What is your biggest fault while deer hunting?

i'd have to say i sleep to much. i got lucky last year. i was sleeping and woke up with a doe right in front of me. then a few minutes later a the spike i ended up shootin came in.

quiksilver 04-26-2006 09:50 AM

I'd have to say - sitting at work.

Pa Trophy Man 04-26-2006 10:28 AM

I have a tendency to rush shots.

Garminator 04-26-2006 10:59 AM

I agree with PA...I would say rushing shots...

trophyhuntr 04-26-2006 12:12 PM

SLEEPING

smokechaser 04-26-2006 12:13 PM

probably not putting in enough time. Im a diehard elk hunter and deer get put on the back burner until i down an elk so i usually dont have much time left for deer and usually just wind up on a quick little evening hunt shooting a little buck.

MikeVT 04-26-2006 02:12 PM

I sometimes definitely stay in the stand too long, but since I have to hunt public land almost exclusively, an animal could be pushed to me at any time.

Kamil 04-26-2006 02:20 PM

i usually forget a lot of gear and im very disorganized

dkhamner 04-26-2006 03:22 PM

not beating the poacher to my own land on opening morning.... or catching those buttheads in the act!!!

huntinyoung 04-26-2006 03:26 PM

rushing shots

Serioushunter1 04-26-2006 03:58 PM

I have a couple: not staying in the stand the entire day and spitting tobacco juice on the ground below my stand.

cardeer 04-26-2006 06:26 PM

EAT AND DRINK TO MUCH

North Texan 04-26-2006 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I'd have to say - sitting at work.
Same here, except mine is a combination of school and work.

MOTOWNHONKEY 04-26-2006 10:33 PM

none

Mike Hill 04-27-2006 06:07 AM

Ya know if it wasen't for deer hunting I'd probibly be worth somthing. I am guilty of taking all my time off work (vacation. Personal time,sick time). Nothing gets done at home either. I spend money I should be spending on christmas for my wife. Who ever thought up hunting and christmas at the same time(get a rope). And like I said the house could be falling down it don't get done till Jan. I don't put in the storm windows or storm doors Sept.-Jan I get completely single brain cell and thats deer. of course the rest of the year I'm reading about them or watching vidio and the past couple years I now have these web sights. Any way my name is Mike and I'm a deeraholic.

BBkiller 04-27-2006 06:53 AM

Ihunt too much in late Oct and am too burnt out to hunt the best days in Nov during the rut. I see my biggest bucks in Nov while I'm walking around the wood when I should be in my stands. I'm going to try and not make that mistake this year.

P.S. MikeHill I feel your pain.

uncle matt 04-27-2006 06:57 AM

Well I got three "faults" while deer hunting.

Number one, no matter HOW MUCH sleep I've gotten prior to taking a stand, I always seem to get tired and wind up taking little 5 minute cat naps here and there. I guess the 5 minutes ain't too bad. I always scan really well before the 5 minute nod, so no too many can give me the slip I guess.

Number two "fault", if it can be considered an actual "fault" is that I rush the shot. I always wind up blasting one of the first good dummies that comes in. Can't tell ya the amount of years I've spent IN deer camp while the other guys are still looking to fill their tags. I refuse to play camp cookie though. Sometimes wind up at the Chuck Wagon resteraunt & bar cause I still have radio contact with the guys while I'm in there.

Number three is eating al kinds of foods that leave me afield like a ripe clove of garlic with onions.

beulahboy 04-27-2006 07:16 AM

Mike, that was funny as crap! I am the same way about stuff at the house from Oct to Feb.- thank God my wife understands!!
Thanks for the post

GregH 04-27-2006 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Ya know if it wasen't for deer hunting I'd probibly be worth somthing. I am guilty of taking all my time off work (vacation. Personal time,sick time). Nothing gets done at home either. I spend money I should be spending on christmas for my wife. Who ever thought up hunting and christmas at the same time(get a rope). And like I said the house could be falling down it don't get done till Jan. I don't put in the storm windows or storm doors Sept.-Jan I get completely single brain cell and thats deer. of course the rest of the year I'm reading about them or watching vidio and the past couple years I now have these web sights. Any way my name is Mike and I'm a deeraholic.
I feel compelled to join your group![:-]

GooseHunter Jr. 04-27-2006 08:21 AM

Patience!

Serioushunter1 04-27-2006 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Hello Mike my name is Steve and I too am a deeraholic. I cut my honeymoon short by three days in rder to be able to get home in time for muzzloading season in Oct 2000.

Rebel Hog 04-27-2006 10:13 AM

Keeping awake in the Tree Lounge!:D

Champlain Islander 04-27-2006 10:18 AM

1) I am a tracker and one of my biggest faults is not going slow enough when I get close.
2) I get excited and have been known to rush the shot.

Rebel Hog 04-27-2006 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

1) I am a tracker and one of my biggest faults is not going slow enough when I get close.

Watch it CI, pepole might take that the wrong way!:D

Champlain Islander 04-27-2006 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Especially when we are talking about pe poles right Reb.:D:D:D:D:D:D

4Hunters 04-27-2006 10:42 AM

1) Patience
2) Sleeping

Rebel Hog 04-27-2006 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Especially when we are talking about pe poles right Reb.:D:D:D:D:D:D

What is your mind on today? Blow your own Horn andPe Poles? Geeez:D:D:D:D:D:D

Champlain Islander 04-27-2006 10:58 AM

That is what I like is a person with a sense of humor....I don't care where you are from. Only a humorous northern sportsman could skillfully manipulate language to provide humor...Oh wait that is TDWW's shtick.

Rebel Hog 04-27-2006 11:04 AM

That is what I like is a person with a sense of humor....I don't care where you are from. Only a humorous northern sportsman could skillfully manipulate language to provide humor...Oh wait that is TDWW's shtick.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF 04-27-2006 12:21 PM

Thought provoking post. A man must dig deep into his memory bank and consider all the mistakes made while in the deer woods. Seasons past, hopefully enjoyed with close family or friends, dug up from beneath the surface and uncovered with the hesitation of someone exuming a body from the graveburied ages ago. Inspection time. Disection. Fine tooth comb. tim Tebow.

I have hunted the woods of middle Ga and North Florida my entire life. Gone out by myself more than a few times and once stayed 3 weeks in a tent during the month of October when it was so warm I literally prayed for a lung failure one late night. Panic.

My biggest struggle with that life-long pursuit of the elusive whitetail deer is probably more to do with danger. Probably take too many risks while chasing mossy horns about the woods. Cause for concern. Whether it is not drinking enough water or harrassing alligators, I would say risk taking is my main fault.

Salty tooth hanging in the branches at neck level? Probably spit tobacco juice on him and have an old fashioned stare down. Come accross an underhanded raccoon or armedillo with an appetite for caucasion blood? It is likely that I will throw dirt clods at him, or maybe sharp sticks.

But to me, danger is part of the experience. Do I flirt with danger? yes. To a fault? More than likely. But again, guys, when yoou GREW UP HUNTING THESE VERY WOODS THAT YOU STILL HUNT TODAY as a grown man, you have to demand respect. And I get it.

bigpapa 04-27-2006 01:26 PM

A big AMEN to ya there TD!

MOTOWNHONKEY 04-27-2006 02:01 PM

lol TD:DYou demanded it and got it. (Respect)

WKP Todd 04-27-2006 02:06 PM

Hunting in the wrong state for 15 too many years!

Adirondack Hunter 04-27-2006 02:53 PM

i dont think i do anything wrong, but thenagain i dont hunt deer yet! My brother on the other hand, calls his wife when we are out in the woods, sprays scented deoderant on in the morning, talks loud, walks loud, doesnt sit and wait, doesnt scout, wears very poor traction boots (sliped on top of his rifle 6 time this fall, ironically.) Basically he walks through the woods with a gun, he doesnt hunt.

Champlain Islander 04-27-2006 03:09 PM

TD when is your first book coming out. For a minute I could imagine myself deep within the Florida Everglades all alone complete with all the sights, sounds and smells of the swamps. Good post and that comes from a .....aaa.......aaaa.........aaaaaa oh heck a Yankee.:D

Nord QC Bouman 04-28-2006 10:54 AM

Yup - tell my kids to keep calling to wake me up. One time I woke up and a small martin was standing in front of me with a hand on my knee looking up and wondering what I was. I opened my eyes - we lookd at each other and he hissed and took off.

G5 04-28-2006 11:16 AM

LOL........apparently my biggest fault is not hunting in North Florida with the snakes, alligators andsmall bodied deer

TDWW........best post yet.........LMAO:D:D:D:D:D:D

you should try a bear hunt, or big cat. im sure they would love for you to throw dirt and sharp sticks at them. Dont forget the video camera, we would all like to see the outcome, oh and dont forget to tell someone where your hunting so we can go find the camera.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chuck7 04-28-2006 12:13 PM

3 I can think of.Not staying long enough in stand...and advoiding certain areas because of snakes and gatores.Also...not climbing high enough up the tree.
C7

nctaxi 04-28-2006 07:47 PM

Learned this one this past year. Had2 guys I thought were good friends, called all season, seasons over no calls. I feel so used, cheap and dirty. They actually took friends with them, totaling 5 people and all 5 killed bucks off my properties. And then when turkey season rolls around they call and TELL me they are going to hunt there. WRONG! And they got mad about it. I have hunted these places for 7 years. Boy was I pissed! I even mounted their deer for them at a discount. Once they had their deer they forgot all about it. Big surprise coming for them this year. I got 2 new friends that really appreciate me taking them hunting and once the oldest can draw a bow look out, the youngest just started taking an interest this turkey season:D. 2 of the best partners I could ask for, they still think I know everything.