Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you still go out?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Would you still go out?

Yes ..but not in a tree.
I'd build a ground blind.
C7
Old 03-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did it quite a few years ago. Blew out my knee and had knee surgery inOctober. Was still "supposed" to be on crutches when deer season rolled around the end of November. I started the season with the crutches in tow, but soon just started walking with my brace on. Probably pretty stupid as I look back now but I'd have to be on my death bed to miss opening day!!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Site Buck Guru

I chopped myself in the foot with an axe, got a cast, went out and hunted in trees until the cast broke off. I got a deer 2 weeks later.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:32 AM

I've hunted with broken ribs, severly pulled back muscles and twice with full leg casts. Just wrapped a green towel around the white casts.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted with anything broken, but I have gone while sick. I've had the flu and colds many many times but that wont stop me. I've with with sprained ankles(which in the Texas Hill Country, if any of you guys hunt there, is A PAIN when your feet aren't up to snuff).

My dad's gone with shingles AND a broken toe. Broke his toe the morning we got up to go to the ranch. Couldn't where boots and his tennis shoes were too tight. So he cut the toe area out of one of the sneakers so he could walk. Sucked when he stumbled through some prickley pear though!

My dad had a friend who got hog cut pretty bad and his leg was still no good by hunting season, so he rigged a pulley system to lift himself into his bow stand. Worked so well he never stopped using it for years afterwards.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I’d be out hunting...
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Done it!..Well Kinda. Two Novembers ago I had surgery on my hip to remove a septic infection from it. I had the surgery two weeks before the opening of PA rifle, and I still had both staples in my leg, along with a tube/drain bag little thingy hanging from my side on opening day. None-the-less, I walked (ok more like gimped) back to my treestand where I sat there all day and shot a doe near dark. To top it off, I was hunting near a drop off for acreek and after I shot the doe, she took a nose dive over the 20 ft. embankment. Because I couldn't drag anything, my Dad and Grandpa had to pull her back up the vertical wall while I stood at the top and laughed. It was a good day!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad had a friend who got hog cut pretty bad and his leg was still no good by hunting season, so he rigged a pulley system to lift himself into his bow stand. Worked so well he never stopped using it for years afterwards.
now that is one smart man!!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

If I had to crawl I'd find a way , the spot in my backyard where I meat hunt is fairly close .
Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 PM

i did have a severly broken leg.i broke me femar bone in the growth plate and split it from the bottom up like two or three inches then out, plus i severly strained my acl.this happened all at once and i started bow huntingagain the next weekend.i drove the quad up up far then walked, and crutched 200 yards to my stand.three weeks later i got tired or the crutches and hopped, but my mom and doc woulda killed me if they knew, cause they thought i was hunting outta a blind right next to my quad.but i just kept hunting outta my stand.By the time of the gun season i was off crutches so i limped around cause its hard to walk with a gun and crutches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.