Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have you been effected by CWD? >

Have you been effected by CWD?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
23.33%
NO
76.67%
I know someone effected by CWD
0%
Whats CWD?
0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Have you been effected by CWD?

Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have you been effected by CWD?

Has anybody been affected by CWD.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you been effected by CWD?

haven't heard of any here in MO. yet. Knock on wood!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has affected alot of Wisconsin especially in the southern third of the state. The DNR thinks the way to eliminate is to reduce the deer heard BIG TIME! They think the disease is spread from deer to deer contact like sharing a bait pile. Thats why alot of the state can't bait. Plus to thin the heard they make you "earn a buck" by shooting an anterless deer first thus hopefully taking away next years fawns before they are born. I have no problem shooting anterless deer because I hunt for meat first, then I look for horns if I want too. Of course earn a buckdoesn't sit well with the "buck hunters" who can't bring themselves to pull the trigger on an anterless deer, but will shoot a basket rack buck like thats supposed to be more macho. (Thats a whole other issue.)Speaking of the meat once you register your deer in most CWD areas they cut off the head to send it to a lab for testing. Then its about 4-8 weeks to get the results back. Hopefully negative! Alot of guys don't trust the DNR, but especially with the CWD handling. The farm next to one of my spotshad a bow kill test positive last fall. So that same deer probably roamed my woods at one time. It pretty much sucks not knowing what the future of CWDis going to bring to the great deer heard of Wisconsin.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM

I voted yes but only kinda. I live in NW Ohio and this year the DNR wanted to keep my deer head for testing on CWD. But they say ohio is free so far.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 PM

im curious as if there have been and cwd cases reported in humans and what has happened to them due to the diesease
Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

CWD has been found in a couple areas here. Herd reduction hunts have been on going in these areas for the past few years, while animals are being found to carry CWD the numbers aren't that large. However our Dept. of Resources is taking the cull approachto try to keep it from spreading elsewhere. Neither of these areas are whereI hunt or real close by so it hasn't effected me personally in that extend.

I have yet to hear of any positive cases being found in humans. That said our DNR are saying any animal confirmed with CWD should not be consumed just in case.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not yet ,but getting close
Old 03-18-2006, 09:04 AM

I also live in Southern WI, and I have been affected. Souther WI has been broken into 3 zones....Normal, with no CWD impact, a Herd reduction zone, and a her elimination Zone. In both the CWD zones, you had to 'earn a buck' by shooting an anterless or spiked deer (less than 3" each side) to get a buck tag, and unlimited anterless = unlimited bucks, now this year, for most of the season in the CWD xones they took away the 'earn-a-buck' process, and said unlimited either sex (4 deer either sex per day limit for nearly a full month, for a total of over 100 deer per person that can legally be shot durring the gun season alone). Then they cut the head off of EVERY deer this year, sent them in for testing, and gave you a tracking # that you could look up online, or wait about 2 months, and they would mail you results on testing. Less than .35% tested positive this year in WI.

Now, if you did have a deer that tested positive, you would get a $200.00 reward, and so would the land owner. I don't know, but I think that with the population that low, I dont think that you should be allowed that many tags per person, per season. The vast majority of hunters in this area agree, and for the most part (with the always rare 'sportsmen' that hunt for trophies, and trophies alnoe) People in this area just shoot whatever it takes to fill the freezer.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Bringing caribou back from Canada has been more difficult. All meat has to be deboned and the scull cap and hide has to be totally clean with no meat on it at all. I hunted NY last year and because they found afew casesin central NY I had to butcher my deer at the camp and only bring boned meat back to Vt. This year I will be going elk hunting in Colorado and won't be able to bring anything but boned meat and the antlers back into the state.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

No I have never been affected by CWD. I dont think it has made it to GA yet.

They think the disease is spread from deer to deer contact like sharing a bait pile. Thats why alot of the state can't bait.
Thats not why most states wont let you bait , they see it as taking advantage of the deer by putting bait out. If ya ask me its the same as planting a food plot , just another way to get the deer to come to you.

Quick Reply: Have you been effected by CWD?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.