Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent block and covers

Old 10-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Scent block and covers

I have bow hunted for years and have yet to find a product that will do any good when it comes to scent covering. I have found that no matter what I use, if the deer get up wind of me they know it right off. Is there any thing out there that realy works ? Or am I just wasting money on these types of products. I use to not every use this stuff, now that I have started I have seen no difference in my harvesting. I still have to have my nose in the wind at all times.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Scent block and covers

As you said when they sniff you out, thier gone! Keep the wind in your face no matter what.

The products out there do indeed help, but none of them are perfect.
They do help to cover sents, cover not eliminate.

And for sent eliminators I have yet to find one my self that truly eliminates ALL of our sent.

What many people/hunter fail to realize is that our breath can be detected, the dander that falls from our skin can be detected, and this (dander) is always falling from our body.

Further more our hair can fall, and many other misc. factors come into effect. What did we pick up on our boots while walking to the stand, is there gum on our boots? Did we ware them from our home to the camp site? and for example did we stop at the gas station?

In short the only way to try and eliminate our sents and other sents for the most part is prevention!

What I would suggest is this, throughly wash your cloths in the SPECIAL cleanser there are many hunting detergents on the market to look into. Wash your cloths and air dry them.

Once you have done this try to keep the cloths out of too many foreign sents, to the deer.

Before you plan to go hunting place ALL of your articals of clothing into a large leaf bag with some natural sents particular to your hunting area, items like pine straw, cracked acorns, and even dirt.

Seal your cloths and all the extras and let them sit until your ready to head out.

Now, as far as using the sent cover or eliminator sprays, pull this out as you are ready to head to your stand. Spray it throughly on your boots and cloths, use it up.

You can drag sent behind you as you are walking to your stand or hunting area. Spraying the sent eliminator product at this point increases it's effectivness.

You have taken the steps to TRY and eliminate the smells from your clothing and boots by washing a storing them in a sealed unit. and takeing them out when you intend to hunt. There for when you use the spray, less is more so to speak.

PREVENTION, PREVENTION, PREVENTION. Keep the wind in your face and keep your clothing sealed up. When I return from a hunt, before I sit around the fire or start socializing I take my hunting cloths off and place them back in the a sent controled bag.

Hope this brings some light to your situation.

Good luck and happy hunting!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

jred
Thanks for the advice. I do pretty much what you have mentioned. I was just curious if there was a real sent killer. Something I have done that seems a little unorthadox is to role in the dirt and leaves before walking to my hunting spot. Even doing that I have seen no difference. Like it has been said, to be a hunter you have got to play the wind right. I guess it will hold true forever.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:30 PM

Burnie,

Try out the new Carbon sent eliminator. I just bought some at K-Mart, It's suppose to work well. If you do get some, I would suggest you spray it very liberally and try to cover every sq. inch.

I've been caught rolling in the dirt and leave too. keep doing it, it does help!

Good Luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!