HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What Do You Do for the Deer After the season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/133682-what-do-you-do-deer-after-season.html)

3Ddepression 02-21-2006 04:13 AM

RE: What Do You Do for the Deer After the season?

Good thread!
We put hay in the feeders well before winter sets in, so that the deers digestion will be used to work it when its neeeded. Extra minerals and loads of sugar beets help them stay strong over the winter and also keep the feeeding pressure lower on newly planted pine areas.
The traditional oatbundles are popular, but thats more of a luxury rather than staple food.
Also we try to "half cut" some leaf trees so that they fall but remain intact on half the stem. The crown will be eaten and the leftovers will start to grow next year into a good cover.
In autumn, it is a good time to attach tiny branches from household apple trees, to wild growing sour stems.Tasty and bigger harvests of apples will be appreciated by game.

Its a good time to plan for food and cover plots and by all means dont forget the hunting part! Keep after the predators!

DoctorDeath 02-21-2006 06:48 AM

Well ... I dont shoot at them :D

dd

Jimmy S 02-21-2006 08:48 AM

We never do anything once the season is closed. Also, we are highly discouraged from feeding wild deer during the winter months. (see why at NH Fish and Game web-site).

We hunt Maine and NH and mostly 'big woods".....

GregH 02-21-2006 03:08 PM

I let them rest until next season, they're going to need it!;)

timbercruiser 02-21-2006 03:39 PM

We have about 7 cameras we are putting out to see what bucks are moving around now the season is over. This weekend we are going to take a bunch of soil samples and start liming. We also have 3 potential leases we are going to look at.

Brandon1423s 02-21-2006 04:20 PM

Behind our house me and my dad have set up some feeders and trail cameras. We have also been out looking for sheds, and i got some great video the other day

FlDeerman 02-21-2006 08:18 PM

We put out minerals and deer chow.The minerals are best for the does when they'er nursing.

Hotburn76 02-21-2006 08:42 PM

I keep the mineral blocks out mainly. I try to leave them alone in the hard winter since they are stressed out as it is, they don't need my help.

coyote170 02-21-2006 09:04 PM

Keep the mineral licks fresh and have a farmer friend who gives me corn
left in his semi trucks and I have a trailer I pull behind my four wheeler
and pour it along the roads at my hunting club![8D]

NCYankee 02-22-2006 10:39 PM

I shoot coyotes!