Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what do you think

Old 10-21-2002, 10:10 PM

Default what do you think

hey, i'm going hunting this year and i am only getting a buck tag. it will hopefully be my first buck. i decided that evnthoughi really want one that if i saw a spike or amall 4 piont i'd let it go just so it can grow up and hopefully become a nice buck. my cousin shot a spike and it was her first and my uncle shot one but it was his first deer in 17 years. my question is what do you all think about my decision, would u do the same in my position??

DEATH IS CERTAIN, LIFE IS NOT
Old 10-21-2002, 10:17 PM

Default RE: what do you think

Its ultimately your choice. In most parts of the country the doe population is somewhat out of whack. An antlerless tag would help that.

You hunting horns? I agree with the concept of letting them mature.

Sooner

"Size isn't important, but it sure helps!"
Old 10-21-2002, 10:22 PM

i'm hunting just for the love of hunting, horns wouldn't be a bad bonus though, i still think i should let it grow up and see what happens, if i get it in a few years great if someone else does at least they might have a nice trophy.

DEATH IS CERTAIBN, LIFE IS NOT
Old 10-22-2002, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a personal decision, you are right they will get bigger the following year if someone else doesn't get them after you let them walk. I will add something else here, are you hunting horns? If so let them walk, but if you are looking for meat and hunting public land you may as well take a spike or fork horn, they are better eating and stand a slim chance of making the season through.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-22-2002, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your first buck, I'd take a spike. Once you break the ice, then you can hold out for the big boy. It will be a good way to compare future deer. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 10-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Its all a personal choice. I would weigh all options. If you only get to hunt on a limited schedual, I would say shoot some meat and not let it walk; It could be your only chance. If you get to hunt on a regular basis, let it walk and wait for what you want. Also take in consideration how many deer are around. If during your scouting you say now sighns of a big deer then you could be waiting for nothing.

Personally I let many deer walk. I am blessed with the ability to hunt any time I want. And my land has many deer. So its like I said, weight all options and do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree you can't shoot a big one, if you shoot a spike. However being you haven't shoot a buck...period. You shouldn't be ashamed or feel less by harvesting a smaller buck, you have to start somewhere. A lot depends on your area and hunting schedule, let that dictate what you should harvest.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:12 PM

I've never killed a deer with a bow yet either. While I do have an any deer tag "if it's brown it's down" for me. I get to hunt friday cause we don't have school or practice. Woooo hohooo
Old 10-22-2002, 08:30 PM
Spike

It'd depend entirely on how many deer the boy's have on the pole. If we've got less than 2 I'd take the spike. Young deer are usually the most tender, yum!

You can't eat what you miss!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.