Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Decoys

Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Decoys

How many of you have succesfully harvested a deer with the help of a decoy? I don't know a lot of about 'em and am wondering if I should purchase any this summer.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Deer Decoys

We have taken a few by using our MaKenzie deer target as a decoy! My Brother-In-Law even has taken 2by just using the front half of the target by placing it so it looks like its behind a tree. Decoys definately work!!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 AM

I rattled at a buck trailing a doe this year and was able to pull him away from her, he hung up at 30 yards when he couldn't see the deer he thougt was there! He kept walking back and forth looking ,and was confused cause he couldn't see any deer .I know he would have came to me if i had the decoy out!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

They can make for fun days.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a McKenzie target to take a buck also. It was a target that was all worn out and had a hole shot through it. We patched it up with that foam in a can and painted it to look a bit more realistic. We drilled a 1 1/4 hole in its rear and inserted a 35 mm film canister. Put cotton in the canister and put some doe-in-heat scent on the cotton.

My father also used this decoy to take a buck.

I hate to admit it but I wounded another buck also with the decoy. There was a small field that I've watched two bucks chase does around and around a few nites before. The rut was peaking. All I could do was watch as they ran around out of range. A couple nites later I brought the decoy. I couldn't carry the treestand, decoy and bow, so I opted to leave the treestand in the truck.I arrived extra early and set up at the edge of the field, hunting from the ground. I went back across the field and put some doe-in-heat scent on a rag and drug it towards my set-up.
A few hours later I saw a buck running toward me with his head low and neck out stretched, just like when they are chasing does. He ran right up to thhe decoy and started sniffing its rear. Meanwhile I was drawed back and trying to settle the sightpin behind his shoulder. Just as I released, he sprang back away from the decoy.He must of smelled something else other than the doe-in-heat scent. Anyways, I missed! He stood and looked at the decoy and then at me. Then back at the decoy and back at me. I decided to try another shot. I slowly got another arrow from my quiver as he looked back and forth. It seemed to me that since the decoy didn't run, he didn't run. It was like he was watching for a reaction from the decoy. anyway, I shot again. i ended up hitting the shoulder blade. The arrow only penetrated about an inch and a half. I searched later that nite and called off work and searched the next day. I trailed him about 150 yds as the blood trail slowly ran out. I then started just searching. I didn't find him.

Yes, decoys work. There are a few things I've noticed when using them. Does seem to be really suspicious of them. I've seen does stand and stomp their feet and snort at them. Bucks react different. The funny thing is when the real deer run they sometimes stop and look back at the decoy. It is as if they are wondering why it didn't run. Bucks almost always approacha DOEdecoy to its rear. So set it up facing away from you. Bucks approach a BUCK decoy facing it. So set the decoy facing you to present a quarting away shot.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I missed out on a nice 10 point buck this season ,because as he was about to walk into my setup while bowhunting ,my arrow nock slipped off the string ,by the time I recovered he had slipped through my shooting lane .I know if I had had a decoy in front of me I would have gotten a second chance at him .This was just before the rut was to kick in to full swing .I know lot's of guy's that use the decoy's for archery hunting and they all swear by them .I don't have one yet ,but I'll garauntee I'll be using one for next season.

nubo
Old 02-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Spike

My brother kept seeing a nice 150 class buck this past season from opening day to the rut (5 times). Every time though it would never come in close enough. It would always stay out about 100 yards or more across a bean field, and not really care about any type of calling. Then one day during the rut he used my renzo decoy (doe) and with a little help from "the can" the buck finally came in close enough and my brother got him. He said as soon as the buck saw the decoy he did a fast trot all the way in.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:00 PM

I've used a delta doe and buck decoy but I didn't have any deer come to them this year.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

I've not had much luck with one. I did however fool a pack of coyotes with one. They were chasing a spike and he ran right by the decoy. As I watched him run on I turned back to see what was making him run so hard. There were 6 coyotes circling the decoy, one made 2-3 lunges at it before they decided something wasn't right.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:35 PM

This year I forked out 100 bucks for the flambue decoy and had no luck. I had some bucks see it and come close but just out of bow range. I almost put it up on ebay but then I ran into a guy at the local store and we just started talking about them. He told me and I think he is right that I used it to much at the begining of the season and they got wise. He said only use it when rut is starting to peak and bucks have their guard down. He said they just got wise on me before they got horny. So its in the shed and I will give it a try next year.

Quick Reply: Deer Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.