Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 A letter from Jimmy Houston..... >

A letter from Jimmy Houston.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A letter from Jimmy Houston.....

Old 02-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A letter from Jimmy Houston.....

How touching....... end up leaving a lot more questions than it does answer anything IMO.

During the first week of February, we received a message from Kyle Crawford about a vicious attack against Mothwing and me by the National Wildlife Federation, PETA and "concerned" hunters.

I asked Kyle to get me the numbers of those who sent e-mails and I would call them. I called every number he gave me on Friday, February 3. Naturally several of the numbers were probably PETA affiliated, some were not available or didn't answer, but I did get to talk to eight or ten actual hunters. I didn't ask these guys to alter their opinion or their passion. I simply wanted them to know the facts from me.

First, I want to apologize to any hunter or non-hunter who has been personally hurt or damaged by my deer hunt at Bellars. The primary inference on the video produced by the National Wildlife Federation is that I shot or was hunting drugged deer and that I
was doing it in a 3-6 acre pen.

1. The Federal Drug Administration asked me for three packages of the meat to test for drugs. I had no idea what drugs they were testing for - I actually thought they might be looking for a steroid maybe used in raising big deer. They tested the meat and found no drugs. Then they asked me if I would give them the rest of the meat. I voluntarily did this and this meat was also tested. I specifically asked the FDA agent at the trial if any drugs were found in my meat and he told me NO-there was none. By the
way, we had already eaten some of the meat and it was perfectly ok.

2. I was not hunting in a 3-6 acre pen. We were hunting in a high-fenced area and the stand that they had me in was within 10 yards of a fence. This fence went over the hill and we could not see how far it went. As I testified in the trial, we went over the hill and never did reach the other end of the high fence. There is no way I could estimate the size of the area. It could be 50 acres, it could be 500 acres. The entire high fence area, as I was told was 1200 acres, but, yes, there were section fences. The fence that is seen on the video is the same fence we were beside. There is video shot in one direction and video shot in the other
direction of the same fence. Bear in mind that the camera was in a different stand than the one I was in. I got in this tree stand at 7AM on this morning and shot the deer at 11:10. That is over 4 hours. It was 20 degrees.

3. Russ Bellar did come out and check on us around 9:00AM. We saw several deer; we even saw a deer go under the fence. The buck I shot was a 6 ½ or 7 ½ year old buck and was chasing a doe. There were literally hundreds of deer on Bellars place. At the time, nothing seemed unusual other than it was really cold. I completely agree with all hunters about shooting drugged deer in pens. This is wrong. I share your same passion and have spent my entire life hunting and have worked diligently to promote,
protect and preserve this great heritage.

Have I ever broken a law or been put in an awkward position? Of course. Should I be singled out and crucified for hunting at Bellars where hundreds of others have hunted? I don't believe so.

From the very first day I was contacted by the Federal Wildlife Department, I have cooperated fully and truthfully. I was always called "a witness and or a victim" by the prosecution and I did testify for the state. This is indeed very hurtful when you have given your entire life to the promotion and betterment of hunting and fishing.

We see on television every day where individuals attack, blow up, kill and maim people all over the world. We call these folks terrorists and wonder how anyone could develop that much hate. Yet with a few seconds of produced video, hate has welled up so much in some as to want to destroy me, our television show, and any company we are involved with.

Again, if I have hurt anyone, I apologize and ask your forgiveness.

By the way, we did not air that hunt on television and never portrayed any pictures to anyone as fair chase, high fence or otherwise. I just learned this week that the picture was on some websites and asked that it be removed. We decided not air the hunt when we learned there was some controversy surrounding Bellars Place.

Yes, had we known then what we know not, we would not have hunted there but that's why hindsight is 20-20. Was it wrong for me to hunt there? Absolutely!

Obviously this letter won't satisfy everyone, particularly those anti-hunters whose desire is to keep this on the front burners and watch Jimmy burn. They love nothing more than making hunters attack hunters. But, to the real hunters who read this, I apologize for any hurt or disappointment I have caused you.

Good hunting, good fishing and May God Bless!

Best Personal Regards,

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what kind of car I drove, how big my bank account was..but that I was important in the life of a child"
Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A letter from Jimmy Houston.....

seems real to me and it is a nice letter but dont let the post get out of hand please
Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

So is he saying that there was only one side fenced? I could have sworn that I saw 3 sides....................

Is he sorry for what he did, or just for getting caught???

Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

PR ...Damage control .... now he knows how I feel LOL ...

dd
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

5 acres, 50 acres, 500 acres, how can he not know ow big the place was that he was hunting????
Old 02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol dd to funny
Old 02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds pretty desperate to me. He knew what he was doing when he did it! He not only is a sorry excuse for a "hunter", he is a sorry excuse for a man..............trying to twist the truth and outright lie!

Is there any question about his character? Does he think his words can change what we seen with our own eyes?

PUKE!

Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

If Jimmy was told it was a 1200 acre pen then I can see how it would be impossible to know exactly what the acerage was. If there were cross fences somewhere in the property he still couldn't know how many acres he was hunting on unless he GPS'ed the whole thing. No drugs in the meat? Sounds like the PETA people and others saw that they had someone in the public spotlight and tried to make a big story about it. I have no personal knowledge about the type of facility Mellar has, nor do I know how legal the facility was in that state. I assume a jury will or has decided that. To critique Jimmy Houston based on what I have seen thus far is something I won't do. I tried to load the links in another thread, but as I am on dial-up it would not load.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ding a Ling a Ling - We have a winner - someone thinking with some reasoning outside the confines of the internet
Old 02-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO.. He's tarnished his image enough, and should be out of the outdoor realm.

He complains that many many other hunters have done the same thing, but he is singled out. Of course. When you're a hunting celebrity, you should use 10 X the caution as compared to other hunters. And when Jimmy accepted to hunt and video this hunt.... well... he just wasn't thinking, to say the least.

Regardless how big the fence was, everyone seen the deer run from side to side, trying to get out, acting like they were confined to a small pen. So who cares on the size of the pen.

Quick Reply: A letter from Jimmy Houston.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.