Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last One!!

Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Last One!!

Today I am working my last day as a shift worker!After 27 years of shifting, I'm gonna be working days, off nights, and weekends!
I will still be working a little OT on weekends, for a while, but its going to be nice to get a nights sleep, every night!
I will also have my pick of vacation weeks, because I will not be part of a group anymore!Openning weekend, and Christmas off!
About the only thing I will miss, is hunting, and fishing in the middle of the week, while others are working!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Last One!!

Jag CONGRATS my friend ..Im sure your family will enjoy having you home more ... I worked in the car business for almost 30 years and had forgotten what it was like to be off on Saturdays and Holidays !!

dd
Old 02-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on coming into the daylight world.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:26 PM

JagMagMan, I can truely say I am jealous!! I too work swing shift, I work a 2-2-3 12 hours and switch every two weeks from days to nights. I work in the blown plastics industry and we never stop, only shut down twice for christmas in the ten years I have been their. My goal is to get into maint. someday and I have been taking classes but I just have to wait and hope. From one shifter to another I am truely happy for you! Also what kinda work does your plant do, and what is your new job going to be doing?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, that would be nice.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

JagMagMan, I can truely say I am jealous!! I too work swing shift, I work a 2-2-3 12 hours and switch every two weeks from days to nights. I work in the blown plastics industry and we never stop, only shut down twice for christmas in the ten years I have been their. My goal is to get into maint. someday and I have been taking classes but I just have to wait and hope. From one shifter to another I am truely happy for you! Also what kinda work does your plant do, and what is your new job going to be doing?
HB, I've been working 12 hour, 28-day cycle, for the past 17 years now! Before that it was 3, 8 hour shifts.
We make Ethylene Oxide, Glycols, and Amines.
As for "seeing the light of the daylight world," I've worked the "inside" jobs, for the last ten years! Great job, no windows, just computer screens though! "THE CAVE!"
I will be training operators, on several units, both inside, and outside, from now on.
Years ago, we had hopes of getting into maintenance, but most of that is contracted out now, so the "day jobs," are few, and far between!
Hang in there Hotburn76, maybe your time will come! You never know what will come up! A few months ago, I figured I'd be shifting, the rest of my career!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

time to totally retire
Old 02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I worked for myself (carpenter work) for my last 30 working years. Retired in 2000 to hunt and fish even more.. Glad you are improving your situation.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve never had to work shift work but a good friend of mine has for a long time and from what he said ...it’s no fun... Good luck in your new hours...
Old 02-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

I worked 3rd shift for 17 years. We used to be able to take our night shift premium in time off rather than money. That was good for 4 weeks more vacation time. I work 1st shift now from 6 - 2, so I can still hunt evenings after work. I would not go back, I like sleeping like a human being. Besides, I've still got enough vac. time to take the whole month of nov. off. I've done this for the last 10 years. Congradulations on your new work hours, you're going to feel so much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.