Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait? >

Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think a wait up to 24 months is not unreasonable
1.45%
I think a wait up to 18 months is not unreasonable
11.59%
I think a wait up to 12 months is long enough
59.42%
I think 6 months is long enough to wait...
27.54%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I think your point is well made but just a littlefood for thought ..if your going to back up orders like that do you think it would be unreasonableto expectthe taxidermist to maybe hire some help to expedite the orders ..to help in the non artistic part of the process..to help reduce the time the capes are in the freezer so the turn around time might be a little quicker....just a thought...

dd
Good point, in fact I'll go one further and say that they probably would make more money doing it your way because they can get more done in less time.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM

This is such a frustrating topic, and to me its like comparing apples to oranges. Im one of those long return time, customstudios. I wish it were as easy as hiring help, but the headaches and expense of health and disability insurance and employee benefits would drive an already high price up higher than my best customers could justfy paying, same as pricing to adjust the workload. I DO value that customer, too. I guess my question is, if the long return times arent realistic, and Im wrong for it taking this long...WHY DO I HAVE ENOUGH WORK EVERY YEAR TO PERPETUATE THIS WAIT, YEAR AFTER YEAR? If I were doing them wrong, wouldnt they all stop coming, and Id clean things up and be caught up? The only true adjustment I have to work with to not take more work in is...folks who wont wait that long, going elsewhere.

Not all taxidermists take as long for return work, but not all guys would wait that long. But some do, and there arethose who see something worth that wait. I dont think you HAVE to wait a long time to get good work. I dont think long waits equate to the best quality neccessarily. But please, stop suggesting that long returns means that something is being done wrong. I thank my lucky stars that I have the best customers in the world, in my eyes, who are willing to grit their teeth and wait for me to get to them, they reward me with paying my prices, and I reward them with the best mount I can give them. I appreciate my customers, so the wording DD implies does rub me wrong.

Theres two things worth saying. First, as a taxidermist, I must, above all, be honest to you, the customer. As much as I wish to say whatever pleases you, I must be honest and up front and tell you what the return time realistically can be, as an estimate. The customer then decides whether its worth it to him, and then, trust me. The second thing, for the sake of this poll...how long should you wait? Id say whatever you and he agree on ahead of time.

In closing, I only posted this for one reason, as I dont wanna change your minds. If you think one month, ten months, a year and a half, whatever, is long enough for you, thats fine, of course. But I just dont want you guys to think we as taxidermists dont know any better. Or that we dont care. Many, I hope most, do care. My customers know up front how long, so THEY adjust how much work I have. I hope that sheds some light from a different perspective.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol dd, i thought you said you "weren't going to participate" in anymore of your pollsJ/M i personally like it when you reply. i have never had a deer mounted so i guess 12 months if he does good, quality work that is well known.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

This is such a frustrating topic, and to me its like comparing apples to oranges. Im one of those long return time, customstudios. I wish it were as easy as hiring help, but the headaches and expense of health and disability insurance and employee benefits would drive an already high price up higher than my best customers could justfy paying, same as pricing to adjust the workload. I

I appreciate my customers, so the wording DD implies does rub me wrong.
Well gee wiz Billarent those things you mentioned as "headaches" just the cost of doing business and having such a booming business ...and please tell me what I "implied" that rubs you wrong ... I tried to word this poll to be as objective as I could ...

dd
Old 02-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a deer or bear rug around a year is reasonable imo
Old 02-03-2006, 02:33 PM

This poll seems to be very objective to me too.

Also, health insurance, disability, benefits? You would pay that to a flesher or other part time labor? I doubt it.

Bill, what do you consider "a long time" to get a mount back? What is your average time to complete a typical deer mount?

Most of the places I have heard of that take waaaay too long to produce mounts are one of two types; typically small time/part time operations or too big for their own britches.

First and foremost, if I walk into a business and ask "how long" and he tells me one year to 18 months, it is my choice to wait. If, because of his reputation and my experience I choose to wait, then that is my choice. But, ifI ask "how long" and the peckerhead says 5 or 6 months and I give him the work based on that estimate, I don't care what the mount looks like if I don't see it for 12 months to 24 months later. That person is, in all probability, being dishonest and I won't be back.

That, is my bottom line. Tell me the truth on how long it will take, let me make my choice and if the work is great, I'll probably be back. Lie to me (I could accept a month or two longer because of delays) one time and I really don't care if the eyes blink when I walkaround the room, I won't be back.
R
Hank
Old 02-03-2006, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

This is such a frustrating topic, and to me its like comparing apples to oranges. Im one of those long return time, customstudios. I wish it were as easy as hiring help, but the headaches and expense of health and disability insurance and employee benefits would drive an already high price up higher than my best customers could justfy paying, same as pricing to adjust the workload. I DO value that customer, too. I guess my question is, if the long return times arent realistic, and Im wrong for it taking this long...WHY DO I HAVE ENOUGH WORK EVERY YEAR TO PERPETUATE THIS WAIT, YEAR AFTER YEAR? If I were doing them wrong, wouldnt they all stop coming, and Id clean things up and be caught up? The only true adjustment I have to work with to not take more work in is...folks who wont wait that long, going elsewhere.

Not all taxidermists take as long for return work, but not all guys would wait that long. But some do, and there arethose who see something worth that wait. I dont think you HAVE to wait a long time to get good work. I dont think long waits equate to the best quality neccessarily. But please, stop suggesting that long returns means that something is being done wrong. I thank my lucky stars that I have the best customers in the world, in my eyes, who are willing to grit their teeth and wait for me to get to them, they reward me with paying my prices, and I reward them with the best mount I can give them. I appreciate my customers, so the wording DD implies does rub me wrong.

Theres two things worth saying. First, as a taxidermist, I must, above all, be honest to you, the customer. As much as I wish to say whatever pleases you, I must be honest and up front and tell you what the return time realistically can be, as an estimate. The customer then decides whether its worth it to him, and then, trust me. The second thing, for the sake of this poll...how long should you wait? Id say whatever you and he agree on ahead of time.

In closing, I only posted this for one reason, as I dont wanna change your minds. If you think one month, ten months, a year and a half, whatever, is long enough for you, thats fine, of course. But I just dont want you guys to think we as taxidermists dont know any better. Or that we dont care. Many, I hope most, do care. My customers know up front how long, so THEY adjust how much work I have. I hope that sheds some light from a different perspective.

Really good thoughts their Bill. But the tread was, and is, how long are you willing to wait for a mount. Not, why do you think it takes so long. I'm sure you have lots of customers willing to wait 2 years. I would not be one of those customers. I would go somewhere else.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ahankster

This poll seems to be very objective to me too.

Also, health insurance, disability, benefits? You would pay that to a flesher or other part time labor? I doubt it.

Bill, what do you consider "a long time" to get a mount back? What is your average time to complete a typical deer mount?

Most of the places I have heard of that take waaaay too long to produce mounts are one of two types; typically small time/part time operations or too big for their own britches.

First and foremost, if I walk into a business and ask "how long" and he tells me one year to 18 months, it is my choice to wait. If, because of his reputation and my experience I choose to wait, then that is my choice. But, ifI ask "how long" and the peckerhead says 5 or 6 months and I give him the work based on that estimate, I don't care what the mount looks like if I don't see it for 12 months to 24 months later. That person is, in all probability, being dishonest and I won't be back.

That, is my bottom line. Tell me the truth on how long it will take, let me make my choice and if the work is great, I'll probably be back. Lie to me (I could accept a month or two longer because of delays) one time and I really don't care if the eyes blink when I walkaround the room, I won't be back.
R
Hank
Hank that is a very good post but let me say this about Bill Yox not that he needs me to speak for him ... He and I have knocked heads on several issues icluding this one BUT I think I know enough about his charactor to know he is a straight shooter ...a professional and not a lier (not that you were implying he is) I say this knowing he will never do a mount for me becasue I would never wait over a year not even for michelangelo...I do disagree with him and his friends about turn around time but I know him to be honest ...

dd
Old 02-03-2006, 05:20 PM

DD,
You are right, if my post implied that Bill was dishonest, I apologize up front. I do have to question the idea of paying all those benefits for what I would consider part time work. Him being from NY, I am not familiar with his employment issues. I would be interrested in what his turnaround time is so I can see where he is coming from. From my standpoint, I could not see any reason at all why a mount would take 20 months, and like you, would probably never do business if that were the case.

Another factor is how many taxi's are in his area. In the Miss, Al, La and Fl areas, there is almost a "stuffer on every streetcorner". Some are one or two year affairs, some are not that great, some are terrible, some are run out of fancy buildings with big glass windows and some are run out of garages; there are a few here and there that last and do great work. These typically do good work, have reasonable prices and a decent turnaround. There is too much competition around here for someone to last too long, and do well, if they don't satisfy folks. Word of mouth can kill a taxi here pretty fast. If a taxi is in an area where he is the only game in town, I guess he can make the rules himself.

What I was trying to get across is that if a taxi tells me a mount will take 6 months just to get my business, and I don't see it for a year, that particular taxi will never see me grace his door again. As in any customer service oriented business being upfront and honest with a customer is as valuable as the quality of the work. If it will take 18 months, let me know up front and let ME make the decision.

So, if anyone thought I was knocking Bill, I apologize. I don't think we would agree, but if he is up front and telling his customers what the wait will be and they are choosing him to do the work, more power to him.
I am still interrested in what he thinks a good turnaround time for a typical deer mount is though.
R
Hank
Old 02-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Taxi never fails me within a year. And he does alot of deer for my area, alot!

Quick Reply: Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.