Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 So....How'd your season go??  Doc, we all know bout yours >

So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Old 01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Health problems cut my hunting time by more than half but I managed to shoot a 110" ten point with the bow and a 117" nine point with the slug gunand 5 does,2 by bow and 3 with the rifle.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

had a great season here. missed a good 120ish 8pt. with the bow.buddy ended up getting it a week later.
did shoot a decent 115 8pt w/bow
shotgun season i took 7 deer.
1. 124" 7pt. with muzzleloader
1 half racked buck with shotgun on a drive
rest were doe's on drives.
8 total
are crew ended up with 36 deer total sent 6 to the taxidermist
4 were in the 130-150"
we had 2 deer per person average

Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Thanks for the feedback ya'll. I'm glad to hear that you have had productive seasons.
Doc-- I have considered a pendulum sight, but hear that it's worthless on level ground. Is that true? If not, I'll certainly consider getting one.
NY-- Yep, I practice from stands using my hunting clothes in various conditions and am usually pretty consistant. The first and second bow misses came less than 5 minutes apart. I misjudged the first and shot over her and then was so pissed that I flubbed the chance at the second doe that came in a few minutes later. The bow miss last night I'm convinced was an anchor point problem. It was windy and cold and I neglected to move my face mask out of the way and therefore did not get my kisser button into the corner of my mouth. Stupid rookie mistake and I deserve the miss. I'm just grateful that it was a "clean" miss and I did not wound the deer. The other miss really befuddles me. I had lasered the yardage, was not nervous, conditions right and it just missed. Who knows sometimes.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Craig
I had a good season, buck with a bow, buck with a gun and three turkeys, one spring and two fall. I took five shots and got five animals, I can't complain.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, but I just don't like sights that move and hinge on my bow. Too many moving parts leads to more problems. Over the years I've learned a few tricks for shooting out of tree stands. First of all, when shooting out of a tree stand, you must keep your form in tact. You must bend at the waist and keep your form at full draw just like you are when standing on the ground. Do NOT lower your bow arm to aim, it changes your sight angle and you will shoot high.
Another important thing to consider is the yardage you are shooting for. Once you get about 20 feet and higher in the tree, you have to subtract yardage from what your range finder tells you. This is because you are ranging the hypotenuse ( long side ) of a right triangle. The correct yardage to shoot for is the yardage from your target to the base of your tree. For example, when I ranged to a trail from 25 feet in my tree stand, it told me the distance was 23 yards. It just didn't seem right, so when I got down, I ranged it from the ground and it was 20 yards. For stands 27 feet or higher, I subtract 4 yards from distances ranged from the tree stand. These differences may seem small, but in the right situation it can mean the difference between a hit and a miss or worse yet, a wounded animal.
In short, if you bend at the waist and know the correct yardage you should be ok with your fixed pin sight. Excitement, buck fever - that's a whole nother thing, pick a spot the size of a quarter and focus on it until your arrow hits the target!
Greg I think you make somevery good points ..but it still comes down to being able to judge yardage from an elivated stand and not everyone ( the average hunter)can do that on a consitant basis...andI have to say that I hunted with the Penduglum for over 20 years and never had any type of equipment failure with the mechanism ...the first Kellers where kind of noisie but they later corrected that problem.
dd
Yer probably right, what ever gets her done for you is what you should use. I was mostly concerned about the pendulem sight being fragile. You know, like getting a branch stuck in there, would it mess up your pin or something? As far as the average hunter goes, I'm probably not. I've been shooting bows for 43 years. ( I'm 49 ) I've been a staff and regional shooter for HCA for 7 years and shot competitive archery for 9 years. 3-d, NFAA indoors and outdoors. Best finishes were 3rd at indoor nationals in'99 and 2nd in state same year.( Indoors ) I'm a stickler for form and was pretty good at estimating yardage. Been using a range finder for 2 years now, valuable tool! Can get the yardages without scenting up the area by pacing it off. I like my sturdy, 4-pin fiber optic sight. Green pin at 12 yards broadside is my favorite shot!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably my best and most frustating year so far. Ended up shooting 3 does (2 with bow and 1 with shotgun).

But my best morning was one which I didn't even get a deer. Also I felt like jumping out of the tree after it was all over to though. Right at dawn a doe came through and I shot high over her, but looked behind her and a real big 10 point was hauling straight towards me, but wouldn't stop for nothing. A few seconds later another small buck came through, then right behind him was about a 125-130 10 point that stayed about 20 yards away behind some brush the whole time. Shortly after another small buck walked through. At around 10 I looked around and didn't see nothing so I started to lower by bow down. When I looked up there was a 140 inch 8 pointer standing there looking me in the eye about 10 yards away. No idea where he came from, he just kind of showed up. He quickly realized that something wasn't right about that blob in the tree and bolted out of there. This buck gave me the slip 3 times this year.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Shot my first deer a button buck with a shotgun. then one more button buck with a muzzleloader and 2 doe with black powder.
not bad for first year hunting

Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Missed 2 doe with the bow early in the season than never got another opportunity with bow.
Missed a doe with rifle thought i could sneak a bullet past a few tree limbs i guess i couldnt but thankfully it was a clean miss. And also my first miss with rifle ...
Killed a doe with rifle about 30minutes after i missed the 1st one so iredeamed myself...
Killed a buck 4pt whitetail buck with rifle...
Old 01-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tagged eight Mule deer and finished a ninth. All one shot kills with the 270 ADL synthetic. I missed one going for a neck shot. Must have wiggled.
I used the Federal Fusions in 130 grain.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:08 AM

Missed a 4point wiht the bow then i took a small doe 2days latter wiht the bow,
Missed a nice buck with the MLon the second day of first firearm seasoni have no idea why mi missed but do know that my scope was sighten in before season then i hunt with it and i is off, Then then went up to were we normally hunt and shot at three does and missed all three, All shots were with in about 45 min. so i hunted with the shotgun the rest of the seasons but did see any, My dad took a doe and a button buck with the bow and took a small rack huge bodied 6 point( rack did not match body size at all) with the ML and then he losed one that he shot with the bow.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks again for all the replies. Last night was my last night afield for this deer season. It ended great. It was cold,and really,windy, but the barometric pressure was up and I was gonna hunt no matter what. I got in my tree at about 2:30 and at about 4:00 a family of 3 does (momma and two tiny young'uns) came walking in headed right for me. At about 40 yards out they swung wide and continued walking...very cautiously...through the timber. Then, BAM...in walks a big bodied 8 point and follows them off to my left. They all hung up and beded down about 60 yards off to my left flank. After a bit the girls got up and left, but I have no clue where the buck went. One minute I saw him beded, the next minute he's gone. No shots taken, but that was a fun hour of hunting getting to watch them react to each other.
Can't wait for next year.
Craig
Old 01-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

i shot a desent 6 point with rifle 15 inch spread and a doe that was wounded by a first time hunter and my wife harvested a good doe also

Quick Reply: So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.