Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pre-shot deer

Old 01-20-2006, 10:21 AM

Default pre-shot deer

Has any one every shot a deer and found a bullet or brahead in it?
only one i got was my 2nd deer at lake sonoma in november. It was a nice 4 point it was biggest deer killed that weekend for the youth hunt. It hat a little brahead in its neck. We still have the blades and everything from the brahead
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pre-shot deer

I shot a deer that got shot in the leg but didn't cut it open yet to see what it is.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a buck that had a hole in his neck from being shot before....pretty gross.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM

My mom had actually shot a moose that had been shot several times before she shot it and when they started to gut it, it apparently was all yellow inside so they reported it to the F&W and they allowed her to keep her tag. They said it was a mercy kill.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

broadhead.....

I've shot a few deer that had old scars or were in the process of healing old wounds.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

My Grandpa shot a 157" 10 pt. back in 1988 that had a broadhead buried just below the spine from the previous year.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

How is this for a year with 3 seperate stories of this very thing happening!!!

First in sept one of my elk crew took a young bull elk that had a broadhead with 4" of carbon arrow attached embedded into his neck. The wound rendering the left front half of the animal to the birds. Also the animals fat content was as low as I have ever seen on a Sask. elk. The rest of the meat was fine though.

#2 Oct my partner harvested a bull moose. everything appeared normal until we butchered the animal. Upon boning out the front shoulder we discovered a hole in the scapula that created a partial fracture of the right shoulder. The shoulder had already started to heal nicely, their was little evidence of yellow, bruising, etc. We also found some lead in the blade steak portion of this shoulder and more in the brisket area on the same side. Lost some meat on this shoulder due to bloodshot,clots and finding lead frags. The otherwise condition of the bull moose was up to par, good fat content and he was lured in by cow calling...so obviously that portion was willing! LOL

Neither of these 2 animals appeared any different than the norm.

#3 Dec. Idispatched a 5x5 whitetail with my ML that was the victim of poor shot earlier that day, I suspect. This case the animal had lost it's front leg and obviously a lot of blood as try as he may he would not move more than a step.

Prior to this exceptional year only a fewanimals I have either taken or seen harvested had clear evidence of a previous encounter with a hunter.

I have taken or witnessed a number of animals that have had injuries or evidence of previous injury. Such as gored, broken legs, etc.

It really is amazing how tough these critters can be!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a doe with only 3 legs last year, does that count?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first flintlock deer, taken last year, had a bum front shoulder. I shot him Dec 28th and he had already dropped both antlers. I think he did due to the wound. Therewas puss coming out of his shoulder and upon skinning/butchering I found a chunk of lead buried in the inside of the off shoulder above the spine. The bullet hit above the spine, just catching the top of the spines breaking two before imbedding in the scapula.

I hate to say it, but because the bullet went through so little flesh before it stopped, I kind of think he might have been an attempted poaching case with a low power rifle like a .22. I guess I'll never know.

Also as a sad side note, in three days with 4 hunters, we took four deer and THREE of them were wounded by errant rifle shots[:@][:@][:'(]
Old 01-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep a broadhead that the butcher said was there at least 2 years.It had a hard muscle tissue grown around it. It was located right under the spine in the tender loin

Quick Reply: pre-shot deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.