Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Near Death Experience

Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Near Death Experience

Not so near-death: I was going down a tree at the end of the day with my climber, whenI snagged abranch from an adjacent holly tree. I pushed hard, heard a snap and had a bright flash w/pain in my right eye. I put my hand up to the eye and felt warm fluid, bummer. When I got to the ground, I opened the eye and my vision in that eye just faded away to zero vision. Fortunately my hunting partner was on the same farm with me that night. Trip to the emergency room: lacerated eye from a broken branch, fortunately the branchmissed mylens.It sure scared the crap out of me -my vision eventually returned and theeye turned totallydeep-bloodred, not alick of white to it- this was right before I had to take a work trip to Texas. Got a lot of double looks at the bank, grocery store, airline counters etc.

Closer to near-death: had a turkey unexpectedly shot ~50 yds in front of me that I was calling in - go figure. Checked my bodyparts and could have used a change of underware before confronting the sneak thief...
-fsh
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

i dont know if its a near death but it was a near change your diapers i was hunting one evening and shot a 200lb bear it went down with the shot and got back up and ran about 300 yards straight up a mountian it went down at the top of the mountian and i waited about 30-45 mins before i climbed up after it. when i got within 10 ft of it it jumped up and charged me i let fly with 3 quick shots from the hip and the dang thing droped within 1 ft of me and that was all for him. after abouta min (which seemed forever) i think my heart started to beat again and i was able to bring him down but a friend hunting with me said he only hear two shots the first and the one that finished him off but there were four holes in him
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

This wasn't quite near death (at least I dont think so) but it was a BVD filler upper!! It was this time a black bear that easily went 450+ pounds charged me repeatedly and stopped short by only2-5 yards each timeas I kept shooting over his head.Each timeI tried to back up he would watch awhile and then charge again. Followed me for several hundred yards. (I had a .223, just enough to really piss him off!) I finally turned him off my trail when I shot a tree right beside his ear. The concussion must have hurt his eardrum pretty bad cause he bawled andjumped and then turnedaway. All this was just 2 days before bear season here in Pa.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Typical Buck

bt until you have a bear do this its hard to explain how much a animal can make you dirty your bvd's or make your heart stop since theres nowhere to run and they can climb a tree faster than you
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 PM

i had just shot a doe, and after my buddy and i tracked it,we decided to return to my stand so i could get my pack out of it, well, i was climbing up the ladder, and he was right below me when allof a sudden a heard a loud bang and my ears started to ring. Wha thappened was he was right below me and the 7mm mag accidentally went off and went right next to where i was climbing.. i was so scared i start checking myself for holes.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

I was hunting on the ground in a clump of brush about 20 yards in side the woods line from a power line clearing. I was finished hunting and had walked to within about 5 yards of the clearing and down the trail 100 yards or so and turned around away from the clearing and began taking a leak. About 10 seconds into my leak it sounded like a freight hitting the woods right at my back. It was about 6 does and a spike crashing into the woods at full speed. They went around both sides of me, so close they almost touched me, knocked me down, I almost had a heart attach....
Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Not to close fortunatly.
Lightning struck some 75 yds from me and that was rather an intense experience I can say.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 AM

One time whenI was pheasant hunting on opening day on public land with my Dad, we were working the lower end of this field. Another guy and his dog were just over the crest of this hill in the same field when he flushed one at the top. I was prob a good 75-100 yards away, when he shot. I guess he didn't see us there, all I remember is pellets flying by me and thinking that it was my dog kicking dirt up at me, that is until one of those pieces of "dirt" caught me in the cheek bone 1 inch bellow my eye. Stung like a son of a @#$%&. A little higher and I would had to start learning how to shoot left handed.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 AM

Damn, them are some scary stories. Hopefully, I will never have a story to post on here. Glad everyone made it out safe.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to close fortunatly.
Lightning struck some 75 yds from me and that was rather an intense experience I can say.
this has absolutely nothin to do with hunting or me even, but i know kid same age as me(15) who has been hit by lightnin 3 times already....lightning never stikes twice...yeah right[&:]

Quick Reply: Near Death Experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.