Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer herd pictures - Jan14

Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Spike

Default Deer herd pictures - Jan14

I went back to my main hunting grounds today to check on the winter herd and see if anything had dropped yet. I wasn't able to get close enough to the herd for any good pictures so I had to use digital zoom for most of the pictures which is why they aren't clear.

I wasn't expecting to see any bucks dropping antlers for another month or 2 so I was really suprised when I saw a decent buck get up with only 1 antler. I searched the area for a bit but never did find the antler, probably because of the amount of snow(not much but enough to maybe bury a smaller antler). This is what the area looked like that I was searching:

This is a picture of a small portion of the herd:

I wasn't able to get anywheres close to the big bucks so this is the biggest one that I have pictures of. I probably saw 4 or 5 bucks bigger then him but he's still a pretty decent buck, especially for a 4x4. Any guesses on a score?

Here's a couple of other bucks I saw(in total i probably saw close to 60 bucks today, whitetails and mulies):

A couple of sharptail grouse on fence posts:

Old 01-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Deer herd pictures - Jan14

Those are some magnificent bucks! Thanks for sharing.

One of these days I will have to get up to the Saskatchewan area to go after some of those!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once again great pics thanks for the update! Keep em' coming!!!!!! Couple of monsters in there!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Awesome pics!
Sturdy looking deer. I really like that cocky looking one that looks like he just stopped, looked at you and istrying to figure out if it its you or him that should be afraid.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

great pics man,
searched the area for a bit but never did find the antler, probably because of the amount of snow(not much but enough to maybe bury a smaller antler).
ever heard the phrase "like looking for a needle in a haystack"[:-],i have never hunted sheds in the snow but it would seem to me you would be better off with a complete blanket of snow, from the looks of things you shouldn't have any trouble findin horns later, again great pics, reminds me of the area i hunted on the sask/manitoba border, right outside of russel manitoba
Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Site Buck Guru

I love those pics. I've never seen where deer yard up, only heard about it. What is the temp. when you're out taking those pics?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

WOW ..got to LOVE Canada deer ...looks like a bunch of Jack Rabbits all over the field LOL ..GREAT PICS !

dd
Old 01-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome pics RBB, keep us updated with future pics and sheds!!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your pics are great! I wish deer came together like that around here and just sat in fields. Awesome pics!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Host of Hosts

That herd is about the size of PA's entire deer population

Quick Reply: Deer herd pictures - Jan14

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.