Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out? >

What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:48 PM

Default What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out?

Hey, new to the forum, and a novice marksman who has never been hunting before, but can't wait to begin next fall. Since I have no idea what to expect in reality (all I can dountil nextFallis research and target practice), I was hoping I could get some of you guys to share some tips, stories, humorous mistakes, about your firstever hunting trip.I am reading all about what you should do, but what about the little things that no one warns you about or prepares you for?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out?

Reily,
What part of the country are you going to be hunting? There are many little things that you learn while in the field. Deer hunting usually requires a lot of time in one spot, and not much movement on your part.

This was not my first time out, but when I was a kid I thought I was really getting prepared to hunt a cold morning. I put on about 5 pairs of socks, and then could barely get my boots over them thinking this was going to help keep my feet warm. Needless to say, cutting off the circulation to your feet and toes on a cold day is not a good idea, but I learned that never to forget lesson by experience.

That is just one to get things started.

C. Davis
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first time I went bowhunting I didn't see nothing. And the second time I went hunting I didn't see nothing. Same goes for the third time. But finally on the 4th trip out a nice young 8 point came walking by me....I was so nervous I rushed the shot and hit a bunch of limbs. The next year a doe walked up...I was still extremely nervous and once again rushed the shot missing the deer.

So my advice for you is take your time and concentrate on your shot. I was young and so pumped about seeing a deer in range that I forgot the basics.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Hello friend,

Here are a few of my most recent mistakes.

1. I drove 30 miles to the Green Swamp only to realize I left my flashlight at home.
Remedy...Get everything out the night before and lay it on the couch. Also I carry an extra flashlight with me. The swamp can be scary.

2. I use trail tacks. Once I tacked a place out. When I got there...Lo and behold there were 3 trails of tacks. I forgot some other hunter might have tacked out the same place.

Remedy......either place all of yours a certain distance off the ground or double up on your tacks.

3. I got out there once to find out by the person at the gate that my license was expired.

Check the date peridically.

4. WORST ONE. Once I got talking to a fellow teacher. My car keys were in my vest. As I tossed my vest in the front seat and closed the door on my new Explore SPort the doors locked automatically.BUMMER!!!!!!The teacher took me all teh way back .70 miles round trip to get my spare key. I filled his truck up. Great big diesel.

Remedy...I now have an extra key hidden on the outside.

5. Once the platform of my climber slid down. I had a rope tied about 3 feet. That was almost too long.

Remedy...I make sure the rope is no longer than 30 inches between seat and platform.

6. Once I shot a spike whose antlers were too short. I have never been so scared in my life.

Remedy...if you are not sure of your shot DON'T SHOOT!

7. Twice I was approached by gays while deep in the woods birding.Florida has many sick people. One I fought back with a fishing pole and spinner bait. The other two ...I lost them in thick briars and swamp.

Remedy....when alone in 2006 carry a pistol. My favorite ...357.

Chuck7

Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

7. Twice I was approached by gays while deep in the woods birding.Florida has many sick people. One I fought back with a fishing pole and spinner bait. The other two ...I lost them in thick briars and swamp.
Chuck,
Birding sounds very dangerous. It sounds like you may have wandered into their habitat. Maybe it is a good thing they saw you first.
That one belongs in the "Animals that have busted your hunt" thread.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

C. Davis
Old 01-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Chuck,
"Birding sounds very dangerous. It sounds like you may have wandered into their habitat. "

That was back in the 80s .In one park alone during a sting there was over 130 gays /perverts busted. Lots of children raped and killed. I have the application completed for a concealed gun permit. I didn't send it in because the officials let me know{ You still cannot carry a concealed weapon in a county or state park} We can already carry a loaded pistol under our car seat or glove box. Things have gotten better as lots of undercover agents and the removel of 3 top less and adult bars. Some are still around so when I'm alone birding I carry extra support.
Chuck7
Old 01-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

when I first started out, I kept a list of goals. realistic ones. I wanted an antlerless deer first, then a antlered buck, then a multipointed buck, then a buck with a certain spread or points. it just kind of progressed like that. I shot a button buck in 92 with the bow, a spike in 93, a 5pt and six pt in 94 and it just went from there. as you get along, you'll develop your own sense of what you want and how to do it.

when it comes to little things, it is a learn as you go experience. I've got 14 seasons with a bow under my belt and I felt like a first time rookie when I went out this past opening day. little things like not getting my stand up as quietly (climber) as I know I can, and then missing two does in 10 mins...ew, that hurt.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Biggest mistake I ever made wasthinkingI couldjudge distances in the woods.

Second biggest mistake was thinking I was an expert with my gun.

Depending on the kind of hunting you do either get a range finder or do a lot of practice in real world settings where you have no idea of the distance. Especially if bowhunting.

No such thing as too much practice.Practice like you hunt if possible. Going beyond target practice is critical. Being able to hit a target is great, but you need to make sure you can handle yourweapon in a variety ofscenarios.

Few examples.

Bow
Letssay you hunt with a bow that has a removable quiver. Make sure you know how the arrow will fly with the quiver on and off. That way if you're caught off guard with the quiver still on you can make the shot.

Make sure you can shoot while sitting, kneeling, standing and any other position you can come up with.

Shoot with your hunting clothes on so you know the sleeve isn't going to get in the way of the string when you release it.

Being able to shoot instinctively is a great tool even if your bow has the best of sights.

Gun
Make sure you can shoulder it quickly with the clothes you'll be using in the field. This way you'll know whether your clothes are going to grab the butt of the gun on the way up when you're trying to shoulder it.

Not everyone agrees with this one, but put the safety on between each shot while target practicing. That way when your brain is on autopilot during the huntflicking off the safety will be as automatic as shouldering the gun. This is sort of like holstering(and using the snap depending on the holster) a self defense handgun between each shot. When the time comes and your adrenaline is pumping you want your body to be trained to pull it from a holster not pick it up off a table.

And just like a bow, make sure you can shoot accurately from any position you can think of.

Put as much time into mastering the tools of the trade as you do mastering the hunt so when the time comes you're not your own worst enemy.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been deer hunting for four seasons and have taken three does and two bucks.

Take toilet paper in a zip-lock bag. I have needed to use TP in the field twice and was glad I was carrying a sufficient supply.

Be sure to take your key for your trigger lock or remove your trigger lock before you leave for your hunting ground. I left my trigger lock key at my mother-in-law's house where I was staying once which I only discovered when I was uncasing my gun at the hunting ground. This put a 40 minute lag into my arrival on stand that day.

If you stand hunt, stay later than you think you need to in the morning. I have several times seen and shot deer later than I had expected them to still be moving. I figure the first two hours and the last two hours of shooting light are best. The first two hours in Oklahoma where I hunt are roughly 6:40 AM to 8:40 AM, but I have taken a deer at 9:10 AM and another at about 9:30 AM. I have also seen a deer, which I passed on shooting, from my stand at about 9:40 AM.

Keep alert. Look around. Deer don't always appear where you are expecting them to appear, particularly when you are a beginner or are new to a hunting location. If you feel the urge to look behind you, listen to that urge -- might be a deer there and you have sensed it at a level that isn't quite conscious, a sound, a smell?

Make sure your weapon is in good condition and you are practiced with shooting it. Don't go to hunt and discover later, for example, that the rear sight elevator tab has fallen out and your open sighted rifle is not aiming where it is supposed to.

Carry a knife with you to field dress your animal and know how to do it. Have a plan what to do with your deer after you kill it. Have a plan for getting the deer out of the woods. Sometimes it is harder than you would think getting a deer out, especially if you are alone. Carry the necessary paperwork and pen to tag your deer at the kill site and what other legal actions are required in your state. At the same time, watch out about tearing off this same tag when dragging your deer out of the woods. If it is entirely impracticable to tag and drag, you might defer tagging until you get to your truck, hoping that in the unlikely event you encounter a game office you can persuade him you made the correct choice.

Don't shoot if you don't have a good shot. You will have other opportunities. Don't waste opportunities, however, because you don't know when the next one will come along. When you see a deer, make up your mind quickly if you can and want to shoot it and get on with it if the decision is to shoot. Deer won't hang around long rubber necking with you.

Hunt where the deer are. If you hunt on a 160 acre piece of land which does not have deer on it during the course of the day, your hunt is going to be unsuccessful. You can depend upon the testimony of hunters already familiar with your hunting ground or you can do some scouting for fresh deer sign yourself. Look for recent deer poop, fresh deer tracks, hair on fences where the deer jump over, fresh rubs on tree trunks (bucks will rub their antlers on small tree trunks, scratching off an oval raw area that is readily visible on the tree trunk).

Dress for the weather. Much deer hunting involves sitting still for a long time, and your body will cool down and need more insulation than if you are just out walking. Think about keeping your feet warm. This might be achieved by wrapping your feet in a blanket or pulling a sleeping bag up over your feet and lower legs and thighs. If you are cold, it may be difficult to remain still and alert.

Be still while deer hunting. Prefer to move your eyes only vesus your whole head. When you do move your head, move slowly. Try to seclude yourself behind brush and in shadows, screening the movements of your feet and legs from the view of deer. Do not look directly into the eyes of a deer, avert your eyes until they look away. Consider wearing a face mask or face net to hide your face.

Hunt with the wind inyour face, blowing from the deer to you or sideways. If the wind blows from you towards the deer, the deer will smell you and never appear to you.

Choose an ambush location that suits deer movement, not your wish for a good shooting field. Placing yourself out in the middle of a large field with 300 yards of open space all around is probably not a good strategy. Deer are very cautious and try to remain close to cover.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome Reily! First thing to learn is: 1.Nature, 2.Tracks and signs of the animal you're going to hunt, 3.Practice, Practice, Practiceat the range with the rifle and caliber you're going to be using and be consistant on shot placement, 4. Learn how to distinguish yardage 5. Last, but not least, safety with firearms at all times, for your benifit and mostly others!

The rest of the huntingknowledgewill cometo you as your hunting seasons progress and you learn the nessities that go along with hunting,from others.Good Luck!

Quick Reply: What mistakes/anecdotes do you have from your first time out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.