Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Animals that have busted your deer hunt?! >

Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

I have had dogs and wolves chase out the deer in the area. It's hard to shoot deer if there is none around!

The talk about dogs remindes me of this year when my sisters boyfriend was on the field next to me. I could hear a dog barking but he was much closer to the house that it was at. It was a quiet morn and at about day break the dog started barking. He said next he heard "Shut the &$#( up!" from the owner. The dog stopped for about 2 minutes and started again. He heard that quote again and then a dog yelp loudly but alteast it stopped barking! He said it was hard not to laugh.

[/align]
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Llamas are the worst....
Old 01-11-2006, 08:00 PM

As others have said its the squirrel's. I have had them many times climbed up the tree right at your level and start to bark, then about the same time a nice deer comes in and decides to look at what the noise is all about and then next thing you know is the deer snorts and is gone. And squirrel's are not worth the cost of a good arrow. But like somebody else said when I go out pre-season to get the squirrels you dont see any, then when you deer hunt its like their everywhere. Also almost forgot whenever I see coyote I dont see deer.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nosfedgta
how about dogs!!!!!!!!! I cant beleive that nobody has mentioned them yet. I have had them ruin my hunt many times.
I've had dogs bust up a couple of hunts too!
But, the big, unknown, and curious horse was pretty scary!
Two of the other scariest hunt busters were, once when I saw a Cougar just before dark, knowing that I had to walk inthat direction to get out that evening.

My last, scary, incident was with two dogs. I had just climbed down, after dark, and was taking my climber off of the tree. I had laid my gun down, and these two good sized dogs came running at me, growling! They came within a few feet of me! I guess because I didn't back down from them, they ran off!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM

new guy here i hunt the eastern shore of virginia
i've been busted more than once by foxes and there are also alot of imagrent workers who mess up peoples hunts
Old 01-11-2006, 11:32 PM

My most memorable event happened this season, December 2nd to be exact.

I was sitting against a tree in a little brush blind that I'd made a couple of days previously. This vantage point allowed me to view a little opening in the middle of some thick woods.

About 10 minutes before true light, I heard movement on leaves behind me on the edge of a creek. It was just getting light where I could see about 80 yards into the opening in front of me.

I kept hearing this animal behind me, taking 6 or 8 steps at a time and then stopping, coming closer towards me. I just assumed it was a deer feeding along the creek. As it got lighter, a real nice 10 pointer came out into the opening in front of me, and I kind of lost track of the animal behind me.

I had just seen the buck and started to move my rifle from my lap into position for a shot when I felt and heard a startled snort of hot air on my neck.

I instinctively swiveled around and was staring straight into the tusked mouth of a startled 250-275lb boar feral hog!!!

I swear to you, I'm not sure who was more shocked, but he wasn't happy!!

I flipped the safety off of my rifle and flung it to my shoulder as quickly as possible without even thinking about it, but before I could get into a firing position the boar bulled forward right into my shoulder, mowing me over. Needless to say, a first class gymnast had nothing on me! I rolled over and came up in a shooting position, but that big porker was already in the creek bottom grunting and wheezing like a mad cow.

I spun back around after the threat passed,hoping that buck somehow was deaf to my muffled curses, but he was wiser. I guess he wasn't amused by my antics and had enough of me that morning.

Needless to say, I didn't catch up with that buck this season. I do, however, plan to cook up some pork chops before next November.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

TH,
Sounds like your 10 point had a good body guard. That is why I always carry an extra pair of hunting pants in the truck.

C. Davis
Old 01-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

I made the mistake of feeding an apple to a donkey one morningon one of the properties I hunt. He followed me to for severalminutes, and when he couldn't find me he hee- hawed his ass off blowing my location. Needless to say I left because he would not leave me alone. Now I will stated that doing this during turkey season produces many shock gobbles. There is my claim to fame a donkey hee-haw shock gobble call......
Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

squirrels are the worst
Old 01-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

I made the mistake of feeding an apple to a donkey.......
Man, that is funny,

Sounds like you ran into the 'Yellow Dog' variety. Just throw him a little sliver of an apple every now and then, and he will let you own him for life. Or, he will own you. Of course in the process he will ruin the turkey hunt.

C. Davis

Quick Reply: Animals that have busted your deer hunt?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.