Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond.... >

interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Default interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Hey,

MY name is Brent and I live in Baltimore, MD. My question revolves around farmers and nuisane deer. Do you think it is possible to locate a farmer who has a nuisance population of deer and would like them removed. I heard from a friend that some farmers actually can get permits that allow them to kill deer anytime if they become a problem for their crops, is this true? He also told me that the farmer can pass on these rare hunting privelages/tasks to someone else, if suppose, the farmer doesnt hunt. How true does this seem you you fellas? From my point of view (a hunter) it seems to good to be true, but maybe from the farmers point of veiw, the deer are a real problem. Someone please shed some light on my question.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

No it is true. Where there are high numbers and there is crop damage farmers can get permits. I have hunted on these before also. They are for does only as far as I know. However I belive it would be hard for you to find a farmer that doesnt already have people willing to do this. I come from a farming family here on the Eastern shore and its hard to find a place.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:07 PM

hey,

thanks alot. Yea i guess even if is true, it would be hard to find farms that arent already hunted to the fullest. It is true that these "hunters" can kill deer at any time? Do they have to be 'prefessional" or just any old hunter? Jeeez, i wish i could find me a nice farm, that would be ideal lol.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: geterdun
It is true that these "hunters" can kill deer at any time? Do they have to be 'prefessional" or just any old hunter?
im assuming you mean the people who hunt the farmers land...in which case i suppose they can be anybody who has the neccessary licenses and the farmers permission..from there i cant see any more "requirements". all i can think to do is to either post an add in the paper for the specific purpose of find such land..or asking around farms.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Host of Hosts

I have hunted some farms here in NW PA, and you don't have to be a professional or follow any other regulations than any other hunter does in the state. Except of course if the farmer has sme rules of his own. Farmers get tags called DMAP tags for deer crop damage. The farm I hunted this year has 1000 acres and the PGC issued him 25 DMAP tags. Hope this helps a little bit. And it is for does only.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM

There is a tree farm/nursery near where I live and they were having problems with bucks rubbing their antlers on the small saplings and destroying them. They were able to get permits to try to thin down the number of deer doing the damage.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

If you want to help a farmer who has deer damage permits ask those who have orchards or nurseries/Christmas tree farms. ForOhio 1.)you have to be on the list of shooters, 2.)donate the meat, 3.)noshooting during regular deer season 4.)eithersex can be taken but antlers must be sawed off and give to the DNR.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 PM

In a county close to where I live the farmers are really complaining about nusance deer. The government has started to give out additional seals to hunters but it doesn't seem to be enough. They want to shoot them themselves and they have theatened to do it no matter what the law says.

I found a farm a little futher than the county with the deer problem but there is still way to many of them. He has amazing clover and alfalfa feilds so the deer flock. WE hunted it 2 weekends and I got a 5 point buck on the second day we were there. If you know someone, who knows someone or are just plain lucky it is possible to find places withtoo many deer. And when you do... you look farward to comming back before you've left.

[/align]
Old 01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

yeah in maryland the farmer can apply for crop permits and if he has hunters willing to do it he can give the dnr the names of the shooters, Im on my land owners crop permit deal but wont shoot a doe in the summer months. imagine gutting a doe and a fawn falls out.....nah not for me. I got lucky and found a farmer that wants em dead, and he give me rights to hunt his land. I took 7 this yr. 2 bucks, and 5 doe, and let alot of em walk,yougot to keep the farmer happy! if ya let em all walk he thinks your just trophy hunting and isnt happy, which can result in no right to hunt land, deer cost farmers alot of money.just go around and knock on doors all they can do is say no and maybe youll get lucky and find one thats fed up. good luck
Old 01-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess it varies by state. In SD we can contact the Game and fish people if we have problem deer. They can come and shoot them. However the landowner cannot legally shoot them himself. They can issue crop damage permits but the are for sale and its first come first serve.

I had two tage to fill this last weekend. My nieghbor called me and said to come and shoot a couple off hie haystacks. They climb all over the stacks and pee in the hay and then the cattle won't eat it. When I got there, there were 30 or so deer on or around the stacks. I shot two and the hunt was over in 30 seconds. That was no 7 and 8 for me this year. All Mulie does. I passed on a couple bucks as the doe need to be brought under control. I saw about 75 does saturday alone. They are darn big mule deer.

Quick Reply: interesting question about farmers and deer, please respond....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.