Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tomorrow is the last day need advice. >

Tomorrow is the last day need advice.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tomorrow is the last day need advice.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Tomorrow is the last day need advice.

A.Up to now I've been hunting the edge of an inner swamp. I went into the inner swamp today. Two main trails. So used the dirt is pitch black and rolled over. Lots of different kinds of tracks. I can see where they are using a different trail to advoid coming out in the opening.

B. On my way out about 300 yds I found my first scrape of teh year. I saw a huge deer track in the scrape and a smaller track. This was in a pine/ oak section . I don't fully understand scrapes. I need to be educated.

Tomorrow...woud you..
A. hunt the inner swamp with an intersection. Heavily used or ..

B hunt the scrape?

Thanks Chuck7
Old 01-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tomorrow is the last day need advice.

Hunt the intersection! less than 30% of scrapes are visited during daylight hours and while the buckmay visit, he probably isnt doing it oftenbecause the peak rut has long passed. Younger doe fawns will still come into estrous occasionally but the best bet for them and the others is to watch high travel areas and funnels at this point. If you had this buck patterned my advice would be different but my guess is that if you had him patterned, you wouldn't be looking for advice now.

Last day, go with the odds!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Sir,
Old 01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're welcome but please don't call me sir! We're not in the military and that term is for either superior officers or someone way older than you!

I may be way older but I dont want to be reminded of it!

GOOD LUCK TOMRROW!!!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think its to late to hunt scrapes

dd
Old 01-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Doc.

That's just my kind of game.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 AM

one thing to look at when you find a scrape is see if there is a branch over it that can be used for a licking branch. if Not then he deer that made it will probably never visit it again. The one with the licking branch will be revisited becasue they put the glands on their heads on the brach for other bucks and does to smell.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

A.Up to now I've been hunting the edge of an inner swamp. I went into the inner swamp today. Two main trails. So used the dirt is pitch black and rolled over. Lots of different kinds of tracks. I can see where they are using a different trail to advoid coming out in the opening.

B. On my way out about 300 yds I found my first scrape of teh year. I saw a huge deer track in the scrape and a smaller track. This was in a pine/ oak section . I don't fully understand scrapes. I need to be educated.

Tomorrow...woud you..
A. hunt the inner swamp with an intersection. Heavily used or ..

B hunt the scrape?

Thanks Chuck7

Chuck, areyou hunting the area we discussed? I also believe it's kinda late topay attention to rubs and scrapes! Go by freshtracks!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Next year, put in for this one! Have you ever been there?

WILD HOG HUNTS:

Fort Drum WMA - Three hunts. No size or bag limit. Three days - $50; 20 hunters on 20,858 acres. Camping permitted.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Gents,
Yes REb. I'm hunting at our spot. I'm going deeper in the swamp and can't believe the highway of tracks. Yes ...their is a branch above the scrape. This is fresh because I walk this route often. It is on my tacked out trail.
I plan to hunt th ehighway tomorrow. My wife and I have the flu. I hope i'm up for it.

Quick Reply: Tomorrow is the last day need advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.