Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2002, 09:35 PM

Default RE: What's the best beginner gun for deer hunting?

I would suggest a 243. I started with one and still use it and it's been about 20yrs now. It does the job very well on deer with in a 150yrds.

Good luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say a 7mm-08, better ballistics and down range power than a 243 with comparible recoil. Manufacturers, rem, browning, Savage, Tikka, used of any of the above. Top it with a decent scope and some good quality mounts and she'll last you a lifetime.

Old 10-16-2002, 05:14 AM

Depend's also on what type of terrain wooded ,open field's,swamp's
swamp or dense wood's i recomend either a 20 gauge or 12 gauge deer slayer loaded with slug then buckshot and it will get the job done and are not that expensive if hunting more open area or not a dense wooded area a 243,7-08,or a good ole 30-30 winchester all 3 are excellent deer rifle's and are not pricey
Old 10-16-2002, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

I would also agree with a 243 as well as being light and mild recoil for a younger hunter. You may also want to check with your state regulations and see what minimum caliber is.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:35 AM
Spike

What age would you have a kid start shooting the 243. The reason I ask is my 6 yr older daughter is going hunting crazy. She has been hunting with me since she was 3. She usually sits well about three- four hours. This of course makes daddy happy. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2002, 04:36 PM

I still stand by a 243 in regards to a rifle. Low recoil, light weight and in most cased cost effective, As mentioned no problem taking deer down.

Keep in mind that shot placement is key, and as another board member mentioned in another posting many escimos (? spelling) hunt pollar bears with 22 cal. rifles and I have viewed hunitng footage with these same people dropping these bear, which are the largest on the planet, with 243's as well.

However, all the adivse given has been good in my oppinion. It a matter of personal choice and sound knowledge of ethical shot placements.

Good Luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with a Savage 99 lever action in .250 Savage. You can only pick these up used now-a-days, but they're well worth the effort put into finding one.

Old 10-17-2002, 02:22 PM

a savage package gun. i think .308 win is the best choice for beginners because of the cheap milsurp pratice ammo

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna say get a .308 winchester, in a Savage 110. GREAT cheap starter gun, and the .308 is a great deer round, with VERY managable recoil, and you would be able to hunt whatever you want with it for the most part.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.