Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun Blueing

Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Gun Blueing

I chose to post this here because there ae more hunters. I plan to reblue my old Ithica 37 12 guage. I 've never done it before but noticed you can get the supplies from some Walmarts. Can someone explain to b me in a real simple way how to reblue a gun. I only wan tto protect the barrell ..it does not got to come out like new.
Thanks,
Chuck7
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Default RE: Gun Blueing

Chuck, what you are referring to is a "cold" blue. This type of blueing is used for little touch ups. If you blue the whole barrel and receiver, it will get really rusty really fast. Their are a couple of alternatives on the market I beleive, but m not 100% sure. The best best is send it somewhere for a "hot" blue. More expensive, but a lot less headaches and a much better job. Good luck
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

My dad got a brand new Ithaca shot gun a real nice gun for turkey hunting. We were come back from hunt and we had some garbage in the trunk which was on top of the gun. When we got home i felt his case was wet but my gun was in a hard case. And when he opened up he case some beet juice got on the reciver it was bare metal. he was almost in tears. He ran and got some cold blue and put it. You could barly tell any thinghad happen. I now you can get the stuff at walmart. but I think that is more for touch up.But it may work I would try in on a gun barrel if you got one laying around.Good luck
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Did your dad steal wool it first down to bare metal??
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I think he did a little but it was pretty much bare. I will ask him
Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Did your dad steal wool it first down to bare metal??

Chuck,
If you have a Dick`s sporting goods near you they have the whole cold blue kit. It comes with 3 bottles of stuff and instructions. It`s $15 for the kit. I just saw it the other day at the one in shoppintown mall. I was going to do it to my old ithaca 37 also. Good luck

Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks,
My brother in law did a cold blue jpb on his complete shotgun. Looks brand new. My Ithica shoots to good to disgard. I get very good slug groups at 50 yds with my modified barrel . I'm real good at cleaning my guns but somehow this baby got rust all over the barrell. The stock also needs work but I've seen new Ithica 37 stocks on ebay for a good price. I tried buying a new barrel for it once but my serial numbers were lower than the barrel Cabelas was selling. I got the gun willed from my grandfather. A Featherlite Ithica 37. Great shooting shotgun. Kicks like a mule though when using slugs.
Thanks for the reply,
Chuck7
Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM

I'm real good at cleaning my guns but somehow this baby got rust all over the barrell.
I would try removing the rust before reblueing it.JMHO I would use a fine steel wool with some gun oil on it. Rub it down and the rust will come off. Then wipe it down with a gun rag, and apply another layer of oil. See if that doesn't help. Good luck
Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll try that thanks . I've got some 0000 steel wool . I'll do it right now before I go to work.
C7
Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I just got done steel wooling with oil and 0000 steel wool. Looks much better.
Thanks for the tip
Chuck7

Quick Reply: Gun Blueing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.