Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance... >

Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance...

Old 10-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance...

Got a nice little 2x3 Muley on Sunday morning right after first light;

http://www.powerandfury.net/j02deer.html

At the bottom of the page is a link to more pictures of damage caused by the shot. Please don't look at them if you are sensitive to blood and guts in living color.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance...

Power, congrats and thanks for the update. So what are your thoughts compared to BT's? Would you reccomend this bullet over BT's or SST? I think I am going to give the SST's a go this fall and see how they perform, but still haven't ruled out 150 BT's. Also a buddy mentioned he has great results with Hornady 139 Gr out of his 7 rem Mag, any thoughts? It is getting a little close but still have a little shoulder left to play and tinker.

Anybody ever used Hornady 139 Gr boattails out of 7 rem Mag for bigger Deer? All thought welcomed, thanks.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 10/15/2002 15:47:06
Old 10-15-2002, 03:11 PM

How big are you talking about? I have killed 275 lb deer with the Hornady 139 gr. BTSP and that in the only one I would use. This particular Hornady, I believe wouldn't have any problem with any North Amerigan Big Game animal.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stone Cold, that is about the size 250-300 we grow up here. I should have stated the size I was referring too. Thanks for your reply!

Old 10-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter-I'm not totally pleased with either the performance or the accuracy of that bullet. I've shot deer with the BT and they drop at the shot. I doubt I'll use the Scirocco again unless you are shooting "Texas-lung-shots" or through the shoulders. Then the bullet should perform well. For a broadside shot I think more explosive would be better.

Greg-Accuracy wasn't that good, 2 1/2" group at 100. The saving grace is at 300 all shots stayed within about a 6" circle and that is probably decent enough for deer and elk to those ranges. I'm sure a larger diameter bullet (.30 cal) would have done a little better but not much. I think unless you are shooting really big deer or elk that the Scirocco is too much bullet for the application.

Final though, I think I'll go to Partitions for a while. Not quite as accurate as the BT but seems the front blows up good while the rear goes through to give a wound channel and blood trail. Need to find a good balance between expended energy and blood-loss for tracking.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:16 PM
XTP

Skeeter....I use the Hornady interloc in 140 grain in my .270 and would not think of changing.I'm from Manitoba and have taken several bucks in the 250-300 lb range and have always been impressed with the bullets performance.I might try the SST's once tham hit the shevles in 140 or 150 grain...think the 130's are a little light for these Canadian deer.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Power, the bullet retention was impressive, but like you said the shock stopping power wasn't, thus why I like boattail and BT's in particular. I ran another batch of Scirocco's last week same results 2" plus groups at 100. They are out for sure. I just don't like the performance of Parts. with regards to accuracy they are in the 2". Like said I may give the SST a go, but just can't decide. I also tried some 140Gr. Ultra Corelokts, well I had to try rem. one last time and the will be the last time...they shot horrible (buddy gave them to me, factory mo). Power have you ever loaded up Hornady?

XTP, thanks. How do you think the 139 will hold together out of a 7 Rem Mag? The other problem is I won't get handloads of this bullet, so I will be forced to buy 139Gr Custom Hornady (over the counter).

Old 10-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Power have you ever loaded up Hornady?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

You know I never have but I might try them next. I'm also starting to think about trying the 175g bullets as they seem to have a better Bal. Coef. than the lighter bullets for this caliber.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats a little baby hole! i shot a button buck at about 10ft with my 3006 with 180gr corelokts and i shot the left leg and broke it completely(i shot its left side...)in the pic the leg is hanging there...the in hole was a bit smaller than the size of a pop bottle cap...the lungs were just pieces..and the exit hole no lie i could probaly fit my fist through( i was 13 and hands arent huge but thats still a big hole!) ive never seen a bullet do that..everybody talks about how hollow points and bts are so violent...my dad took a doe last year with bts and it was identical to my 308 performance using 168gr hpbt he used a 3006 nbt the in hole wasnt visable from the outside and the exit was about the size of a pop cap...but the insides were rippppped to pieces and both deer never flinched again...the bullet you used definently isnt one i would use for devistation....i too like devistating bullets because you either drop them or they go on one more run that leaves a blood trail you need waders to get across!
nice pics you gave some people like me a first hand look at them bullets performance without us using them...

Quick Reply: Got my deer/Scirocco bullet performance...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.