Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sabot Rounds

Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Sabot Rounds

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the word Sabot. Why is it that every sportsmans place I go, people mispronounce the word Sabot bypronouncing it as if it were defined as a shoe? (see below). I learned the correct pronunciation while in the Marine Corps, yet I get corrected at places like Gander Mountain, and Dick's?????

sa·bot (P)Pronunciation Key(s-b, sb)
n.
[ol][*]A wooden shoe worn in some European countries.[*](sbt) A sandal or shoe having a band of leather or other material across the instep.[*]A lightweight carrier in which a projectile of a smaller caliber is centered so as to permit firing the projectile within a larger-caliber weapon. The carrier fills the bore of the weapon from which the projectile is fired; it is normally discarded a short distance from the muzzle. [/ol]
Old 01-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sabot Rounds

Most folks here don't speak French , or badly mangle it when they try .
Everyone I know pronounces it "sah-bott" like robot , it drives me nuts . The "say-bo" crowd gets on my nerves too , but at least they're closer.

Gawd help us if a bullet company ever comes out with a "nuculer saybo" , I may go postal...
Old 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

In 1823, the first shell guns were invented by the French General Henri-Joseph<br> ... For guns they were latterly fitted with a wooden disc called a sabot, ...

Sabot means shoe in French, pronounced (say-bow).

Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM

I say Suh-bo. But, does it really matter?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM

I say sabot, just like it is spelled. I am not french I could give a crap how they pronounce it. If they wanted it pronounced different there would be hyphen or something on the end of letting you know.

Paul
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Wow
Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care how others refer to it..however when refering to its use in a gun, (For example in shotguns and muzzleloaders)the proper pronunciation is SAY-bo....the T is not pronounced.

sabot (să-bō', săb'ō)[/align]
A sabot (French: shoe) is a device used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile or bullet that is smaller than the bore diameter. Since a strong seal is needed to trap propellant gasses behind the projectile, and keep the projectile centered in the barrel, something is needed to fill the gap between projectile and barrel, which is the role of the sabot. Made of some lightweight material (usually plastic in smallbore guns, and aluminum - and in earlier times; wood - in cannon), the sabot usually consists of several pieces held in place by the cartridge or a loose connection. When the projectile is fired, the sabot blocks the gas, and accelerates the projectile down the barrel. When the sabot reaches the end of the barrel, the shock of hitting still air pulls the parts of the sabot away from the projectile, allowing the projectile to continue in flight.
Sabots are used to fire the flechettes that form anti-armour kinetic energy penetrators.
For reasons why a smaller diameter projectile is desirable, see external ballistics and terminal ballistics.
Sabot-type shotgun slugs were marketed in the U.S. starting in about 1985. When used with a rifled slug barrel, they offer vastly improved accuracy compared to traditional shotgun slugs. They are now legal for deer hunting in most states.

http://www.answers.com/topic/sabot
[/align]
Old 01-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it that every sportsmans place I go, people mispronounce the word Sabot bypronouncing it as if it were defined as a shoe? (see below). I learned the correct pronunciation while in the Marine Corps, yet I get corrected at places like Gander Mountain, and Dick's?????
As you can see you actually learned how to mispronounce it. Perhaps your way of pronouncing it is the commonly accepted manner now(in the Marines), however it is not the proper pronunciation based on standard phonetics.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Ding,Ding JCC!

Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

MMM...MM good Reb...

Do they serve Venison....?

In any case, back to this pronunciation thing. I always thought either version was fine. I was under the belief that there was no such thing as a sabot, (pronounced with the T), therefore it was not wrong to use that version based on definition, only one phonetics.

However after doing a little research, the version with a hard T pronunciation is actually wrong by definition as well.

When pronounced with the standard method..((s-b, sb) here is the two defintions....

1 : a wooden shoe worn in various European countries,a shoe having a sabot strap
2 : a thrust-transmitting carrier that positions a missile in a gun barrel or launching tube and that prevents the escape of gas ahead of the missile

However when pronounced with the hard T,('sa-b&t)one is actually refering to the leather strap that goes on to a wooden shoe as defined above.

b (1) : a strap across the instep in a shoe especially of the sandal type

So the moral of the story here is that not only is pronouncing the T incorrect by definition and phonetics....but the verion (Sa-BOT) is every bit as French as is the proper verion (Say-Bo)...

I still don't really care how people say it...but at least you all know the facts now..

Webster dictionary...
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sabot

Quick Reply: Sabot Rounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.