Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you smoke while in your deer stand? >

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
36.63%
No
51.49%
Sometimes
11.88%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Old 01-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

i do, i feel the same as you , if i can't enjoy myself why be there.....if i didnt i would having nic fits and it would just end up getting stressed, lol......
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Spike

Smile I sure do

I smoke in my deer stand. Although, I try to keep it to a minimum (about 1 an hour). I see there are varying opinions on this subject. I can say I have killed 3 deer so far this year. A few weeks ago, I had just finished a smoke and had a doe walk within 30 feet (not yards) of my deer stand. I have read several articles and threads on this subject and all the opinions vary. I think more than the smoke, its the movement of smoking that spooks the deer. Especially if you are not paying attention to your movements. We all know deer have a very keen sight to movement. I think as long as you don't smoke up the woods and watch your pace of movement while smoking, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

I don,t like the movement associated with it also. Try to keep it at a minimum. Butts go in a zip loc baggie after use.
Put a butt upwind of a trail once and next two deer through turned cross wind at it right to me.
Would require more tests to prove but a snootfull in that case caused a change in course.
Others i,ve put cigg down to shoot.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

well I am a part time smoker I guess, anyways we have a 6 week bow season and I dont allow anyone to smoke in my woods, my property. Gun season gets here and I keep that rule for the 1st week after that go ahead and light up. But no butts on the ground. I also dont let people pee on the ground until after the first week, cant really monitor that but I do let them know I dont want them doing it.

My belief is that I want to leave the woods without a trace of me being there. After the first week of gun, I usually put the pee bottle in the garbage grab a pack of smokes and go and just enjoy myself without caring if I shoot something or not.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Spike

Never I need all the help I can get.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
well I am a part time smoker I guess, anyways we have a 6 week bow season and I dont allow anyone to smoke in my woods, my property. Gun season gets here and I keep that rule for the 1st week after that go ahead and light up. But no butts on the ground. I also dont let people pee on the ground until after the first week, cant really monitor that but I do let them know I dont want them doing it.

My belief is that I want to leave the woods without a trace of me being there. After the first week of gun, I usually put the pee bottle in the garbage grab a pack of smokes and go and just enjoy myself without caring if I shoot something or not.
Not sure why the peeing in the woods would be a big deal. Deer smell urine all the time so that won't spook them. Many years ago there was a so called "expert" biologist on one of the hunting shows who said studies show that animals can smell urine but can tell the difference between human urine and other animal urine.

On the original subject I used to smoke and have killed many deer after smoking. Some shortly after smoking and some an hour or so after.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

i quit smoking..... but shot a nice buck smoking with an open rockstar!!!

Last edited by 07superglide; 11-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have smoked right before heading to the stand. But when on stand I usually chew some Grizz. The deer around this area are in more contact with people and scents they are less wary. I once had a buck stalking me & my buddy in broad daylight. He got within about 10 yards of us and we about crapped. I yelled and stomped at him and he took off. Didn't have my bow with me as we were tracking a huge bloodtrail of a doe I took. He was acting strangely and definately seemed unafraid. I've had deer trail me out of the woods in the dark after an evening hunt, but never in the daytime.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Hey, some say peeing affects the deer and some say that it doesn't. me I am going on the side of caution and not peeing.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I use to smoke .... shot a deer with a bow smoke clenched in my teeth .....that was 25 years ago deer arent the same critters .... much smarter /conditioned what ever.Since quitting I would say I see way more mature deer ... and much closer.I have used a smoke as a blocker on an escape route to my advantage.I have watched deer sneak around my buddys uncle while he sat puffing a smoke on a stump in a clear cut 300 yds away from me only to pass 20 feet from my stand .

Quick Reply: Do you smoke while in your deer stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.