Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

300 win mag

Old 12-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 win mag

The 300 win mag is just fine for deer and bear. It is not required for either but if you can handle it....not to big either.

The 7mm rem mag is also a fine choice, as of late to the 3006 statusas an all arounder for most NA game that doesn't pack serious recoillike some of the otherbig guns.

Either gun will handle anything upto the big bears for the NA biggame hunter.

I have taken Deer, Moose and Elk with both the 300 and 7mm rem mag, honestly didn't notice any practical differences...both extremely effective choices if the shooter does his/her part. Pick the right bullet for the task and put it where it counts....

Old 01-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Pick the right bullet for the task and put it where it counts....
EXACTLLY. It doesn't matter if its a 300 or a 7 or a 243, just bullet placement. Heck you can kill a deer with a .22 and most definalty a .17
Old 01-01-2006, 12:23 AM

If you think that the 7mmremmag is the biggest hardest kicking gun ,you havevery little experience
Buw ha ha ha ha. I didn't say it was the biggest. But it is big and does kick. I have loads of experience, I shoot cannons, homemade poop shooting guns, A1 tank cannons by hand pootie pootie pooo ha ha. Just like bows is the same with guns, there are no bad guns, just bad shooters. I have loads of experience at shooting guns. I started shooting a .22 at the age of five. Been shooting ever since, I know my guns, the basic ones anyway, I am a pretty big guy, I eat my potatoes and toss the weights around in teh gym twice a day 7 days aweek. When i say a gun kicks, it kicks, when I say something is heavy, its heavy, when I say the sun rises, it rises, when I say to the sun "set yo ass down and be dark", it gets dark real darn quick. You see my quotes of Chuck in my sig? Even Chuck does what the hell I say, and he's a bad mofo.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buw ha ha ha ha. I didn't say it was the biggest
You actually said.

now days everyone wants the biggest hardest kicking gun. Thats what I wanted, thats why I bought the 7mm.
If you really feel that the 7mmremmag is big and has a lot of recoil you should try some of the heavier magnums like the300ultramag,30-378,338ultramag,340wby,375h&h etc.If you were to do so you would realize that the 7mmremmag is actually very mild in comparison.I hunt with some small individuals that shoot the 7mmremmag and find it very manageable.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:07 AM

hey stub, I bet those bullets are expensive for those aren't they? I'd like to have a large gun but some how I change my mind when its time to buy ammo.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:08 AM

yea the .243 is great gun and cheaper to shoot but the original person who posted this wanted one for bear hunting and i dont thnk the .243 would be adequate and after this year i saw the buck i killed take two nosler ballistic tips from my 7mm mag to its lungs and after that i couldnt stand to think of the power degradance from my 7mm andtaking a chance in lettinga big buck get away
Old 01-01-2006, 11:31 AM

so you shot a buck twice with a 7mm and it ran off? I would think the earth would crash into the moon before that would ever happen. You must have been aiming at its ear or tail LOL J/K. I've dropped deer deed right where they stand with mine. I've never had any problems, not even close what so ever with killing something with a 7mm. I had some pics on my computer before I had to format it AGAIN of a buck I shot and the 7mm left a golf ball size exit hole, this was at 95 yards. I may run into problems with the 243 though. I really want to get one for next year but I dont' know if anything could ever replace my good ole 7mm. She's put down many deer. All bucks to be exact LOL. Only 7 but I've only been hunting for 4 1/2 years too. LOL.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey stub, I bet those bullets are expensive for those aren't they? I'd like to have a large gun but some how I change my mind when its time to buy ammo.
Myself and my partners all handload which cuts the cost dramatically considering how much we shoot year round.
However seeing as how cost seems so important to you I have to ask,how many rounds do you fire practising every year?

Old 01-01-2006, 11:56 AM

utmstudent! It appears you are trying to one argue about cost of ammo, most of the people you are arguing with on here are around 50 yrs old, hunted for 30-40 yrs, have money, either reload or really don't care about the cost of shells. Two, I am 48 and shoot almost every weekend, used all kinds of calibers and stayed with the 300 mag because of its versitility.The 30-30 is a 30 cal bullet and so is the 300. But with the 300 you can download for deer or upload for whatever animal you are going after.Does'nt really matter what caliber you use, if you can't place your shot it is unethical, dangerous and notfair to the animal. You do know that Chuck Norris is an actor and not real right?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:29 PM

You do know that Chuck Norris is an actor and not real right?
NO!!!!!!! he's real.

It appears you are trying to one argue about cost of ammo, most of the people you are arguing with on here are around 50 yrs old, hunted for 30-40 yrs, have money
so just because you have money means you should spend it?? I have money, I am debating what I truck i am going to buy and I'm paying cash. Just because I have 100 bucks doesn't mean I want to spend all of it, I try to find ways to save money. One way is if a 243-cheaper to shoot gun will get the job done, for deer, then why shoot a bigger more expensive caliber? Common sense to me..........shoot the cheaper gun, if it gets the job done.

if you can't place your shot it is unethical, dangerous and notfair to the animal.

I've been preaching that for years pal, you ain't telling me anything, tell that crap to the ignorant ppl that think shooting a deer 1000 yards is ethical.

It appears you are trying to one argue
I don't care what cal you use or how much money you want to spend. Do what you will, I just stated what I thought.

either reload or really don't care about the cost of shells
thats not too smart. I guess you just have money to burn right?

how many rounds do you fire practising every year?
I shoot each year, most of the time it only takes one shot, just to see if my gun is still holding a zero. I've had the same box of shells for 4 1/2 years. thats after a couple bucks and shooting before the season. Me and my cheap o scope and my 7mm do pretty well for one to two shots just to make sure the gun is still set. I don't have to waste a whole box of 30 dollar ammo just to see if I can hit a target. I have 3 inches high at 100 yards and thats all I need. No 400 yard shots for me.

Did you know that in 1957 Steven Hawkings was the first and only man to ever outsmart Chuck Norris? He learned his lesson LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.