Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here) >

MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here)

Old 12-30-2005, 02:05 PM

Default MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here)

With the New Year just around the corner I thought it would be a good start to reminise back to the day of taking our first deer, I'll start...

...I took my first deer, I think it was my second season, I was about17. It was late in the season and we did not have much meat in the freezer.I think my Dad only had one down. I seen a group of 6 does running along the bottom of the ravine I was over looking when they suddenly changed direction and started heading toward me. They ran within about 30-40 yards of me right behind this blow down on the top of a little knoll. I had made my blind out of another blow down(uprooted tree) just like it. I peaked up to see where they were and ifI could get a shot. I seen them picking at the forst floor but one was looking right at me, so I quickly kneeled back down. His curiosity got the best of him. He peeked his head up over the blown down tree to see whatmysterious creature he just saw. I quickly shouldered the 12ga and put the crosshairs on his neck BANG! Got my first deer. Bout a 90lbs. button buck. I was so happy, I remember calling my dad on the 2-way. Ah to be young again...lol I'm only 24 now.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here)

My first deer. I was stationed ion the military and quickly scouted an area near I95 where I used to pick dead deer up off the road in Maryland. I carried 3 2"x4"s in the woods with a hammer ,handsaw and nails and made a quick stand. I was a brand new Christian and brought my big King James Bible with me. I nearly read the entire book of Jeremiah . I was freezing cold and standing up when I spotted the reflection of the sun off of a 3 point buck. I was using my dad's 30-30. when the deer saw me and bolted toward my left through heavy cover. I thought quick and saw a little clear spot he would probably run through. I wsn't sure if my bullet would drop or not so I was going to aim at the top of his back. I already had the gun shouldered....and when he sprang across the clear patch I squeezed off the round. The deer folded up and layed still. I jumped nearly out of my stand excited. I ran to my deer and finished him off with my knife carefully saving th eheart and liver. My shot had hit him in the back bone. {The bullet had not dropped} I was so proud. Her he is.when I was 22.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM

Well I was 15 years old and it was my second season out. Me and my grandfather drove to northern missouri to hunt during the youth only hunt and was really excited. When we got their it was cold and frost everywhere. I got dressed and loaded the rifle. As we wer heading back we wer talking through what i was to do if we did see one. We sat down just inside the timber while watching over a field. At about 9:30 we decided to walk a little further in to the timber. GOOD move we were ther for abouth 10mins and I stood up and saw a small 4 pointer walkin towards me I quickly said a deer is coming he said shoot the son of a buck i said i cant he to far out. Well he eventually came close enough I held it on his chest and sealed the deal. Ohhhh Man it was cool my first deer down. well that was fine and all but it was alot of work getting it out of the woods.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM

I was twelve years old when i killed my first deer. I was down in southern Indiana and it was my second time out when a small doe stepped about 20 yards in front of me (perfectly broadside). I shouldered the 45. caliber muzzleloader and stuck the sights on her shoulder and squezzed. She ran about 100 yards down a little ravine and dropped jumping over a fence. It was really cool, but the coolest part was that i had my dad with me in the stand.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

my first deer was this year, a 130 pound doe with a 30-06 rifle. she came walking in behind us, i had plenty of time to get my nerves together, perfect heart shot, she dropped after running 20 yards.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:49 PM

my first deer, hmmm...my dad and i had been hunting this certain 160 acre property all week of the '05 rifle season. it finally came down to the wire on the last day of the season. we were just getting ready to leave when the landowner tells us that they're getting a big drive together (40+ people) so my dad heads back to his stand and i head to mine. well i was sittin' up there for maybe 10 minutes looking out the shooting lanes. those were the only places i'd have a shot, the brush was so dense. soon i hear the drivers start going but it would be awhile until they headed in my direction. but 'lol and behold, i saw a pair of legs walking through the brush (it was so dense thats all i could see). so i got my gun up and put the crosshairs about where i thought it would cross the lane. and sure enough, a couple seconds later it comes running (absolutly RUNNING) accross the lane. i found it in my scope and squezed on the trigger, straight down went the button buck and my first deer. its an experience to remember, lemme tell ya.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun:
I was standing on a bald rock, the dogger came to the base of the rock and stopped and sat for for a few minutes (give everyone else a chance to get to their stands). A yearling doe moved towards us, the dogger didn't see her but I did, got three shots off before I saw hunter orange in my peripheral vision and stopped shooting, the dogger took up where I left off and she fell within sight (found blood back at my 1st shotsandthat was a group hunt so all meat was shared equally).

Bow:
Just this year I built a stand and spent alot of mornings in it with my camera, got lots of pictures of does but never saw any bucks. Season opened and I toldthe land owner that I didn't have high hopes because I didn't havean antlerless tag. 2nd weekend out I see 2 deer moving thru the soybeans towards me, I notice one is a small buck and get excited, the buck leaves the field but the other deer keeps coming. At 60yrd I see that its also a small buck (6pt), it walked right below me, too close because using my 20yrd pin the arrow went right over its back. Luckily deer are very curious, the small buck ran 20yrds then returned trying to figure out what had just happened, this time my 20yrd pin as perfect.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 PM

My first deer was a Mule deer. It was 4 years ago. I seen the doe run down into a coulee and i decided to follow it because it was a big doe and it wasnt spooked at all. So I slowly and quietly walked over to the fence where I seen the doe walk along down into the coulee. When I got up to it there was no sign of the doe. So I decided to crawl under the fence and continue along the coulee. But as I put my gun down and took my backpack off i had a feeling that just as I was crawling under the fence the deer would show its self. But I decided to continue on anyways. Sure enough I was half way under the fence and the doe came running up the other side of the coulee which was about 40yds away. So I quickly backed myself out from under the fence grabbed my rifle flipped the safety off and fired. Perfect shot it hit right in the heart just as she was about to disappear over the top of the coulee.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gun:
It was my second year of hunting, 13 years old, and it was the youth weekend hunt. My dad was late getting home from work so we made it into the woods around 6.00 pm. At 6.10 I heard some noises in the woods coming closer. Finally I saw what was making it. A group of 6 deer were making there way past my stand. At 15 yds, the lead doe stopped and my scope found her chest. 40 yds later she fell over from the double lung hit.

Bow:
Just last year, 5th year hunting, I was out on the second day of archery season. At 4.30 pm I was in my stand "early" for my evening hunt. I really wasn't expecting anything to be moving until about 6.30 pm, but around 5.30 I heard splashing in the nearby stream. I looked over and saw brown. Shortly after the deer made its way into my shooting lane. I saw it was a small buck...but I didn't care...so I drew my bow and ancored. He was stratleling a log when the arrow flew. The 15 yd shot hit a little far back and he went about 175 yds. In addition to being my first deer with a bow...he was also my first buck ever.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pic of first bow deer and first buck.

Quick Reply: MY FIRST DEER(post your stories here)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.