Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how old should a child be able to hunt alone >

how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
12 years old
48.57%
13 years
5.71%
14 years
8.57%
15 years +
37.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Old 12-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting age

I think as a parent it would be irresponsable to let a child under 15 go to the woods with a high powerd rifle andhunt unsupervised...you read EVERY year about someone getting shotbecause a hunter did not recognize what they were shooting at and before I put a long shooting high powered rifle in a childs hands he will have to proove to me he can recognize a target... I do however think that a small gaged shotgun would be the right weapon to start a 12 yr old out with ...as he showed maturity I would let him work into a 22 rifle and then a deer rifle when as a parent I felt he was ready for such a resposability... JMHO.

dd
Old 12-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the rules, here in NH, at 16 you are required to get your own license and can hunt on your own, with hunter safety completed of course. Prior to 16 you can hunt, carry a gun, have your own limits etc, but you have to be under the direct physical control of an adult hunter.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

i'm 13 and i started carrying the gun when i was 12 but i have to have a mentor there without a gun till i'm 15

sault
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 AM

Why does there HAVE to be a law?

This whole topic is convolouted. Totally not clear. Does this mean supervised or not supervised hunting?. How about amending the poll to give the option of NO Age requirement? Heck, why not 21? They can't smoke or drink till then, obviously that is when the "responsiblilty" hormone kicks in. While I totally agree that a 12 or 13 year old should not be out hunting alone, if you have a law that says they can't hunt at all, well that just hurts people that enjoy the sport together. If you push this, then a parent with a 10 or 11 year old kid that is mature and capable can't hunt, totally supervised, of course, with their parent.

Every kid is different. Mine both killed their first deer at 7 and 9 last year. There is a difference between being able to hunt alone and under the supervision of an adult. If a kid is capable of handling a firearm safely and is mature enuff to listen and learn, there is no reason that they should not be able to go and participate. Of course, it takes allot of investment of time and effort on the behalf of the parent.

Just one more opportunity for the government to intrude in our lives and to make it even harder to get young people involved in the sport.

Hank

Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 AM

12 is appropriate for most and younger is even better for some. I be;leive 8-10 will work as long as the adult is also trained and within arms distance of the younger hunter. I saw 20 year olds I did not want to be inn the woods with and 10 year olds who practiced great hunter safety. One of the biggest problems is using the appropriate firearm or bow. Most kids a re gun shy and sticking a 12 gauge or 30-06 in their hands will not produce a very experienced hunter. He/she will never want to shoot it.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 AM

I'm glad a few weeks ago I could take my youngest son (10) hunting with me for a memory of a lifetime. I think the key is that the child is supervised. My 12 year old son has shot three bucks.

One problem of exposing children to hunting at 16 or so is that you might have to much competition at that age. Girls and cars. There is a fascination in a boys eyes at a early age that might not be there later. I'm really not a big hunter. I have never shot at a deer myself.

One thing that helped us was being at a club that provided guidelines. I would have felt very uncomfortable on public land or at a club without a board to check in at before the hunt. We hunt out of box stands which allow for great conversation and mentoring/relational parenting.

I really wish this were left open for the parents who want to invest the time to do it right. There is nothing like walking up to a buck with your son and saying "Son, you have what it takes!" Those are the words every young boy wants to hear from his dad.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I took my son to the Hunter Safety Course when he was 12, but 4 months later he turned 13 and I bought him a Winchester "Carbine" .30-30, a Winchester 1300 and a CVA "Eclipise" .50 cal ML. With one condition, he could only use them when he went with me untill he was 16.

< Message edited by Rebel Hog -- 12/26/2005 6:01:54 PM >

Yes jaylong, I started taking my son when he was 8yrs old and had 8yrs of expirence before I let him go on his own!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

They are trying to get the age limit down to 8 in wis. I pray to god that this doesnt happen. Right now its 12.
I pray to God it does.

Can you please explain why it shouldn't be. I will restate what I said before.

I believe there should be no minimum age as long as the hunter is within arms reach of an adult until they are 14. I believe that kids will learn a lot more this way, hands on, rather than in a classroom at hunters safety.

And I am saying this as a person who has been shot by a 14 year old with a 30-06, and yes, nearly died.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

They are trying to get the age limit down to 8 in wis. I pray to god that this doesnt happen. Right now its 12.
I pray to God it does.

Can you please explain why it shouldn't be. I will restate what I said before.

I believe there should be no minimum age as long as the hunter is within arms reach of an adult until they are 14. I believe that kids will learn a lot more this way, hands on, rather than in a classroom at hunters safety.

And I am saying this as a person who has been shot by a 14 year old with a 30-06, and yes, nearly died.

Not trying to be argumentivebut I suppose with this logic that we should lower the driving age down to 12 or maybe not have an age just as long as they can reach the peddles and have had training from their parent? There must be a reason that there is a legal age to opperate a vehicle (a deadly weapon in the wrong hands)wonder what that reason might be ...

dd
Old 12-27-2005, 12:13 PM

Way to go Jay, you are doing it right.

There is a huge difference between sitting in a box blind with a child, teaching and in complete control of the situation and being in a car on a public highway. Learning about behavior and game choice is just the beginning.There is so much thatgoes into the preparation for the actual hunt, not to mention the basics. Range time, education, safety etc.
Any moron can see the difference.
Let a 12 year old out on his/her own, no way.
Teach a 7 or 8 year old everything you know and completely control the hunt where they are allowed to take game, absoloutly.

Hank

Quick Reply: how old should a child be able to hunt alone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.