Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Road Kill

Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default Road Kill

I myself dont pick up a deer thats been hit by a vehicle. Not saying I havent picked up the ones Ive hit myself but when I did hit it I took the entire deer. It really bothered me the other day when I was pulling into my driveway and looked up the road just a bit and saw a deer laying there withno head. The deer had just been recently hit.I guess its just aggravating seeing this and it looks bad on hunters. We dont need to give the antihunters anymore fuel to add to the fire. Am I wrong on this?
Old 12-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Road Kill

SLOBS are everywhere. You are right arrow.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:41 PM

So you are saying let a perfectly good set of antlers get takin by some one else. If I see a dead deer in the ditch that has been freshly hit with good meat i call the C.O and get a salvage tag for the meat. If i see one that has been hit a while ago with a rack on it, i am going to just take the rack i aint going to cut the head off of it. just simply take the rack and pull the deer into the ditch farther so no one sees it like maybe a little kid. So i am a slob for taking the antlers off of a dead deer? If you saw a 190" buck laying in the ditch that had rotten meat i suppose you would just drive by and leave the rack! NOT.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I would take the rack. A lot of states pay workers to drive around and load up dead deer off the roads. I don't think they'll be offended if they find a deer without a head or one with a divot cut in his head. Heck, some of the ones that get hit by the18 wheelers coming down off a mountain...now THAT'S a mess!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:02 AM

Not trying to be smart her or offend anyone but what would you do with antlers from a road kill?
Its not exactly any trophy value is it?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

nothing tenderizes venison better than the front bumper of a 3,000 pound vehicle.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 AM

I've come accross 2 headless deer in the past two years. It seems a bit grusome, and leaves me speculating about how big the rack was. It may be that the game warden tested the heads for cwd but that's the best spin I can put on it. I can understand a hunter taking the antlers for rattling purposes, but if he were a thoughtful sportsman the carcass should be moved back in the woods, out of site.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you saw a 190" buck laying in the ditch that had rotten meat i suppose you would just drive by and leave the rack!
YES I would. Why would I possibly want a road kill section on my wall? Only thing ever to go on my wall would be a memory of a special hunt - NOT a memory of crawling thru a ditch to hack off a smelly head!

Only reason I could see was if someone used them for craft items like knife handle etc.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

190' would sure make some damn good rattlin horns though.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Im not gonna lie.........Ive snatched a set of huge horns off road kill........
its a terrible thing......but the horns are great

Quick Reply: Road Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.