Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spread restrictions?

Old 12-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spread restrictions?

What does everyone think about some states/area's putting "spread restrictions" on harvestable bucks? To me this seems hard to abide by. Are you suppose to tell the buck to wait and stand still so you can measure his antler's spread before shooting? I think the idea is a step in the right direction for QDM but wouldn't it be easier to put "point restrictions" on harvestable bucks? What's ya'lls opinions?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Spread restrictions?

I've seen 12 point bucks have a 10 inch inside spread. Pretty weak looking deer up close. I'm in favor of restrictions, and our county will be going to a 13" inside spread next year. Only experience is the best trainer when judging a deers rack. I use 1 simple rule: If the rack is past or lined up with the deers ears at the "alert" position, I'm shooting. Also, we will probably go to having an extended season to cull out spike bucks and take excess does.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

What does everyone think about some states/area's putting "spread restrictions" on harvestable bucks? To me this seems hard to abide by. Are you suppose to tell the buck to wait and stand still so you can measure his antler's spread before shooting? I think the idea is a step in the right direction for QDM but wouldn't it be easier to put "point restrictions" on harvestable bucks? What's ya'lls opinions?

Gosh, and I thought the 5" height in Fl was bad!
Old 12-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

That concept is a joke! Too much guessing involved. Point restrictions is the way to go and that isn't fool proof.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm for trophy management,IF it is done by individuals and/or hunting clubs. I don't think the government needs to be involved other than enforcement of game laws and the setting of harvest numbers (by qualified wildlife personel).
Old 12-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Host of Hosts

timbercruiser, I couldn't agree more. The gov should not be in the business of making deer bigger.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Timbercruiser - I'M WITH YOU!

Here in central NY, over 60 % of the 1 1/2 year old bucks are 6 point or better. I will never understand or agree with how making them the primary target will ever be a good thing. Other than to the trophy hunter wanting a goverment mandated trophy 60 class buck. Not much different than a BB to me.

Voluntary and education is the ONLY way.

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i brought this up because here in Florida, alot of our type II management area's (special quota draws) are going to "point restrictions". i think they are doing this in an attempt to improve the quality of our deer heard. for a long time, noone has went out of their way to come to Florida to hunt, and i think they are trying to change this. Florida does have nice deer, they are just few and far between. i for one, am embracing these point restriction laws. i don't agree on making it a blanket law for the entire state but i would like to see some area's go to this. my rationalization for this is...i don't make enough money to lease private land, hire an outfitter or hunt out of state for "trophy whitetail". so if the state can improve the "buck quality" in local area's, i'm all for it.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spread restrictions are being tested in several Texas counties. I think we could use them where I am hunting. Most places that have too many does, need more liberal doe limits though! That will help as much, or more than antler restrictions!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

im about fed up with POINT restrictions here...juniours and a few other hunters like military and disabled can take any buck with 3" spikes or better.....i gota count 4pts to a side that gota be an inch long or more!!! to me its a failure because of the hunters that can take "illegal" bucks do...and its not hard for a bunch of junours 16 or younger to get in the woods and find one....i think thats why its failing......im not against them getting more opprotunities.....but thats why its failing if you ask me......i think the first 5yrs or so should been EVERYONE and anyone...your found with anything less then a legal buck your in trouble.......then let the kids take smaller bucks after the plan works....i know when i was 13 if there were a bunch of nice 8-10pts running around and i already killed a small buck last year id be hunting for a bigger one........its a pain to judge and count too......i passed legal bucks every year now....and kick myself later when i find out.....and i eat buck tag soup......but im used to it....before there were alot less bucks and alot more does.....but we have herd reduction going on too....so the doe numbers are declining heavily.......we will see what happens......i just cant count quick enough......tomarrow starts flintlock season.....i got new binocs....im ready.....spread restrictions would be a pain....id probably stop looking for antlers! lol

Quick Reply: Spread restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.