Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Attracting deer for cams?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Attracting deer for cams?

Hey guys,
I am going to set up a trail cam on some property I own. It is illegal to hunt over bait, but I was curious what you would all recommend to just bait the deer into the cam, to try and see what kind of bucks are around.

Thanks in advance guys, and merry christmas!
Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attracting deer for cams?

you don't have to use bait. the best place i have found is scrapes or rubs. if it is too late in the season (past rut), find well used deer trails and angle the camera down the trail. keep in mind that if you have a cheaper trail camera with a slow shutter speed, you'll have to find a place where deer stop or angle down the trail as i already said. if you don't, all you will get is the hind quarters of the deer as they walk by.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Camo, I put the cam on a a trail, and also threw some corn around it, but I dont know if that will work.

Regards
Old 12-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to get an idea of what you have for deer on your property put corn out and set your camera up over the corn. Eventually every deer around your area should show up at the corn especially if you live where its cold and snow. Good luck
Old 12-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks buck.
At the moment I had cattle grazing and threw some mix of Corn, Oats, Barley, as that was what I was bfeeding my cattle.
I presume Mule Deer will eat this, as well as whitetails?

THanks again guys, and have a great Christmas!
Old 12-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

mock scrapes, buck/doe urine.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 AM

Are you trying to get a picture of Santa and his deer? I don't think they eat corn, and you better point it toword the sky...

Seriously, though, corn and apples would be a good bet...

But since you can't hunt a baited area, I would not do this if you are trying to see where the deer are at, because they won't be there when you're not baiting, though you could manipulate their patterns temporarily...

But if you are just wanting to know what's out there, than yah, baiting the cam is cool...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Spike

I usually spread about 3-4 gallons of cornabout 15-18 feet in front of the camera. Works like a charm.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 PM

pour out the corn by the bag, if theirs deer in the area you'll get his pic. but the deer movement during the day will below in that area.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

there are some nice bucks in that picture

Quick Reply: Attracting deer for cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.