Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stew meat..worth the work?

Old 12-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Default stew meat..worth the work?

do u guys go through the extra effort in getting al lthe hamburger and stew meat off ur deer when butchering..ive always hated to waste any meat..but sometimes it seems not worth the extra edffort when u know u can just get more deer..and what about taking the fat off of the meat..how extensively do u guys work at taking al lthe excess fat off of the meat
Old 12-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stew meat..worth the work?

i think its worth it because there may be certain recipes that call for the meat cut like that
Old 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM

sometimes I do. Like at the begining of the season I will go all gung ho on a deer but as the season comes to an end I don't do it as much. Mystery meat is what we call it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah! Stew venison meat in the crock pot with seasoning carrots, patatoes, celery and green beens cooked for about 4hrs!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

The "stew meat" sliced thin is good if you are into things like stir fry or fajitas as well. Also, if you ever try Cajun style "green sausage," you will never let another scrap of deer meat go to waste.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it is tedious work but I usually try and get as much meat as possible except for an area that has been shot with lots of blood. Most of the trim I use for ground meat except for the large parts is use for stew with some good cooking.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Makes some of the best stew and vegetable "beef" soup there is. I tend to cut up chunks of some of the better meat though, for stew meat. Usually have the other bits ground up. I cut stew chunks fairly small, about an inch square or less.

According to the experts, it's advisable to remove all the fat from venison and remove it right away. When venison is frozen with the fat intact iteventually becomes rancid andtaints the flavor of themeat. I've never let any fat remain on venison.

Some folks I know, like to have a bit of beef tallow added to their ground venison, but I've never cared for that either. Ifyou want a "moister" ground meat for burgers,than venison is by itself, just mix it with some cheap ol' fatty hamburger before you freeze the patties or packages of ground venison. For meatballs or meatloaf, I also mix in some ground pork or pork sausage, as well as some ground beef....but it's still predominately ground venison in the finished product.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Check around and there might be a meat smoker that takes venison and makes bologna, salami, bacon, jerky, snack sticks etc. out of any deer meat. I took some of my NY buck to a guy in Morrisoville Ny and his stuff is really great. Glass of wine and some crackers and a slice of deer bologna....that’s life man.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Check around and there might be a meat smoker that takes venison and makes bologna, salami, bacon, jerky, snack sticks etc. out of any deer meat. I took some of my NY buck to a guy in Morrisoville Ny and his stuff is really great. Glass of wine and some crackers and a slice of deer bologna....that’s life man.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 PM

So tell me guys what parts of the deer do you actually eat. I know about the back legs front legs backstraps and tenderloins. Butits alot of work for just that little of meat. I hear some eat the neck and some eat rib meat.

Quick Reply: stew meat..worth the work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.