Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stew meat..worth the work?

Old 12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: stew meat..worth the work?

I do my own butchering and cut all the hind quarters into boned steak. I do the same for the back straps and tenderloins. The front shoulders are good for some steaks and the rest stew meat and grind as well as the neck. The smoker guy can take any meat or grind and turn it into all the stuff I said in the other post. It is wonderful
Old 12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Surely you guys jest! Neck roast, and other deer meat, other than tenders, and straps, are well worth the effort! If I'm going to invest in killing it, I'm gonna eat it! Had a great neck roast stew for lunch today at work! Buuuuurrrrpppp!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Surely you guys jest! Neck roast, and other deer meat, other than tenders, and straps, are well worth the effort! If I'm going to invest in killing it, I'm gonna eat it! Had a great neck roast stew for lunch today at work! Buuuuurrrrpppp!
I eat it all JMM....and Buuuurrrrppp.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:09 PM

Yummo! This thread is making me hungry for deer.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 PM

hey salt flat..the neck is usually pretty goodfor roasts just.try to get some a the fat from between the layers..its sorda gritty..but i tried to do the ribs last year and they turned out horriblee...does ne body have a good strategy fot a good rib roast or sumthin.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher my own deer and utilize as much meat as possible. You gotta do that animal justice if you are going to takes its life. It may take a little longer but the end result if well worth it.

Ron
Old 12-22-2005, 10:03 PM

You know some of the best deer I ever had came off the sage flats in Texas.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM

Getting back to how to easily do stew meat. You can get a chilli or chum plate for your gring and just run it through your ginder as usual.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to get as much meat as I can off the deer so I am not wasting a lot. As for stew meat. I really don't use a particular area of the deer for meat. I decide as I go along whether I will cut for steaks, jerky, burger sausage or stew. I really don't like deer fat. I usually cut as much as I can off the deer.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Except for the skeleton and skull, whatever I don't keep for eating goes to my two Black Labs. They're eating machine and it saves me a little on dog food . Happiness is a young dog with half of a deer's leg in it's mouth enjoying a good chawin', joy is two of them in the same predicament.

Quick Reply: stew meat..worth the work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.