Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

40 acres baby!

Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 40 acres baby!

You'll be alright. dont bring the marching band, but you should have no trouble. I had a friend in the same situation only he had about 20ac. and ran a generator at night..........cut it off in the morning, walked the 12-15 acres to his stand and usually saw deer.
Good Luck, I hope you get the land.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM

How are you going to get to the land to view it in the first place if it is landlocked? You should definitely contact an attorney and get ALL of the information needed. You will have to have an easement through someone elses property to get to yours. Sometimes you can purchase the easement for a fair price and then you will have the cost of putting ina road to the property, and getting it surveyed. So, maybe it isn't really all that cheap when you look at the big picture.

Be sure to speak to an attorney and get the easement in writing BEFORE purchasing a piece of property that you may not be able to legally set foot on. Good Luck, and let us know what you find out.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with DD. The access can be a real pain in the butt to get. You will need a lawyer and get a warranty deed easement. Sign a contract with closing only after securing deeded access, no word of mouth go-ahead type of agreement. It may take a year or more if there are problems and then you will have to get surveys, title searchesand possibly assessments of the lands you are crossing if the land has not been completely paid for or if there are leins against it.Then the building of the road expense. I wouldn't get too excited yet, you could have more in the added expenses than the cost of the land.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM

alright, well i called the landowner who's property surrounds the one im looking at. He says hes not willing to give me any type of permission to cross weather it be in writing or by mouth. always says the land is a a pice of $hit anyways, all bog with no chance of getting a deer stand up. So im not sure, i cant go out to check out the land if i cant get to it. whats this i hear about them having to give you permission to cross though?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bog sounds pretty good to me in terms of hunting. Ducks anyone?

Like I said in an earlier post, I belive that you are legally entitled to an easement, but a jerk landowner could make it difficult. His argument about the usefulness of the land for hunting sounds like pure bull. His ultimate motivation, other than being a jerk, could be that by surrounding the land, he is able to use it himself without paying the taxes. It could be a major headache, but at that price it might be worth it pursuing. Talk to a lawyer!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 PM

It sounds like from some of the posts that some states allow trespassing on someones land to get to a landlocked land. Hum? I can only speak about experiance my hunting buddy had with his land here. He was landlocked and the surrounding landowner refused to give permission. He went to court and was awarded an easement to his property by the judge but for what the judge deemed a fair settlementto the surrounding landowner of $10,000.00 Once settled the easement went on the county title books.If you can get it for free great, but better check the laws otherwise.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Best if you could obtaindeeded access. The current land owner (neighbor) might be fine, but if he sells, you don't know who may come in behind him, adeveloper, mean dude, peta member, etc.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 AM

I'd keep looking.. why put up with the headache the surrounding owner could do to you for just 40 acres. Also, I was looking at 40+ acres in Centerville, TX for excellent pricing, somewhere around $19000 I believe. Anyway made plans to see it, drove all the way out there and saw some beautiful land, perfect for hunting. Had some good tracks on it etc.. Well I decided to pass on it because of some concerns I had with the areaand come to find out the entire land area floods 80% of the winter (rifle hunting season), great for duck hunting, bad for deer.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I paid $1300 an acre for good wooded hunting land in southern Illinois. Most would consider that a good price. If you pay 17K for 40 acres, and then had to shell out 10K to establish your legal rights, you are stilllooking atonly 675an acre. That's dirt cheap where I'm at. But then again, I don't know about real estate in your area. Maybe with some legwork, you can find other 17K deals. I wish you well.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you pass on this land please pm me I will pay you a finders fee of 10% if I purchase it.The neighbor is not as dumb as you think ,if I were him I'd be hunting that land for free.Let me know how it turns out.

"North Texan" might be able to help you out on this.