Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas? >

Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas?

Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas?

Well, my buddy Owen invited me to go hunt with him and his dad at their huntin club in western Alabama, we'll be leavin Christmas day, so it's probably the greatest Christmas gift I've ever gotten. I'll be huntin and fishin for three days.

I'm settin my sights on takin a nice doe, a good management deer. However, I would of course love for my first deer to be a buck. But if I do see a buck, I don't want to take one too young or small. What do y'all suggest as far as knowing what size buck to shoot? I know mature bucks' bellies tend to sag, and their nose looks shorter, but how else should I determine if a buck is too young to take?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas?

Good luck J.B.G. ...the deer should be getting close to rut in Alabama so you may stand a chance to get that buck !

dd
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM

good luck and hope you kill a state record, theres been two record buck already killed this yearhere insouth east al.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Happy times and the best of luck to you!
Remember SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:01 PM

thanks yall!
one on one-i have the paper article about that huge buck possible state record. its a shame they stole his pics and claimed it was from illinois shot in fenced area.

rebel hog, my mom seriously contemplated makin me wear nuthin but orange! so i'll be plenty safe, plus ive taken the hunter ed course.

when does the rut typicallystart and end around here?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was you, and had never killed a deer, I would take the first one that gave me a good shot. If you are looking for a "trophy"....that is a matter of opinion, but if the rack is wider than his ears....he's a pretty good one in my book. Don't get too worked up on having to take a trophy, enjoy the hunt and good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM

well Johnny Good luck and have a good time and if you shoot a deer dont forget to report back to us with pics.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being you haven't gotten a deer yet. I wouldn't worry about trophy hunting. If a spike or a fork walks out I would take him. My first deer was a frok buck. One of my best hunting memories. Goo luck and hope the big one walks out.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey!!
good luck on your hunt!
i took my first deer at a friends land down south. it was a management doe. it doesnt matter what kinda deer it is, ur gonna shake like a dog crappn razerblades! i couldnt stop! it will be the greatest hunt you have ever gone on, promice! good luck and post some pics!
Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

ur gonna shake like a dog crappn razerblades!
I don't know why but that made me cry! Thanks

Quick Reply: Guess What I'm Gettin for Christmas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.