Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wild and Wacky stories

Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Wild and Wacky stories

hello,

I have only been hunting for 2 years so I don't have any wacky stories about how i shot my deer butI was just curios on some of yours so lets here um.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Wild and Wacky stories

This happened just this year while hunting. I was hunting one morning and had a nice doe run in and look behind her. Well I let her walk thinking a buck was following her. No buck came though. So while on my way out with my buddy he spots blood where the doe went by me earlier that morning. Well we picked up the leaf to examine the blood a little better. But once we got it close to our nose we could definetly tell where the blood came from. She was in her cycle and wow did that stink. Thats the first time in my hunting experience that blood was found when a doe was on her cycle. Another first this year was I was turkey hunting here in Indiana opening day. I began with the usual soft calling. I then heard a hen yelping on a hill side a few hundred yards away. So I thought lets fire up this hen. So the battle began and next thing I know I have a hen flying right down on me. Knocked my hat off and landed right next to me. She didnt even spook and walked in the field in front of me. then here comes the gobbles and 4 toms walked in and the rest is history for one of them.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

nothing to wacky so far...i had a guy walk up to my stand when i was in it, this was on private property and i know he didtn have permission to hunt. i told him to leave, he walks over a hill like hes leaving, then i heard a gun shoot. I didnt get out to go see if had shoot something, but that really chapped my ass because it scared anything around me away.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Well here's my Wacky. I have never killed a wall hanger before this year but on Nov 14, 2005 I was in my box stand and a ten pointer walked out in front of it, 62 yards away and stood broadside. I shot him, double lung and he was my first. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Now here's the wacky. Almost exactly one month later, Dec.10, 2005, I was in the same stand and another big buck came out in front and stopped broadside in the exact same spot the ten pointer stood and I shot him. He was a very nice six pointer with a inside spread of 15 and a quarter inches. Very tall rack and tines. Folks that have seen it say it's the biggest six pointer they have ever seen.No wall hangers in 40 plus years of hunting until this year and I now have two. How's that for Whacky? LOL
BuddyBo
Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well 1 year i was down hunting southern eastern shore area called pocomoke,. i got turned around in the woods and was lost for hours. I finally found my way to the edge of the woods and i was in someones backyard. Being lost i unloaded my gun and started to walk around to the front of the house. it was a community and i had no idea where i was. i started to go up to this 1 lady who was doing yardwork to ask directions and she took off running. I didn't think nothing of it, so i kept walking and spotted someone else in there yard. I started walking up to them yelling excuse me, i'm lost can you help me. They also walked very fast and got into their home. I decided instead of going back into the woods i would just try to get out of the community by following the road. I got to a main road. main road for that area that is and flagged down a car. It was a guy and he stopped i told him what happened and told him the road where my truck was parked he said" he never heard of that road and pulled off. i was really getting worried by now. Abot 10 minutes later another vehicle came by and it was DNR. I was never so happy to see a game warden in my life. I told him what happened and where i was parked and he laughed and gave me a ride back to my truck. He said "It's a good thing you got lost on this side of the road. Cause if i would have gotten lost on the other side, we would have never of found you. The other side went all the way to Virginia" after that i just spent the rest of the day in my truck sleeping waiting on my cousin to come out of the woods.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Just a few weeks ago i was climbing into my bowstand and i heard something running behind me. I thought wow ive only been here 2 minutes and already im gonna see some deer. But then i heard something that didnt sound like deer noise, sounded more like... jingling? Being close to xmas first thing i thought was Santa , then i saw 'em... 2 german shephards running through the woods about 30 yards away. I was on private property and the dogs were all alone, no owner. So i whistled to em and they stopped on the spot and just looked at me for about 2 minutes then just laid down in my food plot and started to fall asleep. I climbed into my stand and called my dad and he said i should try and get the phone # off of the tags, so i climbed down and took a few steps toward em and the bigger one charged me and barked, very loudly. I'll admit that i'm a little bit afraid of big dogs, so i hurried back up my tree. I didnt want to take any chances. The dog went back to laying down and i called my dad back and he called animal control. They came and got the dogs and saved the day!! im sure they were lost pets because they would sit when i told em to and they had collars on, but better safe than sorry right?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess for me was about 4 years ago during rifle season. I was sitting in my deer stand and all of a sudden I could hear something plowing through the woods at full speed, I got my gun ready and waiting for the "deer" to come my way. As the noise got louder I thought to myself "I should be able to see this thing by now, what gives?" Well out of the brush came a very pretty young fox. He came about 5 yds from my stand, so I stood up and waved at him, trying to not make any noise. He saw me immediately and ran like a bat out of hell. I sat back down and 30 minutes the exact same thing happened. I stood up again and waved, this timehe kinda trotted away, stopping at one point to look back at me, then made his way back in the woods. Well some time later as I was getting ready to call it a morning, I happened to glance at a deadfall about 30 yds away and could see something behind it moving down the deadfall. It was this same little fox again sneaking behind it, he stuck his head out at one end and was looking at me. I couldn't believe this little guy had stalked his way within 30 yds of me and I never even saw him. His curiousity got the better of him and he had to come back and see what was in the tree. I just wish I had a camera to get a pic of him.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Spike

THIS IS A NO SH*****!!!!!
I was sitting on a milk crate 3 rows into the corn, woods were 5 yds in front of me and I could see into another cornfield about 20 yds away and down an opening to my right. Hour and a half before dark I had a doe walk within 4yds but was one step short of getting pounded(I was at full draw for a minute!). She walked off and took 2 does and a little basket rack buck with her. Good start to the evening! About an hour later I see this barrel stilts coming from the other cornfield. He walks behind a big tree so I standup and draw. He never comes out from behind the tree. By this time I'm shaking from holding the bow back so long. I let off and sit back on the crate. As soon as butt hits, antlers appear out of the trees in front of me at 5yds. With my feet still under me I stand up and draw again and shoot between 2 stalks of corn at 3yds. With the shot the buck rears up and plants his foot 2ft from foot and takes off the other way. I wait for the noise to stop go to see where he was when I shot. All I found was 2 tufts of hair. When I shot I felt good because I heard the arrow hit. I found my arrow in a tree 10yds away with no blood on it. At this time I was pissed, I about picked up walked out of the woods. I had 15 mins of shooting light left so I sat back down. Not 10mins later I looked to my right over the corn and saw antlers coming at me. I was waiting for the deer to come in front of me when he turned left and headed into the corn. I turned and shot down the corn row at about 12 yds as soon as his shoulder came into view. I found my arrow right away with blood from end-to-end. He didn't go 40yds! While checking in the deer the next morning and telling the story, I found where the first arrow left two 6 inch cuts down the middle of the back where I missed. This was the same deer!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM

It was two years ago, last weekend of the spring turkey season. I had 3 big gobblers staring at my decoy hangin up at about 100 yards. They wouldn’t respond to nothing! Just stood there laughing at me and my decoy while I was getting eatin’ alive by the darn mosquito’s. I was set back in the woods about 10 yards and the decoy and the tom’s were in the field. They slowly moved off across the hedgerow into the adjacent field. As soon as they disappeared I took off running along the joining woods and snuck my way through the perpendicular hedge row to the one the turkeys were headed through. I couldn’t of timed it better. Just as they were breaking out into the 2’ tall grass field I was popping through at the corner waiting for them. They were in a slight depression so I was able to crawl within 40 yards of them, as I popped up I seen two of them and picked one out quickly before they spotted me and BANG! The other one flew off and as I approach to collect my trophy what do I find but two dead 22lbs Tom’s both with 10inch beards flopping on the ground. I was extatic! The other bird was lined up directly behind the other and I didn’t even see him.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first deer I ever took with a bow had a wierd story behind it. I was sitting on the ground with my dad and a doe and button buck came out in front of us. The button buck came to about 10 yards and stopped. When I drew back, something snapped in my release. When I got about half way drawn back the arrow flew off the string and without aiming lobbed into the field while hitting the button buck in the spine dropping him instantly.