Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer hunting, more luck or strategy >

deer hunting, more luck or strategy

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting, more luck or strategy

Old 12-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Default deer hunting, more luck or strategy

I believe its about 90% strategy but I have to share land (family) with hunters that think its all luck. So at anytime during the day the could come out and mess up my hunt. When they hunt, the talk, move around, walk around, shooting at birds or yotes and then when i try to tell them different they act like I don't know what I am talking about. Not a big deal to me, I've killed my limit in bucks every year for 3 years now. thoughts?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer hunting, more luck or strategy

There is always a certain amount of "luck" involved with hunting! Luck of weather. Luck of being able to be there when they are moving.
Good hunters make up their own luck though! Good scouting, playing the wind, and patience, will beat out "luck" 90% of the time!
The old saying of "I'd rather be lucky, than good," just doesn't hold up well when it comes to deer hunting! Card games, are games of "luck!"
In deer hunting, the more skill you use, the "luckier" you will be!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I sure am not a pro by any streach BUT I think its a mixture of both ....you plan your strategy THEN your lucky if it works ;&gt) ...but the greatest college football coach of ALL timePaul "Bear" Bryant said "The definition of luck is when preperation meets opportunity"

dd
Old 12-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skill and patience will make you lucky. However you can do every thing right and luck can still work against you. How many times do we see the Novice end up with the big one? I have hunted for many years and have a lot of expierence but now and then a new hunter gets lucky and ends up in the right spot at the right time so it sure a mixture of both.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well luck sure plays a big part ...about 6 or 7 years ago a guy from Georgia was visiting some family in south Alabama ...they decided to go deer hunting and his cousin took him to a ladder stand and loaned him a 12 gage shot gun ...two hours later he had shot what was at the time the new Alabama state record ...now THATS luck !

dd
Old 12-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

once again i believe the Doc is right, it's 50/50. we spend lots of time in the woods preseason scouting for the best spot we can find. setting up on scrapes/rubs and when the time comes, using scents and calls. HOWEVER, in all reallity we can not make the deer move. i believe alot of it is being at the right spot at the right time.

by preseason scouting we increase our "chances" of seeing deer and harvesting deer but what exactly are "chances" luck?

you make the call.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 AM

IMHO, any individual deer taken is 80% luck. However, over the years as you continue to hunt and take more deer, it's skill that makes the difference whether you consistently are able to score one.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No matter how much "good" strategy you put to use, you are never ensured a good buck. Sometimes people dont know what the heck they are doing and shoot record book deer. That being said there is always a lot of luck involved. But, if you really look at it, why is it that certain people shoot big deer every year. The real strategy is giving yourself the best opportunity to get lucky. I would say 60% strategy and 40% luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Do all the skills you have learned over the years just before the Rut and try to out smart them during the Rut, because after the Rut they can out smart you. Once the season gets going strong with so many hunters in the woods, they go nocturnal. Your luck then will mostly be just before sunrise and just before sun set.
For the youngerhunters that are getting started into hunting and want to learn, associate with as many Archers as you canand ask alot of questions. Them boys have to bring them in to 30-40yds and most know how to do it.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I'd slip a Mickie in there breakfast before you go out. as far as luck or strategy I'd rather be lucky than good

Quick Reply: deer hunting, more luck or strategy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.