Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old to hunt?

Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Default RE: How old to hunt?

ORIGINAL: BJR224

Ok battlebuck...first of all I am no city slicker, I am from the country as i'm sure a lot of us here are, but your stereotyping attitude coupled with your inability to spell and use proper English are besides the point. Who are you toput yourself above the law and deem it appropriate for you and your children to break that law just because you own your own property. Are you insane, if everyone in the hunting community had your attitude it would almost push me to become an anti, which is near immpossible, or so I thought. I own my own property and I am certainly not going to let my children hunt without a license, nor did my Dad allow it with me. You are setting a bad example for your children as well as others around you.Do you realize the ramifications you would face if you were caught. Bring your children along on yourhunts and introduce them to the sport like every other lawabiding citizen does. I had no problemwaitingto enter the field with a gun until I was 12, and the learning experience I got from spending the time in the woods with my Dad up to that point was one inwhich I will never forget.

I really doubt you own your own land cause if you did you would not object to a father letting his daughter shoot a deer without a liscense.
Whenshe bragged to our neighbors about shooting it,They all said congraulations to her. This is how we country folks act.We take pride in our neighbors and talk and share things with them.And we will be the first ones to disagree if we think it isn't right.We speak our minds to each others and we are not twofaced either. We don't correct each other about our spelling or our grammar. We allways offer help to each other when thefarming season comes around and that is quite often.Our life is bigger than thegame commisions rule book. We are above the game lawswhen it comes to our own children. They don't tell us how old they can be to hunt.We decide when they are old enough.The only paper that I respect is the constitution of america. Everything else is garbage from the government.If you was here and told me what you just wrote.You would be picking yourself up off the ground and running to the police and reporting this.Choose your words carefull when your not from this part of the country. I still say your a city slicker.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Okie - you called out my statement that experts know more about kids than do the parents - and I'm stillwaiting to hear why. You purport to know that the experts are actually idiots. Believe me, you have no reasonablebasis to make such claims. If you know something that I don't, please fill me in.

I have some very close personal friends who are or have been educators for a long time, and they all say the same thing: the Parents are the problem, not the kids. Parents are generally terribly irresponsible when it comes to raising their own children. The problem is that they can't see it. Now, I'm not saying that you, or anyone else here is a bad parent, but I'm simply saying that the vast majority of kids out there aren't getting the guidance that they need. This isn't just an "inner city" problem either. It's everywhere, but predominantly in poor, rural areas and city schools.

Parents are blinded by their own love and affection for their children. They routinelygrossly overestimate their childrens' intelligence, decision-making skills, level of responsibility, and character. Ask any educator, and they'll all tell you the same thing.

Experts are called "experts" for a reason.

This is why I am reluctant to support any law which leaves the decision-making up to the parents, especially when others' lives will be put at risk.
Where to begin...

You're waiting for me to explain why parents know more about their own kids than experts do? My God, do you actually think about what you write, or is it more comparable to projectile vomiting? Just open up and whatever flies out ends up on the page?

Of course most (liberal) educators are going to slam the parents. It's called ensuring their own job security and justifying whatever ridiculous methods (outcome based education) they want to use in the classroom. Not to mention narcissistic, condescending, and self-righteous. Please note that I don't group all teachers in this category. Just a disturbingly increasing number of them. I could go on, but that's enough for starters. I will say, though, that this problem is due in large part to school administrators taking disciplinary control of the classroom away from the teachers.

As for your blanket statement about parents being blinded to their children's abilities, well just look at the source! The educator! I'm guessing that these educators have no children of their own, because as parents they would obviously be unqualified by their own admission.

And last but not least, "experts are called experts for a reason".

I rest my case.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I'm saying is - if you can't see the problem, you might be the problem.

But then again, it's probably just the liberal machine, overhyping the laxity of the American parent to ensure their own job security. Those educators with Ph.D.'s and 35 years in the field? They're just more liberal whackos, feeding the bureaucratic beast, trying to take the bible out of the classroom and turn the American student into an aetheist homosexual. Surely the single-white mother of three, with her G.E.D. and her access card, is far better situated to make the important decisions with regard to her own children - besides, she's been around those kids since they were born, right? Let's let her decide.

BAM <>
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 PM

All I'm saying is - if you can't see the problem, you might be the problem.

BAM <>
Hey, that's catchy...thank God you weren't working for the Kerry campaign in '04. But seriously. I'll give you credit for being consistent. I guess once a person accepts the fact that his intellect is superior to the great unwashed, it would be a mortal sin to keep his nose out of their affairs. There may be exceptions to the rule, as you pointed out with your example. I do find it curious that you felt it necessary to get so specific. Have these educators that you love to use as reference material found that this is a race/ethnicity question? The mom that you mention may or may not be capable of making informed decisions on this subject, but I'll give her or any other parent the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Seems a lot more reasonable than falling back on stereotypes, doesn't it?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

But then again, it's probably just the liberal machine, overhyping the laxity of the American parent to ensure their own job security. Those educators with Ph.D.'s and 35 years in the field? They're just more liberal whackos, feeding the bureaucratic beast, trying to take the bible out of the classroom and turn the American student into an aetheist homosexual.
Yep , glad you understand.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 PM

Here in ohio if you can pass the test then you can go no matter the age. I was nine when I could pass but my dad was taking me out at the age of seven, but would not carry or shoot. I think it is up to the parent to judge if his kid should carry a gun or not as long as the law permits. My dad would also not let me hunt by myself until i was eighteen, not sure if that was his or moms law. I understand what some people think about hunting restrictions and that they want to see their child shoot a deer,im just glad i dont have those laws. But on the other hand I think it would be hard to school someone on which laws are ok to break and which are not. It would be a real bummer for a nine year old in a state with laws to shoot a B&C buck and then be told by his dad you can't get this scored or tell anyone cause we broke the law just keep this once in a lifetime deer to yourself child. I also feel that if a kid waits to long to hunt they may never get interested in it.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am not sure that there is a speciffic age when a young person should be allowed to hunt on their own or with others without adult supervision.... I have hunted with my son for over 20 years and I think he was about 17 before I allowed him to take a rifle into the woods with out me. I think if your going to allow a young man or woman to handle a deadly weapon on their own in the woodsyou as a parent have to be convinced theycan handle the awsomeresponsability that comes alongwith it and obviously some reach that stage earlier then others.I think as a parent you would have to be sure that he or she had learned and retained the things that you and the Hunters Education coursehad taught them about safety ...I am not sure that to begin with that you shouldonly allow them to carry a shotgun for small game hunting ..something that does not shoot that far ...and work their way into a rilfe ... JMHO.

dd
Old 12-09-2005, 08:11 AM

Oh, is that a threat battlebuck. Sorry you can't handle some constructive criticism. I'll will certainly be more carefull about the words I choose. Baahh!And I gaurantee it would be you running back tomama. Anyway, I really have nothing more to say toyou, I believe I have made my point. You can raise your kids however you choose, and whenyou have to post bail for them at age 20beacuse they robbed the local mini mart and justify it by saying, "Well Daddy said we are above the law andwe make our own decisons and rules, we don't need the gov't telling us what to do." Don't comecrying back to me. Beleive me, I don't agree witha lot ofwhat the gov't does, butif it's between living in this great country and abiding by American lawor running through the streets of Somoliaand eating rice everyday, then...wellI think I'll take...what isAmerican Law for$800 Alex!

I can see this topic has rasied many issuesand it is interesting to see how differently and some similar views we have from person to person and also location to location. Gotta loveAmerica! Oh and Happy Hunting, cuz thats really what its all about. All this political gander is making me noshes.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buwahahahahaha hahahahaha !
I suppose your all for government taking care of your @ss too.
Puhhhleeeeease !
Your experts go on and on about how to raise a child, like time outs
Buwahahah, time out, buwahahahaha. Oh I cant stop laughing.
or reasoning with a child, puhlease , you cant reason with a child, and I dontwant too. Back in the day you were scared of your parents, now experts have us fearing our children. screw that. My kids might not like me but they will fear me, and thats the bottom line ya candy @ss rudy poo.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100% pilot! Let's let the an elected official or "expert" determine how we raise our kids! That's a great idea! By the way........how is it working so far?

If we do not intriduce hunting to youngsters 6-12 years old, we are doing an injustice to the future of hunting. Creating obstacles and law is not the answer.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:23 AM

battlebuck: "Our life is bigger than thegame commisions rule book. We are above the game lawswhen it comes to our own children. They don't tell us how old they can be to hunt.We decide when they are old enough.The only paper that I respect is the constitution of america. Everything else is garbage from the government."

You love contradicting yourself don't you?

Quick Reply: How old to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.