Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old to hunt?

Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Default RE: How old to hunt?

Couldn't have said it better Hank.... Dang I didn't know bragging on my little fellow would cause such a stir....Just remember parents those little ones are like sponges they soak up whatever the see and hear.... good or bad...right or wrong...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I own my own hunting land and was born and raised on the farm which I still own. That said, you teach your kids to obey the law regardless of who owns the land. Waiting until you are legal age to hunt just sweetens the pot and teaches patients and restraint. If you teach your kids that some laws are not to be obeyed you are asking for trouble down the road. None of us like all of the laws but they are there for a reason. Most of the reason is that people can't be trusted to the honor system therefore laws are passed to put teeth in regulations. If the honor system worked then most laws would not be needed. Its easy to see here that many think its ok to say screw the laws, they are made for other people. If people come on your posted land and shoot deer, you would raise hell and think that they should obey your law. well it works both directions. Those of us who own the land do not own the animals, they belong to all the people of the state. Some kids like me started driving on the farm when we were big enough to see over the dash. That does not mean we should have been out on the hiway driving. there are legal ages for most everything and for good reason judgement comes partly with age and expierience. 12 may not be a perfect age but I think we should have the age limit and thats a good starting point. I am all for youngsters going along with their parents and starting young in this respect but if the legal age in your state is 12 or whatever, you are doing your kids no favor by teaching them to ignore the regulations. Like it or not Regulations are part of hunting and part of life.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:21 PM

With a few obvious exceptions, I don't think anyone is promoting the idea of ignoring existing minimum age requirements. The law is the law. Period. That being said, some laws are formulated and passed to address a specific problem. Note that I said "address", not "correct". I've noticed more and more that people tend to throw legislation at an issue and then wash their hands of it. Who cares if it solves the problem, their conscience is clear! Age requirements are a naive, simplistic approach. Not saying that I have right answer, but I'm glad that this discussion is taking place.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: battle buck

A hunters safety course is a joke.8hr class.The real learning comes from the parents.

And this parent is teaching them to break the law. There's a good advocate for leaving it up to the parents to determine when the kids are ready.
That would be like allowing Michael Jackson to open a daycare
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Okie - you called out my statement that experts know more about kids than do the parents - and I'm stillwaiting to hear why. You purport to know that the experts are actually idiots. Believe me, you have no reasonablebasis to make such claims. If you know something that I don't, please fill me in.

I have some very close personal friends who are or have been educators for a long time, and they all say the same thing: the Parents are the problem, not the kids. Parents are generally terribly irresponsible when it comes to raising their own children. The problem is that they can't see it. Now, I'm not saying that you, or anyone else here is a bad parent, but I'm simply saying that the vast majority of kids out there aren't getting the guidance that they need. This isn't just an "inner city" problem either. It's everywhere, but predominantly in poor, rural areas and city schools.

Parents are blinded by their own love and affection for their children. They routinelygrossly overestimate their childrens' intelligence, decision-making skills, level of responsibility, and character. Ask any educator, and they'll all tell you the same thing.

Experts are called "experts" for a reason.

This is why I am reluctant to support any law which leaves the decision-making up to the parents, especially when others' lives will be put at risk.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Most kids around here are in the woods observing by 5-7 and hunting at least small game by 8-10 .

I recently took my grandkids(5,6,and 9) out with me to observe a deer hunt , their Daddy won't let them hunt or handle firearms until 8 . The 9 year old has a Rossi .22-.410 combo , the other two are limited to air rifles . All are proficient to one degree or another withtheir targetrecurves , and all have shot my150# crossbow and love it .
Old 12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not suggesting any new regulations. I just finished my 49th leagal deer season. That is even at my age, the 12 year old legal hunting age in my state has been in effect for this long at least. The hunter safty course will not educate a kid to be a hunter on its own and niether will parents who let or even suggest that their kids decide which laws and regulations should be paid attention to. We have legal voting age, legal drinking age, legal driiving age amoung many other reglations. They came about because time proved that there needed to be regulation to protect people from themselves and certainly from others who think making their own regulations is acceptable. I love to see kids on their first hunt and have taken many kids on their first hunting and fishing trips. Its good for them to wait their turn and to learn that doing things the right way is never wrong. Respect the regulations and respect your fellow hunters and their rights as well as those of non hunters who we need for allies.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Spike

If you wait too long to get them out in the woods hunting they won't want to go. Mine started small game at 6 and he went on his first deer hunt this year a 9 under my very close supervision.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Experts are called "experts" for a reason.
Buwahahahahaha hahahahaha !
I suppose your all for government taking care of your @ss too.
Puhhhleeeeease !
Your experts go on and on about how to raise a child, like time outs
Buwahahah, time out, buwahahahaha. Oh I cant stop laughing.
or reasoning with a child, puhlease , you cant reason with a child, and I dontwant too. Back in the day you were scared of your parents, now experts have us fearing our children. screw that. My kids might not like me but they will fear me, and thats the bottom line ya candy @ss rudy poo.
battle buck, dont sweat these self righteous pompous @sses.
You sound like a good father and I would do the same.
Good god, he tagged a deer with his tag, does it really matter to you that much who pulled the trigger. Puhlease !
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree 100 percent. If you want to break the law and teach your kids to do the same then you are on the right track. Just don't be suprised if they learn to break other laws from your example. My dad didn't believe in telling me something twice, He insisted that we stay within the law and that advise was well taken. I firmly believe in taking kids along on the hunt as young as they can pull their own wait but whatever the law in your state for legal big game hunting age should be followed. Teach your kids to do right even when no-one else it watching. Prepare them for life as it really is. I can't say it any clearer so I'll leave it at that. Ignore the regulations if you want just be ready and willing to pay the price if you choose not to do so. The jails are full of those who did it their way. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: How old to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.