Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

when is cold, too cold?

Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default when is cold, too cold?

I've been doing some looking at the wx in the west and mid west here in the early going at work. I went out yesterday and felt as though I was freezing. it was right around 10 degrees F with the wind chill. how cold is too cold for you guys to go out? I get out alot, and it was too much for me. I stillhunted out after seeing nothing after two plus hours on stand. we are suppose to get a good snow tomorrow, and I look forward to going out after that.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: when is cold, too cold?

cold it TO COLD when your nose runs down into your mustash andbeard and turns into snotcycles !

dd
Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

DD, that started to happen yesterday right before I got down. it was miserable.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looking at -4 to -5 below to start Saturday off. I've Ice fished sitting on a bucketno tent -28 sun up to sundown before.

When is it too cold,the deer don't get to go inside.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I've grown immune to the cold. It bothers me maybe for a day or two when the weather first makes a dramatic "winter change". After that your body adjust to it pretty quickly. On calm days without the wind it really doesn't bother me at all especially if there's a little sun out. When the wind is blowing on top of the single didgit or below temps, then it can get pretty brutal. Days like that I just shorten up my hunts by an hour in the morning and afternoon so I don't get stuck to a tree out there.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cold really doesnt bother me, its the damn wind!!! Id rather have -10 and no wind then +20 and a 25 mph wind. I gotta admit the thing that has helped me the most with the cold is the slip-on insulated boots and hand muffs from Icebreaker. With 1000 gram boots and those boots over em my feet never get cold anymore.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cold really doesnt bother me, its the damn wind!!!
Me too.I hate the burn you get with the wind.

Cold blah, I was BBQing pork chops in my shorts a couple days ago,think it was 18.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

With 1000 gram boots and those boots over em my feet never get cold anymore.
yeah that was the best investment I ever made. 1200 gram rubber boots and my feet stay pretty warm with just one pair of insulated socks. When it gets sub zero i may throw a couple of hand warmers in the toes.

Cold blah, I was BBQing pork chops in my shorts a couple days ago,think it was 18
LOL I was BBQing backstraps with shorts and a jacket ona couple nights ago when it was 15. My neighbors were standing at their window looking at me shaking their heads.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

cold never used to bother me when i was younger.......but yesterday with the wind it was about 0 degrees out....my sorry butt lasted an hour....walked the rest of my hunt....i used to laugh at dad when he was cold......now i am right with him........another thing that adds to it is 3 years ago i started driving deer from 10am-noon(depends on the day) till dark.....and the drive leader sent me on a looong mountainous drive and got me a little turned around...youll come to an oak tree turn left type of directions...so unless i TAG OUT he wont let me drive...im his designated hitter.....and im one of the few that can set up the shooters, and can actually hit and drop my deer....so i only have to sit an hour...2 hours at the VERY most when i hunt with the guys at the farm.....and i hunt with them alot.....that added to me not being able to sit long
Old 12-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its not so much thats the cold for me.I've hunted moose and deer at -30to -40.
At that temp Just stay in vehicle
Those animals are always on the move when its that cold.

Quick Reply: when is cold, too cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.