Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about binocluars

Old 12-06-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Question about binocluars

I'm need a new pair of binos. I currently use a cheap ($20) pair of Tascos that will fit in the palm of your hand. Problem is they are so small and cheapthat I can't find the game when I look through them. I plan to hunt antelope next fall so I need a decent pair. Been looking at Nikon Extreme 7x35 that sell for about $130. They have porro prisims and seem to be okay for my application. I don't want to spend more then $175. My question is does anyone carry a pair of 7x35's around their neck when bow hunting? If you do are they in the way when you shoot? Does the weight of 2 pounds bother you? It seems like I already carry everything but the kitchen sink up the the tree with me now, so I'm concerned about size and weight. When I hunt with a gun I can use the scope so binos are not as important then.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question about binocluars

Cabela's has the Burris 8x42, 29 oz., for $169.99 that should be a good binocular. Check the www.swfa.com site, look on the left for the different on line store departments and be sure to check the leftover section. E-mail Chris and ask for recomendations or visit the optic forum, they are a great group of professionals. The $175 budget limits the better optics, but they will give the best info. Let us know what you find out.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carroll,
I hope you get some good responses on the binos since i am interested in a good pair also.
Just one point though when reading this. Please be careful using your gun scope as binos. If i was on the other end and you were trying to figure out what i was you would have a loaded gun pointed at me. Just a thought. Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 AM

Just purchased this season a pair of Bushneel H2O's for $89 12x42 from bass pro and I have to say they are the best pair of binos I have ever purchased for the money. Great field of view, clear crisp viewing and with a bino system they are easily carried around. I love them and used them in NY this year in the snow and they were wet and didnt fog up and stay water tight!! Best investment into binos I ever made!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:54 AM

Danny, I never use the gun scope until I'm sureIsee the deer. I wouldn't want to have someone point a gun at me just to look through their scope. I hunt on only private land and always know where the 1-2 other people I hunt with are located at. We contact each other by radio before moving around.

I wish I could spend more then $175 but feel that is my upper limit, although I do have almost $100 in BassPro points to spend in addition to some cash. I may consider some of the roof prism models as they are a little smaller in size. GladI have the internet to do this type of research before spending my money.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Please be careful using your gun scope as binos. If i was on the other end and you were trying to figure out what i was you would have a loaded gun pointed at me. Just a thought. Thanks
Using a riflescope for spotting is stupid and unsafe.If I was to catch someone looking at me through their scope,we would be having a serious discussion afterward.
[align=right]
[/align]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about binoculars

cabelas is a nice place to shop for binos. make sure you understand all the little tid bits of terminology like fully coated, multi coated, fully multi coated etc. buy one of those bino harness that keep the taunt against your chest. they are really nice and are perfect for bow/gun hunters. Nikon, Burris and Bushnell are all great binos and have some that are in your price range. also look at cabelas pine ridge series. i have one of there shotgun scopes and it is nice. waterproof, shockproof and fog proof for under a 100 bucks. also check the bargain cave, they sometimes have good deals on optics as well. good luck shopping and hope i helped you out.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question about binoculars

The 7x35 Nikon Action bins were rated very highly in a recent binocular review done by the Cornell lab of Ornithology. In the inexpensive price class I believe they were #1 overall and offered the best image quality in their price range.

Under $175 your choices are limited. You tend to get better optical quality with an inexpensive porro glass in comparison to an inexpensive roof prism bin. This has to do with the cost of manufacturing each style. However, if you must have a roof prism then the Bushnell H20s aren't really that bad. The Bushnell Buckhorns are also pretty decent and are priced right at $100. Also keep an eye on the Carson bins in that price range. Their higher priced XM series is very highly regarded and I know they have a slightly less expensive roof prism model that may fall within that $175 price point you set for yourself.

If you do use that $100 in points and that $175 in cash then I would suggest trying to get the Nikon Monarchs. They are typically priced around $280 in the 8x42 configuration and I believe them to be one of the better binoculars optically and ergonomically under $500.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks carol.
Wasn't sure and some folks are new and don't realize the risks