Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How safe is public land to hunt on? >

How safe is public land to hunt on?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How safe is public land to hunt on?

Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Default How safe is public land to hunt on?

I have always hunted on private land. Since I can't shoot any does on the land I normally hunt on, I figured I'd try public land. Any tips on using public land?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How safe is public land to hunt on?

ORIGINAL: ALHunter74

I have always hunted on private land. Since I can't shoot any does on the land I normally hunt on, I figured I'd try public land. Any tips on using public land?

Try to go during the week when most hunters are at work!Week-ends are pretty hectic.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

my neighbor went down to the lake of the ozarks this year. when daylight came, he counted 17 other hunters all withing 120 yard of him, and when a doe came thru, everyone fired at the same time. He got down and walked out 7 miles to the nearest road and hitchhiked home. I'd invest in a bullet proof vest if I were going on public land. Just a thought. be safe and good luck.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good idea, be very aware of your surroundings
Old 12-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Luckily they can only hunt Wed and Sat with rifle or shotgun. The rest of the time is Bow only. Think I'll stick to the bow days!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 AM

i hunt public land all the time i hardly see a hunter were i hunt i go were no body else will go most huntersdon't want to go very far off the road to hunt
Old 12-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I too hunt public land. I don't have any private land to hunt. Opening day i will not take my children with me because of way to many hunters in the woods. After that though during the week i usually don't see anyone. on weekends a few more people but not as many as opening day.
Hunt where you can, eat what you kill and just be careful of the other people in the woods with guns.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

make sure you where orange and also go to the areas way back alot of the hunters will not go very deep in the woods.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM

im begining to think that with everybody saying the place to hunt public is far back in the woods where nobody goes...that the best place now is nearest the road. 'cause everyone thinks no ones gunna be back in the woods so now thats where everyone goes, so now nearest the road there is nobody. im not sure though, just a thought.

be safe, public land can be rather productive if hunted properly. my friend shot an 8 point on public land last year and this year a couple does.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not very

Quick Reply: How safe is public land to hunt on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.