Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Well, how'd everybody do?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well, how'd everybody do?

Well, my season has ended as of last nite. MY son and I put 5 deer in the freezer. That's up 2 from last year. MY son ended up getting his first deer, an 8 pt buck. I dropped 3 does and a button buck, which I thought was a doe, oops. Sorry if I offended anyone. But anyway, we got a freezer full of meat. We made Italian sausage, polish sausage, and summer sausage, along with all the steaks and ground venison, and canned 16 pints of stew meat. Hope all had a good year this year also!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well, how'd everybody do?

Congrats to you and your son on a great season. I've taken a doe and a 7 pointer with my bow and so far haven't pulled the trigger on the 270. Buck gun season is in for 1 more day and antlerless season comes in next week but I think I'm gonna pass on that and break out the muzzleloader for a buck or doe during muzzleloader season.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well so far we have had a super year in southern Tennessee and north Alabama. The rifleseason ends on the 4th for Tennessee for two weeks but Alabama is open until Jan 31 and the rut most likely won't kickin around here until mid Jan ... I hope we have half the success in Alabama that we have had in Tennesse this year !

dd

Old 12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

ive got my work cut out for me , i usually get 4-5 deer a year and so far i have only taken 1. but i still have a whole nother month mabey i can get 3 more.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Down here In N.B Canada, I shot a 6 point, my dad got an 8 point, my younger brother got a doe, and my grampy got a spike horn. We also shot a 975 pound moose. Pretty good season
Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

My 1st deer season in VA has been awful and tommorrow is the last day of the firearms deer season. In the early muzzleloader season, I missed a doe, my fault. I also saw a small buck, but couldn't get off a shot because of heavy brush and limbs in the way. During the 2 week gun season I havn't seen any deer at all and it's just amazing to me. They must have gone to night movement or they are picking up my scent. I tell my story to people at work and they say that the National Forest is a tough hunt when there are so many other private lands the deer frequent because of the planted crops. That makes sense, but I know the deer are where I'm hunting because the rubs are there and I've seen them.

I have put in a lot of time so far and the only thing I have to show for it is a better understanding of the terrain I'm hunting and some likely bedding areas, good trees for a climbing stand and an appreciation for the keen ability of the whitetail to survive. Of course it gets kind of old returning home with no deer and the wife lays in to me about it, but then I tell her that is why it's called hunting and not a sure thing.

What really gets me upset is the guys at work who have access to private land or know someone and they get a lot of deer with not much effort on their part. The only thing coming up now is the late muzzleloader season and that runs for 3 weeks, hopefully the deer will go back to their normal pre-season patterns of behavior.

One thing I'd like to do is buy some land and plant some food plots, but land is outrageously expensive these days and I'd only be able to get maybe 15 acres for about $35K. The first thing I'd do is post it too.[:-]
Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have put in a lot of time so far and the only thing I have to show for it is a better understanding of the terrain I'm hunting and some likely bedding areas, good trees for a climbing stand and an appreciation for the keen ability of the whitetail to survive. Of course it gets kind of old returning home with no deer and the wife lays in to me about it, but then I tell her that is why it's called hunting and not a sure thing.
I hunted for 7 years before I got my first deer and I've lost count since then. I started bowhunting about my 5th year and I learned more about deer in 2 years of bowhunting than the first 5 with a gun in my hand. Good luck to ya and if you don't connect on a deer this year there's always next year.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

i believe my season ends on the 20th. i got one buck this year. got skunked during bow, oh well. i kicked a doe up today but i was in shin deep water trappsin through a swamp. no way i could of gotten her out of there before i had to go to work. i'm gonna start carring my deer hanger and some rope. if they are hanging in these hard to reach areas i'll just process them in the woods. will be a first for me but hey, our forefathers did it to so i'll try it.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad to hear Mastevt! Good Job!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have gotten 1 doe so far. This is my first yr. to hunt east texas. We still have till the end of december to hunt. Maybe I can bag a buck since doe season is over.

Quick Reply: Well, how'd everybody do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.