Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Climbing Stand Safety Question >

Climbing Stand Safety Question

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climbing Stand Safety Question

Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Climbing Stand Safety Question

For all of those out there who use climbing stands--if you buy a good climbing stand and wear a safety harness, is there any possibility of getting hurt?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Stand Safety Question

is there any possibility of getting hurt?
If you use some common sense and follow the stand builders recommendations, there is very little possiblity of getting injured while using a climber. It isn't hard to attacha climber to the tree, and as soon as you climb aboard, and before you begin ascending the tree, simply attach your safety harness and move it up the tree as you go. After you use a climber a few times, it becomes very easy to set up quickly and quietly, and ascend a tree quickly and quietly, and safely. Climb only trees that are alive and large enough to support your extra weight! There's no more chance, maybe less chance, of an accident with a climber compared to a fixed postion stand!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:55 PM

Just remember to tie your top and bottom together. Bad deal if your bottom falls to the ground.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

thats a great point saltflat. if possible use a tree that the climber can dig into. Used the right way, a climber is a lot safer that a fixed position stand. ( no transfer from stand to ladder)
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Follow the directions and wear the harness and use common sense and you should be fine, Oh yeah do not climb any slick bark trees or shag bark Hickorys
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Use the Harness Type not the Waist Type and always wear it and keep it on, no exceptions!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes...while I was hunting with Strut from Missouri he noticed I did not have the correct knot in the rope that goes around the tree. Therefore I would of still fell about 3 feet before the harness could catch me resulting in serious injury.
Other than that I feel pretty safe up there.

PS I forget the name of the knot but it is the adjustable knot that takes out the slack
Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

PS I forget the name of the knot but it is the adjustable knot that takes out the slack
prussic knot??? maybe just a guess
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Dominant Buck

That's the knot. When it came it the package I was thinking ..why the fancy knot?? Now I know. It's a fancy slip knot to keep one from falling before the harness does it's job. I also must give a thumbs up. I exceed the weight specifications and still feel very safe and comfortable in that. No I'm not fat...just big boned.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

People were not built to climb trees so naturally, there is a chance of getting hurt. There is no amount of safety equipment that will 100% prevent an accident.

All you can do is buy good equipment that fits "you" and follow the instructions. Throw in a little big of common sense and you will greatly reduce the chances of getting hurt.

ORIGINAL: DeerManiac874

For all of those out there who use climbing stands--if you buy a good climbing stand and wear a safety harness, is there any possibility of getting hurt?

Quick Reply: Climbing Stand Safety Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.