Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer ethics

Old 11-25-2005, 05:15 PM

Default deer ethics

Situation 1, if you see a doe and a fawn and you really wanted to kill a deer, would you.

a. shoot the doe
b. shoot the fawn
c. don't shoot

sitation 2. if you really wanted to kill a deer and the only thing you've seen all morning was a spike and you have about 4 more hrs to go in the stand would you

a. shoot the spike
b. let him walk, hoping that he will be bigger next year
c. shoot him becase with all the crazies out there, he will be shot anyway.

Personnally I would not shoot either the doe or the fawn. And i would let the spike walk hoping that he will survive and be bigger next year.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer ethics

Not really sure what you mean when you say "really wanted to shoot a deer".
Most people here are either meat or trophy hunters, Situation 1 trophy hunters won't shoot, meat hunters will take the best shot presented (unless the fawn still has spots, that could change things).
Situation 2 trophy hunters again won't shoot, meat hunters will.
It also really depends on the area your in(some guys only get to see a deer from the stand once or not at all per season), and if you already have a few deer under your belt.
Personaly I will take any legal deer with my bow, any deer on a drive (hunting as a group), but I will be selective gun hunting alone.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:48 PM

I don't know if I would shoot the doe or the fawn. If you killed the doe, wouldn't he fawn be all alone and be more eaily attacked by yotes and maybe not be able to find shelter or food as easy?

Normally I would shoot a spike but I've been killing small deer for a while and just really want to start killing bigger ones. Before I shot my 8pt this year, I watched a little 4pt for about 3 hrs before he walked off.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

A) I have never been able to shoot a doe with a fawn. Nor have i ever shot a fawn. However in my area finding a single doe isn't that difficult if you just need to fill a tag, so that may not be applicable to other areas.

If the fawn wasn't a late drop- aka spots(assuming your talking gun season), then it already has the skills to be on its own. Yes, any young is aneasier target for prey but having Momma doesn't always help in this case, especially at this point in their relationship. So shooting the doe wouldn't mean your actually raising the chance of killing both deer.

B) No as well, I'd rather shoot a doe than immature buck.

However to each their own. I don't have a problem with either as long as the hunter is pleased with their harvest and puts it to good use that really is all that matters. After all it is a personal sport, so do what is right for you and forget about what others may or may not!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: utmstudent

Situation 1, if you see a doe and a fawn and you really wanted to kill a deer, would you.

a. shoot the doe
b. shoot the fawn
c. don't shoot

sitation 2. if you really wanted to kill a deer and the only thing you've seen all morning was a spike and you have about 4 more hrs to go in the stand would you

a. shoot the spike

Personnally I would not shoot either the doe or the fawn. And i would let the spike walk hoping that he will survive and be bigger next year.
Well I guess people who don't adhere to your personal reasons for hunting are "crazies"?

As I've said before, the only reason I personally feel is valid to shoot a deer is for meat. But I respect and could care less what trophy hunters do. I certainly wouldn't insult them.

As for what I'd do: I'd try to shoot both the doe and the fawn (assuming two antlerless permits to fill). I'd shoot the doe first because my experience is the fawn would hang around.

As for the spike - that's a slightly tougher call. I'd probably take it if it was getting close to the time I would end my hunting for the year - because as I said, I hunt for meat. Within that personal ethic, I would rather kill a doe than a spike because of my respect for throphy hunters. But I wouldn't let it walk unless I was pretty confident I'd get another chance.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:56 AM

on the buck...no way. Not even a question in my mind.

Doe with fawn at side...probably not.

I have a problem with people who rationalize a kill on the basis of food for the table while dressed in 500 bucks worth of new camo, every new trinket available in pockets, carry a gun and scope worth a grand, and drive to woods in a 4wd $40,000 rig....
Old 11-26-2005, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Wooddust

on the buck...no way. Not even a question in my mind.

Doe with fawn at side...probably not.

I have a problem with people who rationalize a kill on the basis of food for the table while dressed in 500 bucks worth of new camo, every new trinket available in pockets, carry a gun and scope worth a grand, and drive to woods in a 4wd $40,000 rig....
And trophy hunting is a better thing to do? Anyway, I can afford all the beef I want, but I like the taste of venison - therefore I like to shoot deer for the meat. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My ethics are dont shoot yearlings, dont shoot moma with yearlings, and dont shoot imature bucks.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot in both situations, providing the fawn didn't have spots. The fawn should be weaned by hunting season, so the only thing left is an emotional bond. The buck, heck if its legal, I'll take it. Really makes no difference to me. I shot my cow elk this year. She had a calf at her side, and that thing hung around forever before it finally went away with the herd. I didn't hurt anything by shooting the mamma.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

a. shoot the doe
b. shoot the fawn
c. don't shoot My choice

a. shoot the spike I mostly hunt for meat. Sorry I would shoot.
PS I hunt 2 states. In Florida I shoot the spike.Reason being; in Florida it may be the only deer you will see all year.In Missouri I let it walk.

Quick Reply: deer ethics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.