Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on ground

Old 11-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting on ground

If I'm hunting from the ground, I try to find a downed tree to back myself into. Seems to break up the outline. I've shot many does this way.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:26 AM

I do both, depends on where I'm hunting. If I go to my hundred acres, I sit in front of a hardwood. If I go to my 20 acres, I use my stand.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 AM

I have been hunting with a improvised ground blind all year. I've also had several deer bed within a few feet of me and not be alarmed. We usually use a large chopping blade to clear out a blind in the cedar trees which also makes a great cover scent. I do like elevated positions on hills for doing this. MV out!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i really like hunting on the ground. i got my first deer standing in between 3 trees. you get a better view from a treestand but i think groundhunting is more fun. that's what i'll be doing for late archery in ky.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing more exciting than squaring off with a whitetail on his level. I've shot 4 p&y bucks in the last 5 years, all off of the ground. I have a little fold up chair with a strap and set up next to large trees, in weed patches, rotting tree tops, etc. I can move and get set up much quieter than if I were packing a stand around. Also I like the fact that if I see a good deer out of range, all I have to do is grab my stool and I'm on his trail. The most important tool for us ground bound hunters is a good pair of brush clippers(pocket size), I won't leave home without mine. They are great for clearing small shooting lanes and clipping limbs and briars out of your way if you are stalking game.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting for 20+ years and have never been in a tree stand. Just pick you a good tree to set up against and be as still and quiet as possible. I would say 80% of the deer i have killed were under 25 yards away.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 AM

I shot a doe once at about 3-4 yards with buckshot. LOL, you could have put your entire fist through the hole! She went about three yards after the shot...about one yard off the ground and two yards backwards LOL.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a twist. Nobody has mentioned a vehicle. Not road hunting.Who needs a blind? I personally have never used a blind or tree stand.I have hadgood luck driving to a nice open spaces and backing my pickup into the trees on the edge. Waite long enough and it's amazing what can come out. I keep dry and warm. No wasted time having to setup anything. Obviously doesn't work for everyone.When there is no good place to park, then I take a walk. Locate a tree to lean up against and waite.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DOUBLE-LUNG

Here is a twist. Nobody has mentioned a vehicle. Not road hunting.Who needs a blind? I personally have never used a blind or tree stand.I have hadgood luck driving to a nice open spaces and backing my pickup into the trees on the edge. Waite long enough and it's amazing what can come out. I keep dry and warm. No wasted time having to setup anything. Obviously doesn't work for everyone.When there is no good place to park, then I take a walk. Locate a tree to lean up against and waite.
Against the law here.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Firehawk7309

ORIGINAL: DOUBLE-LUNG

Against the law here.

Same here.

Quick Reply: Hunting on ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.