Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help,

Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Need help,

Deer hunting is not my fortay! I am an avid upland hunter but got back into deer hunting for the past three years. I have found out where the deer are bedding down at night. I am sitting on the edge on a marsh like setting sitting up in a tree at about 17'. The deer are leaving about 30-45 minutes before shoot time and I have no idea where they are heading. Do deer get up and leave that early all the time or is it just bad timing on my part. I am ready to leave this setup and set up in some woods. Can anybody give me some advice?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help,

not knowing all of the other details of your place to hunt i.e. how much property you have, etc. I would take a blind guess and say if you could possibly move, try to get further from the bedding area. A good trail cam could help you by showing at what times the deer are leaving and in which direction they are going. From that you should be able to get further away and possibly be sitting in a tree that they are near at shooting light.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

look for tracks around the bedding area. they may give you a clue as to were they are going. if you can't find any tracks but you know for sure the deer are bedding there at night, get close and track them from a distance or set up on the ground to see if you can learn were they are going. it might take a couple times and positions to get the picture of how they are moving but thats hunting dude. and yes they get up that early to head out. some places were there is little pressure deer tend to relax and bed longer in my opinion. go to terraserver-usa.com and look up you grounds and write back to me. i love checking out land from the aerial shots and seeing how deer are moving. good luck and hope you get a slob
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

mossy gave great advice, forgot about a blind. i just bought one, the outhouse. not top of the line, perfect for the single gun hunter or two who don't mind hunting back to back. not really roomy for a bow hunter though.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 PM

Here is the area that I am hunting.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

i see the marsh but were and what are the boundaries your hunting, were are the deer (direction/distance from your stand.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

o.k i have to leave work now(ya dude, i know, cool job) but it looks to me that there is a lot of broken woods to the south(these pics are from 96' i believe so bear with me) they might be bedding 50 yards in from the edge. to the east there is a road that opens up into another field. i might check the woods in between these to points. sometimes the deer by me bed in different fields depending on the wind. to the very far east it looks like stripes is that farmed land if it is check the woods to the west of it they may hold up in there and go out and feed in that field. I'll write back tomorrow when i have more time. good luck man, hope you bag a 36 pointer