Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
late October-Mid Nov.
0%
Mid. November-Mid. December
21.43%
Mid. December-Early January
35.71%
Early January-Late January
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Alabama Rut Dates

Old 11-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Alabama Rut Dates

Just wondering y'all opinions.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Alabama Rut Dates

I had an opportunity to talk with a man who is a LOT smarter then I am about hunting in Alabama ..he told me he always scheduled his vacation for 5 to 11 days AFTER the full moon in January ...he says after hunting North Alabama for over 30 years he found that to be the window for the rut. I am sure as most hunters in North Alabama andSouthern Tennessee know we have two different species of WT ... the deer30 miles north of usin Tennessee are just now atraing to go into rut .... where as our deer most likely will start in January ...

dd
Old 11-21-2005, 07:03 PM

That's wierd doc, It seems that the deer here In Cherokee County, only 1 and a half hours from you are showing signs of rut - pre rut. The buck and does are chasing each others, I'm hearing grunts, and bleats, and even seen a buck with its nose to the ground, pacing back and forth.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have to say Mid-Late January. 75% of the bucks I kill (8 points or bigger) in West Alabama come in this period. I have 5 on the wall and 4 are during those times. And all 4 were chasing does.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Restocking with different deer genetics and the overpopulation of deer in Bama has led to a screwed up rut. Some of them will rut in early Dec. and 30 miles away they will rut in late Jan. I saw some scrapes in Russell and Barbour county a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

TC I imgine your right ... I have never hunted WMA's but I understand there are a few of those stocked with Michigan and Ohio deer ...and thet do go into rut in December ...but I think by and large most here in Alabama get hot in January ..

dd
Old 11-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a nephew and church friends that belong to a club in Eufala,AL and they are there right now. They say Mid-Nov. thru Mid Dec. is the time to be there.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:22 AM

That's what I thought too reb.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

i voted on the latest dates, deer season really dosen't seem to be the best here till after christmas, i have killed most of my mounted deer from then till the end of jan., one thing that i think effects our different stages of ruts is the sheer number of does we have, if they don't get breed the first cycle they will be back in season in 30 days, just a thought, but i saw a decent buck the other day doggin several does, but i dont see how all the does could be breed the first time they come into heat, possible i guess, but i still consider x-mas till jan 31 the prime time
Old 11-24-2005, 12:21 PM

guys i've hunted barbour co.clayton areafor the past 10 years i've lived here,also hunt with guys who were born and raised here, aolt of them are big land owners, i 've always seen it to be mid to late jan, and even seenbucks chasing does in feb, beside roads & across fields, i did see it around the first of jan about 7 years ago.but i usually take off work the last three weeks of jan. usually gets real good about 5 to 7 days after the full moon.

Quick Reply: Alabama Rut Dates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.