Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 question....please help, thanks >

question....please help, thanks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question....please help, thanks

Old 11-18-2005, 01:27 PM

Default question....please help, thanks

Hey
Basically, my question is as follows:

I am going to my hunting land in WV tomnarrow (SAt.), but my rifle has yet to be properly sighted in. I dont have time to go to the range between now and then so i was wandering if yall thought that me sighting my rifle in, at the farthest possible part on my land (away from the main hunting action), would scare the deer for monday. I would be leaving sat. night, sighting my gun in on sunday (if i can) and then start hunting on Monday through Wednesday. I guess there is alot that this situation depends on, but what are your guys' thoughts about if thhose gun shots will permantently remove the deer from my land. I have 20 acres, and i would be sighting my gun in on the farther possible part of the land as possible (where we really dont hunt alot).

thanks for your ideas and thoughts

Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Default RE: question....please help, thanks

I hun WV too and i ve sighted my rifle in on my land too and i have had no ill efects as far as deer staying in the are...it might spook a tiny bit but they will stay close..
Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 PM

thank alot, yea im pretty sure they will be lil sppoooked, but im guessin they will forget about it hopefully. It will be almost a day between gun shots and hunting time, so maybe it will be enough timme.....thanks buddy
Old 11-18-2005, 02:47 PM

Do it in the middle of the day if you can when they don't move as much and I think you will be ok. It is much better than the alternitive. Hunting with a gun that you have no idea where the bullet is going to go is just reckless.

I think you will be ok though.

Paul
Old 11-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Spike

Do it in the middle of the day if you can when they don't move as much and I think you will be ok. It is much better than the alternitive. Hunting with a gun that you have no idea where the bullet is going to go is just reckless.
I totally agree with Paul... Mid-day is the best time, and I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Deer don't have very long memories, and a few gunshots won't drive them into the next county anyway.
I commend you for asking the question, and caring about your bullets hitting their mark. You can get your gun boresighted at any gunshop, or even buy a fairly inexpensive one at Waly-World, and that will at least "put you on the paper", and cut down on the amount of shooting.
Good luck on your upcoming hunt!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM

i wouldnt worry a whole lot ive shot deer with others around them ,and more often then not they stay within sight and spook when you get out of your stand , but it also depends on the pressure of that area , small game hunters etc.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot guns, the nieghbor kid rides his 4 wheeler, dogs are backing here and there. the deer still mill around the area. i don't think you'll have a problem.

THE FOOT
Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with most everyone else, just take more ammo than you think you will need. Sometimes getting sighted in can require more shots than you expected. BTW, I grew up in Doddridge County. What part of the state will you be hunting in?
Good luck.