Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 u shot, you missed, what would you do next? >

u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

It's hard to be 100% sure of a miss without getting down, and searching!
If you had more than one deer tag, you might just keep hunting for a while, and maybe end up with two! But then I'd search for the first one.
Myself, I consider the hunting over when the trigger is pulled!
I've found a few "missed" deer in my days!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

It's hard to be 100% sure of a miss without getting down, and searching!
If you had more than one deer tag, you might just keep hunting for a while, and maybe end up with two! But then I'd search for the first one.
Myself, I consider the hunting over when the trigger is pulled!
I've found a few "missed" deer in my days!
Right ON!! #1 rule is to atleast get down and check for any sign of blood trail. You might stay in the stand to see if what you shot at returns. Sometimes deer don't realize where the shot has come from, so returning is always a possibility. Good Luck!!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Practice so it would never happen again.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Cut your own shirttail off?

Old 11-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well the FIRST thing I would HAVE to do after I cooled down eneough would be to get down out of my stand and try to find where my rifle landed AFTER I slung it out of the treestand !

dd

Old 11-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

These guys are absolutely right ... you will never know if you hit a deer or not without going to where the deer was standing, looking for hair / blood and following the trail it took for a ways to be sure it didn't start bleeding later. Guns are notmagic ... they don't strike deer down like the hammer of Thor. I once shot a 150lb deer right in the shoulder with a 300WinMag and the deer walked off with NO signs of being hit. I was stunned (first year with the "super" magnum) and didn't think to shoot again until the deer was out of sight. Luckily he only walked 50yds and fell over dead. Shoulder and heart were completely destroyed but you would have never known it to watch him walk off. (I've since gotten rid of the 300WM and gotten a 7mm-08. Same trajectory, deer are just as deadand much less shoulder abuse at the range.)

Also, deer don't have any idea where gun shots come from and they don't necessarily mean "DANGER" to a deer. The first buck I ever killed I hit on the 5th shot .. yeah, 5th. He was walking along about 150yds from me thru the woods and I didn't have anything to rest the gun on. I would pick an opening thru the trees, wait for him to walk into it and pull the trigger ... repeat until I hit the deer. With all that shooting, the deer never even changed his pace. Just a casual walk. Either they can't hear gunshots or they mean nothing to them. Not sure which!

Anyway, the moral of these stories is : always follow up EVERY time you shoot at a deer; keep shooting (safely) until the deer is down and dead; you don't have to abandon a stand just because you shot at a deer there once.

Good luck with your 1st deer season!! There's nothing like it ... Shockwave
Old 11-18-2005, 11:06 AM

Anybody who hasn't missed, hasn't been hunting very long. Everyone will miss eventually.

Stay in the stand and keep hunting, those gun shots don't scare them too bad.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well initially I would try and get a 2nd shot until the deer went out of sight. Then I may wait a couple minutes and get down to thoroughly inspect the area for signs of a hit. If assured a clean miss, back in the stand till the next deer comes by.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Dip182000

if you are still hunting buy a dang range finder already and dont miss, and if you miss after that should you really still be hunting? come on if you cant hit with this much of a easy set up your likely to wound more then kill so stop hunting a do everyone a favor.
its a shame that not everyone is as skilled a marksman as you. but until we can all perfect the art why dont you give this guy a break and offer some real advice.

khuengo- if you do miss, check the spot and make sure. you can almost never be 100% sure you missed but checking the spot helps. after you do this and can be as near to positive as can be then i would go back and re-hunt the stand. if its in a good spot then more deer will most likely come. good luck!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

I would get out of my stand and go check for blood. then if there is no blood i'd go home get some sleep and go huntin the next morning.

Quick Reply: u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.