Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 question about sighting in rifle...need help >

question about sighting in rifle...need help

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about sighting in rifle...need help

Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Default question about sighting in rifle...need help

My question is in regards to sighting in my newly purchased Savage 270. I tried to a few days ago, but my pattern was not good at all. Most of the time, it seems as if the bullet didnt even hit the target. How can i sight in my gun when i cant even see where the slug is hitting, i have nowhere to start - i cant say "ok, its down 1 inch and to the left 2" and work from there. How can i sight my gun in more efficiently. Also, are there scopes that give more eye relief. Once in a while my scope will come back and basically hit me in my forhead....how can i prevent this? any suggestions will be hreatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 02:43 PM

Default RE: question about sighting in rifle...need help

This is going to sound a little silly, but one good way to get started with sighting-in is to start pretty close to the target--as close as 25 yards. Once you get an idea of where the bullets are hitting the target, increase the range until you're at a hunting distance.

Also, the rifle should be boresighted first--that basically assures that the scope is lined up with the barrel. You can have someone boresight the rifle or you can do ityourself, of course, but it takes some practice and/or investment in a boresighting tool like a laser boresighter.

(I'm sure someone will chime in with how to boresight a rifle without using a special tool; me, I have a laser, and it's pretty easy that way.)
Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could write a whole book here to help but dont have time. The 1st thing you should do is tighten all of the screws on anew gun. I would take the scope off if its a combo rifle (came with scope attached) and tighten everything myself. If you dont have a gun shop close to get it bore sighted. Get a very good rest(very important tohave a good rest)remove the bolt and look thru barrel at the target and slowly move head into scope and see how close it is(this only works if guns doesnt move when your head does). I use a paper plate at 50yrds for this. This usually gets me on the plate. IF you cannot do this because your rest isnt good enough, use a large piece of cardboard at 25 yrds or so and see where your hitting. Then adjust scope from there.
Make sure you put the scope on your rifle as far forward as possible(and still seethru it ok)so when there is recoil it has more room to come back. If it is a combo rifle the scope is prob kinda crappy and wont have the eye relief as a quality scope.
Take your time shooting and let the gun cool down between a couple of shots. Make sure you clean the gun after shooting. You should have cleaned it before you shot the 1st time. There are more posts on this subject so usethe search feature to get more advice. If you cant find what you need from there then Pm me I'll give you my phone # and talk you thru it.
Getting popped in the head is no fun and shouldnt happen. Being unexperienced and getting a gun with a higher recoil like that isnt the best thing to do, but thats what you have and you'll get the help you need here one way or another. Dont get to discouraged.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

one hting i would say is go to a range that has the sand/dirt hill behind the target, so you can see(hopefully) which side of the target your bullet is hitting

when i got my savage 30-06, i didnt have to change a thing, right out of the box it was perfectly sighted in.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

I could write a whole book here to help but dont have time. The 1st thing you should do is tighten all of the screws on anew gun. I would take the scope off if its a combo rifle (came with scope attached) and tighten everything myself. If you dont have a gun shop close to get it bore sighted. Get a very good rest(very important tohave a good rest)remove the bolt and look thru barrel at the target and slowly move head into scope and see how close it is(this only works if guns doesnt move when your head does). I use a paper plate at 50yrds for this. This usually gets me on the plate. IF you cannot do this because your rest isnt good enough, use a large piece of cardboard at 25 yrds or so and see where your hitting. Then adjust scope from there.
Make sure you put the scope on your rifle as far forward as possible(and still seethru it ok)so when there is recoil it has more room to come back. If it is a combo rifle the scope is prob kinda crappy and wont have the eye relief as a quality scope.
Take your time shooting and let the gun cool down between a couple of shots. Make sure you clean the gun after shooting. You should have cleaned it before you shot the 1st time. There are more posts on this subject so usethe search feature to get more advice. If you cant find what you need from there then Pm me I'll give you my phone # and talk you thru it.
Getting popped in the head is no fun and shouldnt happen. Being unexperienced and getting a gun with a higher recoil like that isnt the best thing to do, but thats what you have and you'll get the help you need here one way or another. Dont get to discouraged.

Thats why i like this place,people helping people...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 PM

thanks alot, i guess i will have to try to invest in a new scope or something, b/c it feels that my eye is directly on the scope, and it spurts back at me after the recoil takes place. Another ? is: do guns comme bore sighted when they are new. I bought mine from bass pro shop annd they told me that most, or all, guns are boresighted in the factory. Is this true? if not i guess ill just take it to dicks and see if they will do it for me. Thanks for the replies
Old 11-17-2005, 04:27 PM

Moose told you right! sight it in at 25 yds then move out to range wanted this will save time and money on shells!
ORIGINAL: Moose_Maximus

This is going to sound a little silly, but one good way to get started with sighting-in is to start pretty close to the target--as close as 25 yards. Once you get an idea of where the bullets are hitting the target, increase the range until you're at a hunting distance.

Also, the rifle should be boresighted first--that basically assures that the scope is lined up with the barrel. You can have someone boresight the rifle or you can do ityourself, of course, but it takes some practice and/or investment in a boresighting tool like a laser boresighter.

(I'm sure someone will chime in with how to boresight a rifle without using a special tool; me, I have a laser, and it's pretty easy that way.)
Old 11-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Ditto on tightening all the screws. Loose screws can mess you up big time.

You never told us how close to the target you are. Like someone said, even with a properlyboresighted gun, you need to start at 25 yards or even closer. If you try to shoot further than that, any small inaccuracy is multiplied by the distance and the bullet that would be a few inches off at 25 yardscould miss the target totally at 50 or 100.

Use a larger target. I use largish (2 foot or even larger) cardboard moving boxes. Throw a rock or two intothe bottomto weight them down, and you have a good, large target holder to staple or tape targets onto (for transportation to and from the range, I simply fold the box flat).I use a box large enough to put at least two conventional100 yard targets horizontal.

If you're not hitting a normal sized target, for initial sighting, cover the whole thing with plainpaper ornews print or such with an X or spot in the middle (I use stick on orange target spots). If you don't hit THAT target at 25 yards, move the target to 10 yards. I see guys at the range all the time shooting new guns very close, so it won't be that odd. Go from there and move out once you get the thing zeroed in close. You can cover old holes with masking tape or replace the paper.

Once you get it close to sighted in you can use regular size targets (I still use the box as a holder and carry a staple gun to attach the targets.)

If this doesn't get you on the paper and zeroed, take it to any gun shop - they should be happy to bore sight it for you. Buy some ammo from them and I'll bet they do it for free. After bore sighting take it back to the range with a large target at close range.

As for cleaning the gun: be aware that an oiled bore can throw the shot significantly different (several inches possibly) than a dry or previously fired barrel. Whenever you oil your barrel, consider the first shot a throwaway. I personally would never go hunting with a freshly cleaned and oiled barrel. I'd shoot at least one shot through it before taking a shot at game.

When you adjust the scope, knock the scope fairly firmly with something that will jar it without damaging it (some guys use little rubber hammers like a doctor's reflex hammer). The reason for this is that sometimes scopes won't perfectly follow the adjustment until jarred by a shot or by the rapping.Consider this before any first shot after adjustment: If you don't give it a rap, that first shot might be closer to the original scope setting than the adjusted scope setting. The second shot should reflect the adjustment. This isn't always true, justa good routine thing to do to make sure.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM

Oh, another couple of points: For sighting I really recommend some sort of solid rest. I have a cheapish (~$40) gun "Vise" that can be used for sighting as well as in the shop at home to hold it for cleaning etc. After initial sighting I always shoot it on sand bag rests (I made from old denim and sand from the kids sandbox!). That's because I think the vise holds the gun in such a way to affect the zero. But it's handy to have for initial scope adjustment (do a search for "two shot zero"). Sand bags or similar will do though. Don't try to just hold the gun for sighting in. After you get it sighted in, you should indeed practice a LOT by just holding the gun in common hunting positions though.

Second point - regarding the eye relief. Another reason to take it apart to tighten all the screws is to adjust the positon of the scope. With the rings loose, hold the gun in a comfortable, natural position and slide the scope forward or backward in the rings to where the relief is correct. Then rotate it so the cross hairs are square. Then tighten slowly and carefully.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM

zekestar-

So, in regards to the scop adjustment, your saying that i can move the scope up or down on the gun and that will give me more eye relief? i thought that the scope was precisely placed in that position, I didnt know i could move it and still have it work. You think i can do it myself, or should i take it to the store. Also, will this adjustment give me much needed eye relief or just a little. Thank you very much for your ideas, it is appreciated.

Quick Reply: question about sighting in rifle...need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.