Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Open sights vs scopes on shotguns

Old 11-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Open sights vs scopes on shotguns

Sabot slugs and a scope. For me it's the only way to go.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 PM

I shoot sabots with a rifled barrel out of an 870. I've got a b square scope mount with a 2.5-7 scope on it and i love it. If I was shooting foster slugs I probably wouldn't use a scope, but I can reach out past 150 and don't like the idea of open sights for that.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

i use an ithaca 12 guage with open sights and a mossberg 835 with a scope. the moss is heavier and has a longer barrel, ported and rifled. the ithaca is short, light, rifled alsoand tends to kick and climb more than the mossberg. i've never taken a deer over 50 yards. i've only been hunting 3 years so hopefully i'll get to see just how good i am with a slug gun and get a chance to take some distance shot this year. i'm zeroing the guns right know. the mossberg feels good and looks like it may be a tack driver as long as i do everything right. The ithaca may take some practice. i've never been keen on recoil and this baby love to buck being a featherlite. oh well just have to shoot moregood luck all this year.

THE FOOT
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SparrowHawk

Remington 870 express Magnum. Rifled barrel and my scope. I swear i can't miss.

Scope everytime no questions asked.. unless your in some thick stuff of course
Same here. Remington 870 Express Mag, Walnut Stock, Rifled Barrel, Nikon Shotgun Scope, Federal Premium Hydra-Shock 3-inch Sabot slugs......HEAVEN.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Typical Buck

Just got a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag Combo with a 24" Rifles Cantilever barrel in June. Topped it with a Bushnell Sportsman 1.5-4.5x32mm, and it's dead on out to 100yds with regular remington slugs, 2 3/4" I dont see a need for expensive sabots, especially when the regular slugs are dead nuts. I'll let you know how they perform Saturday
Old 11-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here I thought I was the only one left who still shot a bolt action shotgun.

Mossberg M695 (bolt action) w/22" ported rifled barrel topped with a Bushnell Trophy 1.5 - 4 throws the Lightfield sabots and the Brenneke sabots with 1" groups @ 100 yards.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:47 AM

This is my first year of hunting and It was recomended to me to try open sights the first year. That way I could see better around me and just to keep it more simple. I am going to see how I like it this year and I might or might not get a scope next year. It will depend if I need it or not.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM

If you shoot well with open sights they do tend to be quicker and more rugged. Especially for close up type of stuff. However at distances beyond 50 yards I shoot better with a scope. I have met some that shoot really well at longer distances with open sights though.

Paul
Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im an old fart and cant see up close much anymore so it makes it tuff to focus on a fixed sight or open sight ..so alas I need a scope ..

dd
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM

open sights all the way with shotguns. Last 4 deer i've killed during gun season could've been stepped off in feet, not yards, so what's the point. That and my deer gun doubles as my waterfowl gun with the change of a barrel.

I feel confident with open sights at 100 yards. Know your limits.

Quick Reply: Open sights vs scopes on shotguns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.